PDA

View Full Version : The Russian Hubble?

Fraser
2011-Aug-04, 08:50 PM
This is hardly breaking news, but there’s a new Russian space telescope in town. With a name like an anime character, Spektr R was launched on 18 July 2011 and its 10 metre carbon fibre dish was deployed a week later. It’s a radio telescope and – via a very large baseline array project known [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/87951/the-russian-hubble/)

Amber Robot
2011-Aug-04, 10:41 PM
Can someone please explain what the author of the article is trying to convey in this paragraph:

"That’s why you can usefully create radio telescope arrays, but you can’t gain much value from arraying visible light telescope arrays (at least not yet). The information conveyed by radio light is spread widely enough so that you can estimate the information it is carrying from just detecting it at two widely spread detectors – and then superimposing that data. The fine detailed information contained in visible light is just too complex to allow this."

I think the author must have seriously misinterpreted something that an astronomer said or is just winging it without really knowing what he's talking about. Or I'm just hopelessly confused.

Tobin Dax
2011-Aug-04, 11:53 PM
The whole article seems like it could be light-hearted, but I'm not getting it. I don't quite understand what he's getting at, either (assuming he's serious), and I some of my best friends are radio astronomers too. (See the comments.)

I think the author must have seriously misinterpreted something that an astronomer said or is just winging it without really knowing what he's talking about.

I'd guess that it's a combination of both.