PDA

View Full Version : Geocentric and Geodetic Coordinate Systems

bcgveoiq
2011-Aug-10, 04:10 AM
Are Geocentric and Geodetic Coordinate Systems equal to each other? Or at least their X,Y and Z components are equal?
The Geocentric Latitude is an essential part of the Geodetic Coordinate System. It can be calculated directly from the Geodetic Latitude or Geographic Latitude. Yes Geodetic Longitude and Latitude are one in the same as the Geographic Longitude and Latitude.

grapes
2011-Aug-10, 04:15 AM
Are Geocentric and Geodetic Coordinate Systems equal to each other? Or at least their X,Y and Z components are equal? Not sure exactly what you are asking here. There are no X,Y,Z coordinates in either system. I'll check this in a minute, there may be something I'm missing.

If you mean, do they start with the same earth? The answer to that is yes, in theory, as much as we can know the earth.

The Geocentric Latitude is an essential part of the Geodetic Coordinate System. It can be calculated directly from the Geodetic Latitude or Geographic Latitude. Yes Geodetic Longitude and Latitude are one in the same as the Geographic Longitude and Latitude.
Welcome to BAUT!

Tensor
2011-Aug-10, 04:32 AM
Are Geocentric and Geodetic Coordinate Systems equal to each other? Or at least their X,Y and Z components are equal?

No, they are not. The have to be converted from one to the other as they are determined differently.

The Geocentric Latitude is an essential part of the Geodetic Coordinate System. It can be calculated directly from the Geodetic Latitude or Geographic Latitude.

This should give you a hint that they are different. Since you have to convert one from the other.

Yes Geodetic Longitude and Latitude are one in the same as the Geographic Longitude and Latitude.

Actually, no they're not. There are several different map datums and thy have different information in them. Depending on which one you are using, Geodetic may not match Geographic. Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodetic_system) has a pretty good article on it.

grapes
2011-Aug-10, 04:50 AM
Actually, no they're not. There are several different map datums and thy have different information in them. Depending on which one you are using, Geodetic may not match Geographic. Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodetic_system) has a pretty good article on it.Even geodetic may not match geodetic. :)

But geographic can match geodetic. If they...match.

Tensor
2011-Aug-10, 04:52 AM
Even geodetic may not match geodetic. :)

But geographic can match geodetic. If they...match.

Well, I did say "may not". I left the possibility open. If they were the same, they would match all the time, right?