PDA

View Full Version : Speak out with your geek out

ToSeek
2011-Sep-12, 02:52 AM
Take a stance against baiting nerd rage and stereotypes of geeks.

Post about how much you love your geeky hobbies or vocation from Monday, September 12th, 2011 to Friday, September 16th on your blog, website, social media account or in a forum somewhere. Then come here and tell us about it. We'll have a kick-off post where you can stand and be counted.

Let's show the world why we're awesome and why there is nothing wrong with being a geek.

- http://www.speakoutwithyourgeekout.com/

ToSeek
2011-Sep-12, 02:56 AM
For me:

- Star Trek fan (duh!) since 1966.
- Doctor Who fan since the late 1980's.
- Science fiction in general since forever.
- Science in general since at least the second grade.
- Freddy the Pig (series of children's books) since the second grade.
- Women's professional soccer since the first league started in 2001.
- Mac geek since 1985.

There's probably more, but those are the high spots. Your turn.

pzkpfw
2011-Sep-12, 03:06 AM
I'm 41 and play weekly D&D.
'nuff said.

Trebuchet
2011-Sep-12, 03:10 AM
Catapults!

(Bet you'd never have guessed!)

Middenrat
2011-Sep-12, 03:47 AM
Favourite webby: why, BAUT. QED.

Gillianren
2011-Sep-12, 03:55 AM
Catapults!

I'm shocked!

Also someone who voluntarily spends three weekends a year in a field teasing a woman dressed as Mary Queen of Scots. Who am I to talk?

HenrikOlsen
2011-Sep-12, 04:35 AM
I'm 41 and play weekly D&D.
'nuff said.
I'm 45 and prefer GURPS. :) Unfortunately only have time to play bi-weekly.
I also have a tattoo that shows I'm a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and I enjoyed watching the Power Puff Girls until the Cartoon Network started dubbing them to Danish here, the new voices are horrible.
Just took a pause from watching the entire run of Ghost in the Shell, at SAC 2nd GIG Episode 9, to watch the Family Guy parodies of the Star Wars trilogy. Which is taking a long time as I keep stopping it to look up references.
And will argue vehemently that the myth that there was ever a Star Trek V movie is false.

Fazor
2011-Sep-12, 04:42 AM
Um. 10,000+ posts on BAUT? Gaming site? Watch cartoons, including Heathcliff on Netflix every night as I fall asleep? Office job selling insurance. I think I've covered enough ground.

cjl
2011-Sep-12, 06:24 AM
Hmmm....

Computers (I love messing around in Windows and Linux, and I build my own desktops)
Large amateur rockets (my last one was 86 pounds at liftoff, and went to 7000 feet)
At school for a masters in Aerospace engineering...

(I think I qualify)

LookingSkyward
2011-Sep-12, 11:16 AM
Computer systems engineer (I liked dos 3.11)
Ham radio operator
electronics geek for (lemme count...) 30 some years - spen the week building radio direction finding gear
I have an oscilliscope - automatic bonus geek points

Perikles
2011-Sep-12, 12:24 PM
I have this peculiar interest in excavating and enlarging a small lava tube in my garden (well, I'm living on a volcano). The tube is now a cave about 6ft cube, has absolutely no practical use at all, and is very hard and dusty work drilling very slowly through solid rock. Do I qualify as a geek, or am I just a bog standard idiot?

Moose
2011-Sep-12, 12:33 PM
Geek because:
1) Attachment is the very first thing I thought of.
2) Considers the attachment obligatory.
3) Unrepentant gamer.
4) Unrepentant retro-gamer.
5) I own one of these (http://www.sgcshop.com/products/Saitek-X52-Flight-System-with-Joystick-and-Throttle.html) for X3.
6) Five full bookshelves.
7) Top of three bookshelves are covered with my toys (mostly decorative, but the NERF gun is loaded and can be gotten to quickly.)
8) And far, far too many other reasons to mention.

closetgeek
2011-Sep-12, 01:00 PM
Leisurely reading generally involves books about cosmology or quantum theory.
The most exciting night I've had in a long time was a book club meeting last Thursday, discussing genetics.
My first reaction to astronomical numbers is to convert it to miles and then figure out how long it takes for the average human to walk.
I am a gamer and don't even have a basement.
My DVR list consists of Wonders Of The Solar System/Wonders Of The Universe (Brian Cox is delightfully geeky), Bad Universe, Through The Wormhole, and pretty much any show about black holes and star/galaxy formation.../blush, I take notes.

Swift
2011-Sep-12, 02:17 PM
Chemist, nature geek, moderator on BAUT - I got my geek creds, dog!

Gillianren
2011-Sep-12, 04:06 PM
Actually, I must admit that I don't consider myself as much a geek as a nerd. To me, geeks are science and nerds are liberal arts, and while I spend a lot of time here (she said, having a higher post count than any non-mod), my first loves are music, literature, and history.

The Backroad Astronomer
2011-Sep-12, 04:32 PM
-anything to do with space
-lately doing math problems for fun and proving to my self I can do them

Swift
2011-Sep-12, 04:45 PM
Heck, half of us would qualify for geekhood just by our choices of avatars.

PetersCreek
2011-Sep-12, 05:01 PM
My geek/nerd CV:

Also a Star Trek fan since 1966...Star Fleet Technical Manual, NCC-1701 blueprints, etc.
I was a cellist (and dabbled in other instruments, including the bassoon) from the 7th grade and for several years after graduation from high school.
Past hobbies include electronics, model rocketry, drafting, taxidermy, and calligraphy.
I chose my military specialty, Avionic Sensors, because I would get to work with lasers...and lasers are, you know, cool.
I'm a flight sim enthusiast, complete with yoke, throttle, rudder pedals, a few instruments, real world nav charts, and a device that allows me to look around the virtual scene by tracking my head movement.
I'm a maker of sausage, salami, and other cured and smoked meats, which include the nerdly aspects of chemical and microbiological processes.
If there is a great outdoors category of nerdiness, my fly fishing, fly tying, and ammunition handloading hobbies probably qualify me.

The Backroad Astronomer
2011-Sep-12, 06:21 PM
I use to collect stamps and still have them.

redshifter
2011-Sep-12, 06:27 PM
Hmmm...

Astronomy geek since Jr. high
Owned astro gear since 1997
Willing to take 2 day road trips to get to good observing sites
Star Trek fan since the early-mid 70's
Sci Fi geek since the mid 70's
Other than sports, TV watching consists mostly of science documentaries
History buff

Guess I'm both a geek and a nerd...

Luckmeister
2011-Sep-12, 06:57 PM
Ham radio operator
electronics geek for (lemme count...) 30 some years - spen the week building radio direction finding gear

I've also been a ham radio operator, etc. I get massive extra points because my oscilloscope is a permanent fixture in my living room.

I prefer the term nerd over geek because geeks originally were people who bit the heads off chickens in carnival sideshows. That goes way beyond nerdism!

You used to be a nerd simply by having a computer but that's no longer a given. I recently sold a 1970's IMSAI 8080 computer to a 22-year-old who was salivating over the idea of programming it. I think that qualifies for a new term -- retronerd. :lol:

Trebuchet
2011-Sep-12, 11:45 PM
I failed to mention the name of my first large trebuchet.

SkepticJ
2011-Sep-13, 12:08 AM
Read encyclopedias for fun.
Look up the etymology of words.
Have spent almost a year designing my own SF world.
Perform lots of experiments to see if things work.
Science fiction fan longer than I can remember.

KaiYeves
2011-Sep-13, 01:05 AM
Spent prom night at home watching NASA TV.

Spent my first Saturday in college walking across the river to the MIT campus and trying to find a building named after a deceased astronaut.

emmylou
2011-Sep-13, 01:15 AM
I am the ultimate LHC geekette!
I love Star Wars as well as Star Trek
I love anything to do with astronomy
I love Dr Who I personally think Matt Smith is amazing
I love nothing better than sitting down with a good physics book
Oh and I also collect old coins and I did the whole stamp collecting thing when I was younger

HenrikOlsen
2011-Sep-13, 02:02 AM
When deciding to try out the Couch to 5K program I noticed that it specified intervals of running and walking and instead of actually going out and doing that, I spent a couple of hours mixing a soundtrack with the correct intervals of fast and slow music to control when I'd run and walk.

It's now 14 days since I started and on my third attempt I finally managed to complete day 1: 5 minutes warm up walk, then 8 repeats of 1 minute of running and 1 minute of walking, measured afterwards on Google Earth it was 3.1 km in 25 minutes.
Looks like I started out about 1 level below couch potato.

jlhredshift
2011-Sep-13, 02:47 AM
I must be a nerd because whenever someone asks me some version of "what's new with you", I do not answer honestly so as to avoid the blank stare and instead will reply with "not much, how about you".

I read a lot of old stuff by the original authors doing the initial sorting out of how things work.

tlbs101
2011-Sep-13, 03:07 AM

Only one? Ha! I have two (Tek 2336 and Hitachi VT-220) lol!

I recently sold a 1970's IMSAI 8080 computer to a 22-year-old who was salivating over the idea of programming it. I think that qualifies for a new term -- retronerd. :lol:

I remember building an 8080 computer on a breadboard in 1976 because I couldn't afford an IMSAI.

The engineer who developed the power supply for those first 8080 computers is a good friend and remembers meeting a 15-year old Bill Gates as a snotty kid (and Albuquerque bankers are STILL kicking themselves in the butt for not giving him a chance back in the late 70s).

Luckmeister
2011-Sep-13, 03:38 AM
When deciding to try out the Couch to 5K program I noticed that it specified intervals of running and walking and instead of actually going out and doing that, I spent a couple of hours mixing a soundtrack with the correct intervals of fast and slow music to control when I'd run and walk.

It's now 14 days since I started and on my third attempt I finally managed to complete day 1: 5 minutes warm up walk, then 8 repeats of 1 minute of running and 1 minute of walking, measured afterwards on Google Earth it was 3.1 km in 25 minutes.
Looks like I started out about 1 level below couch potato.

You're not a nerd.... you're a jock. :lol:

HenrikOlsen
2011-Sep-13, 08:11 AM
First, note that I suck at it; second, note that the approach is cerebral rather than gonadal.

Paul Beardsley
2011-Sep-13, 08:38 AM
Catapults!

Wow, your parents named you well!

Geek credentials:

Making "jokes" like the one above. And wondering, for instance, if Mr and Mrs Church would name their son Norman.
Writing a Doctor Who novel that, whilst not exacly Stephen Baxter level hard, at least respected the idea of there being science in science fiction.
Doing Open University courses in Maths and IT for fun. (I claim it's to increase my employment potential but that's just a cover story. Mind you, it worked for my wife.)
Owning a PS2, a PS3, a Wii and a DS, although I don't use them all the time.
Finishing SF and fantasy books even if I'm not enjoying them - or worrying about the fact if I don't finish them.
Avoiding seeing a film until I've read the book on which it's based, and then discussing the wisdom of some of the alterations.
Wanting to see the last episode of Torchwood on Thursday just to "get it out of the road" as my grandmother used to say.
Spending much of my life (about 38 years out of 48) pondering on the nature of time, whether time travel into the past is possible, and what the consequences might be.
Getting excited when my English language students mention studying maths or physics so I can do a brief digression on the subject.

LookingSkyward
2011-Sep-13, 09:15 AM
Ok, Tom, 2 O'scopes out-geeks me :) But, yes, mine is usually on the dining room table - my 13 year old daughter is building stuff with 555 timers from the parts bin

Van Rijn
2011-Sep-13, 09:25 AM
Let's see . . .

Science fiction fan, of course. And I've been crazy about space and astronomy since as far back as I can remember. When I was 6, my treehouse was a spaceship - well, that's what I told people.

My home network storage is approaching 20 terabytes, though a fair amount of that is for backup/redundancy. That's for my all-media library, which is something I dreamed of having decades ago. I usually build my own PCs, except for laptops/tablets and such.

I started using (and programming) computers in 1976.

I've been on line, one way or another, since 1979 (first message board on a minicomputer at my university). The '80s were for local BBSes, Usenet and Fidonet, and a bit of Compuserve.

I've done home embedded computing projects for fun. I used to learn programming languages just for fun, but as I've gotten older, am actually getting to where I just learn what I need, and just use gadgets the way they came from the store.

I think that's all I'll mention this time around.

swampyankee
2011-Sep-15, 03:28 AM
I'm an engineer and computer programmer who has become a physics teacher. Beat that!

Gillianren
2011-Sep-15, 05:29 AM
Jay doesn't post in OTB, but he has been on MythBusters. I think the only thing which actually tops that is being a MythBuster.

swampyankee
2011-Sep-15, 10:09 AM
Jay doesn't post in OTB, but he has been on MythBusters. I think the only thing which actually tops that is being a MythBuster.

I concede defeat :-(

but since we're bringing third parties in ... Richard Stallman!

Fazor
2011-Sep-15, 03:45 PM

Was he *on* MythBusters? I thought he just consulted for them?

ETA: For clarity's sake, "just consulted" is not supposed to read like that's some lowly or trivial thing :)

Gillianren
2011-Sep-15, 03:54 PM
My understanding is that you can see his back if you're looking at the right minute, but even consulting for them probably wins. Unless, I suppose, Phil comes in. Who had his own Discovery Channel show, which probably beats Jay.

Fazor
2011-Sep-15, 04:13 PM
If anything, I'd say being the one the Mythbusters consult makes you even geekier than them, because you know something that they want to know. But yeah, I was just making sure that I didn't miss him in a different episode or something (I'm assuming you're referring to the Apollo ep.)

I like to see people I "know" on tv, so I can point and go "I'VE TALKED TO/AT/IN THE DIRECTION OF THAT PERSON!" (wait, I probably shouldn't admit to that.)

Gillianren
2011-Sep-15, 05:28 PM
No, Apollo. Which is pretty cool, of course.

I grew up in Los Angeles, which means I end up spending a lot of time recognizing places on TV/in the movies. I've met various people, too; I can't watch Numbers without thinking, "I'm taller than Judd Hirsch."

Fazor
2011-Sep-15, 06:26 PM
No, Apollo. Which is pretty cool, of course.

I grew up in Los Angeles, which means I end up spending a lot of time recognizing places on TV/in the movies. I've met various people, too; I can't watch Numbers without thinking, "I'm taller than Judd Hirsch."

I've always liked him. He seems like he'd be a fun guy to hang out with. And he's short. Us short guys have to stick together!

We loved Numbers. Was one of those series that shows where a premise that wasn't *super* original (another crime solving show) or good still was something I loved because the actors and actresses were so wonderful. Like 'Bones' (of course, both are a matter of opinion.)