PDA

View Full Version : Debunking article - "The Irish Times" - May 2, 2002

JJ
2002-May-05, 06:05 PM
Neat debunking article by Dr William Reville in "The Irish Times" on May 2, 2002.

URL:

http://scripts.ireland.com/search/highlight.plx?TextRes=reville&Path=/newspaper/science/2002/0502/2804917402ftsc2reville_a.html

A quote:

""OK", I can hear you say, but why bother with stuff like this? Isn't there always a market for small-minority crackpot views and isn't paying attention only giving them the oxygen of publicity? It turns out that the minority we are discussing is actually quite sizeable. A recent survey found that 20 per cent of US citizens expressed doubt as to whether NASA landed men on the moon. It is disturbing to think that such a significant minority believes in fairytales. If scientists can disprove the evidence for a NASA hoax, then it is important that this be done."

JJ

JayUtah
2002-May-05, 06:11 PM
That's the second time I've heard the 20% figure without a citation or attribution. What study is this?

Jim_McBrearty
2002-May-05, 06:33 PM
Despite my alarmingly Irish sounding name, I would like to say right now that i'm from Scotland.

Bottom line is: It's from Ireland. The only things you can trust from their are:

1. Guiness
2. Smuggled Semtex

Jim_McBrearty
2002-May-05, 06:33 PM
Despite my alarmingly Irish sounding name, I would like to say right now that i'm from Scotland.

Bottom line is: It's from Ireland. The only things you can trust from their are:

1. Guiness
2. Smuggled Semtex

The Curtmudgeon
2002-May-06, 08:11 PM
On 2002-05-05 14:33, Jim_McBrearty wrote:

Yeah, and your favourite team is Rangers, too, isn't it? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif [Sorry, Jim, I posted this before I saw it covered in the other thread. Greenock's cool, I guess. Being a traditional no-hoper, I'm partial to Partick Thistle, myself. Following Scotland in the football World Cup is what made me a no-hoper in the first place, of course. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif ]

Well, the McEwen's 80-shilling is decent in Scotland, and a couple of other 70/80-shillings that I tried when there last, but I'll take Dublin Guinness over it every time.

Back to the discussion: quickie searches on Google for "Apollo Moon Hoax 20%" (but they didn't take the '%'), "Apollo Moon Hoax science poll" and "Apollo Moon Hoax Gallup poll"--and guess whose web site turned up #1 on all three searches? Hint: we're here already. (Fair warning, though: here's how Google does their relevancy ratings (http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html)!)

Phil discredits the 20% figure already, by pointing to a '99 Gallup poll that showed 6%, but no, I can't find any source for the 20% figure itself. But, then, that poll was years ago, and inflation has obviously set in. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

The (a percentage here, a percentage there) Curtmudgeon

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Curtmudgeon on 2002-05-06 16:17 ]</font>

Jim
2002-May-06, 11:17 PM
I think the "source" for the 20% figure is the HBers. It can't be traced back to any legitimate poll of which I'm aware (or anyone else here, apparently).

There are two possibilities:
1) Some HBer (Kaysing?) made that estimate after querying his acquaintances;
2) It's made-up whole cloth.

Of course, 50% of all statistics are made-up.

JayUtah
2002-May-06, 11:21 PM
Some HBs quote the Gallup results from 1999 which would not include the effects from the Fox program. But I have never seen a source for the 20% figure. I would like to.