PDA

View Full Version : Just watching the clouds.

Buttercup
2011-Sep-15, 04:52 PM
Yesterday I knocked off work 1-1/2 hours early. It was a fine, slightly cool afternoon with billowing stormclouds to the north and northwest; mostly white and light gray at that point. A continual soft breeze gently stirred the leaves in our backyard.

I sat for over an hour, observing and enjoying. :) Brought back memories of childhood; though I'm 1200 miles from my hometown, yesterday afternoon had various "Midwestern" qualities.

I especially enjoy the subtle changes in clouds when you've glanced away a few moments, and then look back. Later (after I'd gone back indoors) the clouds darkened, and we had rain.

A carefree and enjoyable time!

nosbig5
2011-Sep-15, 07:33 PM
I spend a lot of time with my kids (3 boys) outside in the backyard playing baseball, football, frisbee, doing yardwork, chasing the dog around. Every now and then we take a break, lay down on our backs, and watch the clouds drift by. Before you know it, these kids-of-no-reply (What happened today at school? "Nuthin") are having a go at actual communication. It's a great way to get them talking about things going on in their lives that just hadn't come up before. A blue sky is great for loosening tongues!

I remember when I was a kid, laying under a tree and staring up at the sky. Don't know why I remember those times so specifically, nothing exciting was happening, but they are vivid memories of doing nothing (a la Tom Sawyer) and very happy memories, too. Wonder if my kids will remember.

Buttercup
2011-Sep-15, 07:52 PM
I spend a lot of time with my kids (3 boys) outside in the backyard playing baseball, football, frisbee, doing yardwork, chasing the dog around. Every now and then we take a break, lay down on our backs, and watch the clouds drift by...Wonder if my kids will remember.

:)

I'm sure they will.

Kids seem to mostly remember the time spent with loving adults.

One of my favorite childhood memories is us (parents and 1 sister) packing a picnic lunch, and walking along railroad tracks in the countryside.