PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful Shining..Wait what is that exactly?!

AstroAdmirer
2011-Sep-03, 08:08 PM
Its a bird...its a plane...its...wait what is that beautiful shining "thing" in the sky!!?!?!?!
I am currently in north phoenix and if i stand outside my apartment facing east I can see this object shining ever so brightly more brightly than anything else in the sky(cant see the moon from my location right now) I would say it is east and a little south in the sky...I have been watching this beautiful mystery for about a week or so now and I am sure its getting brighter. AND last night I managed to catch a picture WITH MY CAMERA ON MY CELL PHONE! Mind you I do NOT have a state of the art "smart" phone I have an LG rumor touch! With the combination of this object being brighter and the sky being so clear more clear than ive seen in years im sure...I was able to capture the light of my night that is ever so close to my heart! I am always amazed at Gods work as an artist. (oh and if you dont believe in God please please do not bash my beliefs in his creation. I promise never to bash your beliefs)
15362:think:

Middenrat
2011-Sep-04, 12:46 AM
The most eye-catching object of your description is Jupiter, beautiful isn't it?
Your photograph has a smudged area extending to the right of the main subject: if not a lens flare or somesuch this represents one or more of J's larger moons.
Welcome to the Boards, we won't mention the 'R' word if you don't ;)

chrlzs
2011-Sep-04, 01:54 AM
Hi, AA, welcome.

Yes, that's almost certainly Jupiter. And no matter who created it, or if it was created, the Universe is a wonderful, beautiful sight. May I suggest that you get:

- a free copy of Stellarium (http://stellarium.org/), so you will never be in doubt about what is in your sky again, and

- a decent set of binoculars (10 x 50 is a good spec for starters!) so you can also clearly see Jupiter's moons.

BTW, the smudge isn't really in the right direction for its moons and that camera probably isn't up to that sort of magnification or resolution anyways, so I think it's more likely an optical effect like CA and/or a bit of motion blur.

Middenrat
2011-Sep-04, 02:15 AM
... BTW, the smudge isn't really in the right direction for its moons and that camera probably isn't up to that sort of magnification or resolution anyways, so I think it's more likely an optical effect like CA and/or a bit of motion blur.

I concur, being ignorant of The Gallilean's orientation presently and originally amazed @ cellphone's resolution, also a point of ignorance.

RenoNV
2011-Sep-06, 12:06 PM
Well, the four Galilean moons are bright enough for naked eyes. Jupiter just shines too brightly for it to be generally noticed, but since those moons orbit far enough away, there are events and tricks to be able to see them. Without any reference stars in the photo, you cannot tell if the smudge is parallel to the ecliptic, as that is the orientation of the moons orbital plane. Even low power finderscopes usually show the moons, I suppose it might be possible for a modern camera.