PDA

View Full Version : Milky way - reloaded.

bloodhound31
2011-Aug-26, 02:19 AM
Finally! I got a clear night with no moon, no clouds, and no work the next day!! I stayed out until around 2am and shot a range of things I have been meaning to experiment with.

First cab off the rank - the milky way, around 4 minutes using an EQ6 pro mount under my camera to track the stars for the duration.

Baz.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2up96dc.jpg

Middenrat
2011-Aug-27, 01:59 AM
Thanks for showing, and taxi!

bloodhound31
2011-Aug-27, 02:45 AM
Taxi-boat? ;)

elizabeth25
2011-Aug-28, 11:01 PM
WOW, thats all i can say. Lol that is beautiful

bloodhound31
2011-Aug-29, 01:34 AM
WOW, thats all i can say. Lol that is beautiful

Thanks Elizabeth!

Baz.

kzb
2011-Aug-31, 11:58 AM
Question: On the Sky at Night the other month, they said that when you see the Milky Way, what you see is simply the nearest spur of a spiral arm. Yet this photo looks like it shows the central galactic bulge quite clearly.

So which is correct? can we see the galactic bulge from here or is it a small offshoot of a spiral arm?

bloodhound31
2011-Aug-31, 01:17 PM
The Sun and our solar system lies in between two spiral arms. We are just on the inner edge of the Orion arm, looking back in (for this photo) toward the central bulge on the other side of the next inner Sagittarius arm.

You can back that up by looking a the stars in the picture, as the constellation Sagittarius is in that direction.

As you can see, there are a LOT of stars, dust, gas and other matter in-between us and the galactic core, blocking most of it from sight.

Later on in the year, we are facing in the opposite direction at night, so we see the constellation Orion as we peer towards the outside of the galaxy, so we don't see the galactic bulge anymore.

I hope this makes sense.

Baz.

kzb
2011-Aug-31, 05:32 PM
OK thanks Baz, so later in the year what we see as the milky way will just be a spiral arm, or do we not percieve a milky way in that direction?

bloodhound31
2011-Aug-31, 11:18 PM
In the other direction it's not as milky, but you can certainly still see a band of a greater concentration of stars out there.

PaulLogan
2011-Sep-01, 12:26 AM
The Sun and our solar system lies in between two spiral arms. We are just on the inner edge of the Orion arm, looking back in (for this photo) toward the central bulge on the other side of the next inner Sagittarius arm.

You can back that up by looking a the stars in the picture, as the constellation Sagittarius is in that direction.

As you can see, there are a LOT of stars, dust, gas and other matter in-between us and the galactic core, blocking most of it from sight.

Later on in the year, we are facing in the opposite direction at night, so we see the constellation Orion as we peer towards the outside of the galaxy, so we don't see the galactic bulge anymore.

I hope this makes sense.

Baz.

ahh! that was useful information and makes sense.
thanks for sharing!
and especially thanks for sharing your stunning images!

bloodhound31
2011-Sep-04, 01:18 PM
My pleasure Paul.

This sold over the weekend as a 20 x 30 inch print. I was stunned at how good it looked in print! If you think it looks good on the screen, you should see it on a wall!

Baz.