PDA

View Full Version : SyFy disappontment continues: Eureka

NEOWatcher
2011-Aug-09, 04:46 PM
'Eureka' canceled, sixth season plans dropped (http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/08/08/eureka-cancelled/?hpt=hp_t2)

Remember how Syfy ordered six episodes for a potential final season last week? Well, tonight the network decided that not only is the series firmly going to end, but those final six episodes are not going to happen after all.
NO!

I think Eureka's been the best thing that channel has done since the miniseries "Taken".

I'd like to know what the issue is. They don't mention declining viewership or anything like that. They do mention "deals", but if it's a deal issue, then why cancel the last 6? Hasn't that "deal" already been made?

I just hope they don't mess up those last episodes the same way they did with Caprica.

Maybe not, since Caprica was on ongoing saga, while each Eureka episode can mostly stand alone.

Jim
2011-Aug-09, 04:52 PM
I was just reading that article.

SyFy has developed a really, really bad habit of airing very good original scifi programs, and then losing interest in them and either letting them degrade or just cancelling them outright.

But, on the plus side, this opens a spot for Ghost Hunter Wrestlemania!

Cookie
2011-Aug-09, 05:07 PM
Alright, that's the last straw.
As of this moment, I will never again snap into a Slim Jim.
:silenced:

Garrison
2011-Aug-09, 07:26 PM
Well that just leaves Warehouse 13, and who knows how long before they decide to cancel that?

Selenite
2011-Aug-10, 12:52 AM
Let's face it. So-called "reality programming" like wrestling and the stupid paranormal shows are here to stay. Because it’s less expensive to produce and typically gets as-good or better ratings than scripted fare, reality TV has become a building block for the television landscape in the twenty-first century. It's also why there there are no more music videos on MTV as well. Block programming holds an audience longer than a five minute video. The executives who run these channels also like RP because there's less complaining from the audience when they decide a show is not pulling it's weight and cancel. You can't really build long term loyalty to a ghost hunter show when basically every episode is the same thing.

novaderrik
2011-Aug-10, 06:54 AM
actually, they do play a lot of videos on MTV.. just not on the original MTV channel.. it's over on MTV Hits..

as for SyFy, i think they get rid of successful shows because they don't have the budget to keep them going, and they aren't successful enough to put them on one of the other networks in the empire. so they just kind of let them die.

Tobin Dax
2011-Aug-10, 08:06 AM
If you think about it, the most surprising thing about this announcement is that it's before filming has ended.

Jim
2011-Aug-10, 12:07 PM
They've announced "final seasons" for a few other shows, haven't they? BSG, maybe SG1 and SGA?

I've grown fond of Haven. And I actually liked the first season of Sanctuary.

tusenfem
2011-Aug-10, 01:29 PM
Oh that sucks bigtime! Eureka is one of my favourite shows! "bank robbery"? really only in Eureka!

NEOWatcher
2011-Aug-10, 02:55 PM
Let's face it. So-called "reality programming" like wrestling and the stupid paranormal shows are here to stay. Because it’s less expensive to produce and typically gets as-good or better ratings than scripted fare,
It depends on the show. (or the people I know)
I almost never run into people who watch the paranormal or fighting shows. But; I do run into plenty that watch stuff like idol, survivor and stuff like that.

It doesn't have to have good ratings to make a profit. It just has to be cheaper than the market share can support in advertising revenue. There are some advertisers that just flood thier commercials wherever they can. As long as there's some marketshare, there's going to be some advertiser. (this also explains infomercials)

The executives who run these channels also like RP because there's less complaining from the audience when they decide a show is not pulling it's weight and cancel. You can't really build long term loyalty to a ghost hunter show when basically every episode is the same thing.
As a general statement about RP, I disagree. Just see how much flack there was when Simon Cowel left.
I guess we need 2 levels of RP.
1. Everyday people being involved even if there is some minor "scripting".
2. Contrived situations made to look like it's reality. (I never did consider these as RP)

NEOWatcher
2011-Aug-10, 02:59 PM
"bank robbery"? really only in Eureka!
That was great. And it wasn't the situation and pun that made it great. It was the emotions flowing from Carter that made it so funny.

Solfe
2011-Aug-10, 03:23 PM
I don't watch Siffi any more. There is nothing on that station. BBC America seems to have taken over as the Sci-Fi and entertainment channel.

ToSeek
2011-Aug-10, 03:44 PM
I watch Warehouse 13, and my wife and I watch Eureka. It's disappointing that it's been cancelled, but with the large cast it certainly had to be expensive. And at least there's another 1.5 seasons to go before it's done, so the writers have a chance to bring things to a nice conclusion.

phunk
2011-Aug-10, 05:12 PM
If you think about it, the most surprising thing about this announcement is that it's before filming has ended.

It was announced (and told to the cast & crew) two days before the last episode begins filming. Which means a real ending wasn't written for the series.

phunk
2011-Aug-10, 05:13 PM
I watch Warehouse 13, and my wife and I watch Eureka. It's disappointing that it's been cancelled, but with the large cast it certainly had to be expensive. And at least there's another 1.5 seasons to go before it's done, so the writers have a chance to bring things to a nice conclusion.

They have already filmed all but the last episode of season 5, which they start tomorrow. Don't get your hopes up for a good ending.

NEOWatcher
2011-Aug-10, 05:25 PM
And at least there's another 1.5 seasons to go before it's done, so the writers have a chance to bring things to a nice conclusion.
Gee, I thought they were already in season 5. These 1/2 seasons are confusing.
(not to pick nits, but I see we have 1.25 seasons to go (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Eureka_episodes))

Garrison
2011-Aug-10, 06:21 PM

And given the bizarre broadcast schedule they've adopted with Eureka it could be 2 or 3 years before it actually finishes.

NEOWatcher
2011-Aug-10, 06:41 PM
And given the bizarre broadcast schedule they've adopted...
It's not just Eureka. It's the entire channel. I never see the same schedule from week to week.

And they wonder why people don't watch... They can't find the shows.

The Backroad Astronomer
2011-Aug-11, 11:06 AM
what!!!
no no no no no no no!!!!!!!

The Backroad Astronomer
2011-Aug-11, 11:14 AM
I've grown fond of Haven. And I actually liked the first season of Sanctuary.

With Haven I am waiting for them to have chase scene to the Canadian border and hear my hometown or one of islands being named. It came close a couple of weeks ago. I would like to see someone making it to Campabello Island and getting off then realizing they have to cross a bridge into Maine and getting caught there.

swampyankee
2011-Aug-11, 02:50 PM
Right now, there are few SyFy channel shows I watch: Eureka and Warehouse 13, and the reruns of the original Twilight Zone*. Of course, I'm so far outside of the target demographic for TV programming (advertisers prefer 18-24 year-old gullible wastrels**) they probably wouldn't care even if they were to notice I was gone.

To add insult to injury, the SyFy channel's executives have probably written the contract with Eureka's producers in such a way that they will not be allowed to try to get new episodes aired by somebody else (TNT does some interesting shows right now ;)) or even get reruns aired in syndication. I like Eureka, not just because of the quirky writing, but I really think its cast does a good job.

NEOWatcher
2011-Aug-11, 03:12 PM
I like Eureka, not just because of the quirky writing, but I really think its cast does a good job.
I never thought of it before, but I think you hit a nerve with me on that one. Even though the personalities were written into the character, the casting crew did a great job in selecting people who were natural for the parts, and not just a homogenious set of actors acting out those personalities. I miss the Jim Taggart character.

(And I can even live with Wil Wheaton in there)

swampyankee
2011-Aug-11, 04:03 PM
I never thought of it before, but I think you hit a nerve with me on that one. Even though the personalities were written into the character, the casting crew did a great job in selecting people who were natural for the parts, and not just a homogenious set of actors acting out those personalities. I miss the Jim Taggart character.

(And I can even live with Wil Wheaton in there)

Well, the character Wheaton is playing is incredibly annoying. Type casting?

Writing, direction, ensemble dynamics: it all works for Eureka and for Warehouse 13. Since I don't watch much TV, I don't know how common these all working together are.

CJSF
2011-Aug-11, 07:58 PM
Well, the character Wheaton is playing is incredibly annoying. Type casting?

Writing, direction, ensemble dynamics: it all works for Eureka and for Warehouse 13. Since I don't watch much TV, I don't know how common these all working together are.

Yes, but in this case his character is supposed to be incredibly annoying!

CJSF

Garrison
2011-Aug-11, 08:51 PM
Well here in the UK I'm looking at the SyFy schedule and seeing the split personality of their programme making; the excellent Warehouse 13 followed by 'Almighty Thor' another in their long line of trashy movies, this one blatantly trying to cash in on the Marvel film.

swampyankee
2011-Aug-11, 08:57 PM
Yes, but in this case his character is supposed to be incredibly annoying!

CJSF

The only actors from Eureka I've seen in anything else are Wil Wheaton (Star Trek: the New Generation) and Olivia d'Abo (Conan the Destroyer), and I don't remember anything about "acting" in that movie.