PDA

View Full Version : Photograph of the Earth and Moon together from Juno

Orlagh Maher
2011-Aug-31, 01:11 PM
This article has a photograph of the Earth and Moon together (http://news.discovery.com/space/juno-looks-back-snaps-earth-moon-system-110830.html). It was taken from a distance of six million miles.

Our world is so very small.

grapes
2011-Aug-31, 02:51 PM
The BA blogged about this photo.

They two dots seem too close, to me. I measured them, pixel for pixel, and it looks like the small dot is only out about 16-17 diameters of the large dot. It should be 30, for the earth/moon.

I thought at first it might be foreshortened, but the photo was taken near the time of new moon--and the Juno path is close to the earth orbital path, so that doesn't seem to be it. Maybe they're overexposed? Dunno.

Gsquare
2011-Sep-01, 03:16 AM
The BA blogged about this photo.

They two dots seem too close, to me. I measured them, pixel for pixel, and it looks like the small dot is only out about 16-17 diameters of the large dot. It should be 30, for the earth/moon..

My take on it:
Juno is looking back from an orbit ahead and slightly interior to that of earth, so earth appears to be in slightly gibbous phase as viewed from Juno, lowering the pixel 'diameter' close to 1/2 the 'real' value.

G^2

grapes
2011-Sep-01, 03:33 AM
My take on it:
Juno is looking back from an orbit ahead and slightly interior to that of earth, so earth appears to be in slightly gibbous phase as viewed from Juno, lowering the pixel 'diameter' close to 1/2 the 'real' value.
Which makes it even worse, no? :)

Gsquare
2011-Sep-01, 03:41 AM
Which makes it even worse, no? :)
Yes, it would not help your dilema at all; :))
Gotta be over exposure;
...unless, of course, er , well, high tide did seem much higher last night. :eek: