PDA

View Full Version : JS Princeton

iron4
2004-Jun-28, 02:58 AM
Wow, one stays out for a time, and when returns finds great surprises
I've seen that JS Princeton has been banned. Is there any reason for that?

Nowhere Man
2004-Jun-28, 03:25 AM
One too many ad hominems, from the look of it. Look here (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=166592&highlight=#166592) and scroll down for the BA's reason.

BTW this thread belongs in BABBling...

Fred

iron4
2004-Jun-28, 03:37 AM
Many thanks Nowhere man
Although JS Princeton sometimes used abusive manners, I learned a lot of things from him, and it was clear that he loved astronomy. I find very unfortunated his banning. If it serves for something, I plead for his unbanning

Musashi
2004-Jun-28, 07:41 AM
A lot of us wish JS was still around. However, he had several warnings and continued the abuse and, basically, forced the BA's hand. I do not think it would be fair for JS to be unbanned just because we like him more than all of the other people who have been banned.

Jobe
2004-Jun-28, 08:08 AM
JSPrinceton was uber cool/smart and I really enjoyed his debunkings, even if they were a bit arrogant at times. Not everyone has the patience of someone like SeanF who can write thousands of posts debunking a crank's illogical, circular and contradictory arguments. Sooner or later most people have to snap and just call the person a freakin' idiot.

ToSeek
2004-Jun-28, 01:54 PM
JSPrinceton was obviously a brilliant guy, and I miss him for that, but he was getting unnecessarily abrasive. If nothing else, it shows that the BA does not play favorites when it comes to bannings.

gethen
2004-Jun-28, 02:48 PM
I also enjoyed reading JSPrinceton's posts, but he did not confine his abusive language to the woo-woos, so I'm not sure that saying he just got frustrated with boneheads explains it. People who just honestly disagreed with him were also apt to be called liars or whatever and I think that's what finally got him banned. It's a shame because he really added so much to the discussion.

Jobe
2004-Jun-29, 03:30 AM
I also enjoyed reading JSPrinceton's posts, but he did not confine his abusive language to the woo-woos, so I'm not sure that saying he just got frustrated with boneheads explains it. People who just honestly disagreed with him were also apt to be called liars or whatever and I think that's what finally got him banned. It's a shame because he really added so much to the discussion.

He did not, you damn liar!

(j/k) : :P

SeanF
2004-Jun-29, 01:42 PM
JSPrinceton was uber cool/smart and I really enjoyed his debunkings, even if they were a bit arrogant at times. Not everyone has the patience of someone like SeanF who can write thousands of posts debunking a crank's illogical, circular and contradictory arguments. Sooner or later most people have to snap and just call the person a freakin' idiot.(Emphasis mine - SeanF)

Believe me, I do. I just do it someplace else. 8)

RickNZ
2004-Jun-30, 06:47 AM
I wished he hadnt of been banned, I for one learnt more off him than any one other person here.
Sigh.
I think the BA was overly harsh and should have been more accepting of his nature.

ToSeek
2004-Jun-30, 01:17 PM
I wished he hadnt of been banned, I for one learnt more off him than any one other person here.
Sigh.
I think the BA was overly harsh and should have been more accepting of his nature.

Standards apply to everyone. It's not that hard to take a moment to read over your post and clean up anything that was entered in the heat of the moment. While I would love to have JS here taking on the current crop of anti-Big Bangers, if he wasn't willing to make the effort to follow the rules of this board then he doesn't belong here.

dgruss23
2004-Jun-30, 02:13 PM
Sigh.

Standards apply to everyone. It's not that hard to take a moment to read over your post and clean up anything that was entered in the heat of the moment. While I would love to have JS here taking on the current crop of anti-Big Bangers, if he wasn't willing to make the effort to follow the rules of this board then he doesn't belong here.

I think if one looks at this page (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=64379&sid=6547c482f92a41f81845da4a af032d1d#64379) of JS's "Against the Mainstream Netiquette" thread you can get a pretty good look into 1. JS's mindset towrd those he disagrees with, 2. the type of things JS would say that were rude, and 3. That he was warned by the BA. Its all pretty clear as that page progresses.

He disappeared from BABB and then came back slinging insults after a 6 month hiatus. I was called a liar among other accusations and insults within 24 hours of his return. He was warned on several occasions and finally made one too many ad hominems when he insulted the intelligence of John Kierein.

There are reasonable, respectful people on this board capable of discussing ATM issues with those of us that have genuine scientific disagreements: Gerbil94, SpacemanSpiff, Ricimer, Grey, and Tim Thompson come to mind - and the BA of course! They are all knowledgeable and they all carry on the discussions in a mature, respectful way. Those of you that are missing JS should really be encouraging the above individuals to pipe in more often.