PDA

View Full Version : Opinion - Water

paulie jay
2004-Jun-28, 04:53 AM
Is water flavourless?

It may seem like a silly question (and in fact, it is a silly question) but I do from time to time hear people say that water has no taste. I think it tases like... water, which is different from an absence of taste.

What say you all?

Master258
2004-Jun-28, 04:58 AM
Water, have a taste? Not a chance! True pure water with nothing in it is tasteless. When people say it has a taste it's always something in the water.

Gullible Jones
2004-Jun-28, 05:07 AM
Pure hydrogen hydroxide (a bit more accurate a name than DHMO, IMO) is purely tasteless, at least from what I have heard. (I don't think I've ever tasted distilled water.) Tap water, however, contains dissolved ions (and sometimes other stuff) that impart some taste. This taste can range from slightly sweet (several types of dissolved metal ions can cause this, IIRC, including but not limited to lead) to acrid (New Jersey water - judging from the taste, I would say that it contains dissolved organic compounds that have been chemically modified by chlorination).

Candy
2004-Jun-28, 05:56 AM
If it tastes like nothing. And nothing is something. Then wouldn't it taste like something using the process of elimination. :-k

2004-Jun-28, 06:23 AM
I don't think I've ever tasted pure water. But, when our water goes brown, as it always does after summer rain - it definitely has a taste of peat! :D :D :D

Monoxide Child
2004-Jun-28, 06:26 AM
Lol, water DOES have a taste.. Lol, call me weird.. but I can TASTE COLD.. yes.. I can taste the cold. so if water is cold, I can taste it (EVERYTHING has a taste).

Bounced Check
2004-Jun-28, 11:40 AM
My water tends to pick up the taste of the scoth that the ice is comfortably wrapped in. Other than that I never touch the stuff outside of a hit shower or a cold rain fall. :lol:

Bawheid
2004-Jun-28, 12:01 PM
Never drink it, I know what fish do in it.

ToSeek
2004-Jun-28, 01:49 PM
Water as I drink it out of a tap certainly has taste, and I can taste differences depending on where it came from. I don't think pure water has a taste.

Normandy6644
2004-Jun-28, 02:00 PM
It tastes like water!! :wink: Though I do notice that some waters taste "better" than others. Not sure why.

kucharek
2004-Jun-28, 02:14 PM
What should I vote for? Water has no taste, but it's the only thing so and so I would find out that I drink water just because of that non-taste taste. ;-)

And a quote that supports my position: ;-)

That first sip had been enough to identify the liquid. It tasted terrible because it had no taste at all; the faucet was supplying pure, destilled water.

mutant
2004-Jun-28, 02:20 PM
The water from the water taps here has no taste, at least to me. However, someone gave me a bottle of that yuppy water people pay over a buck for and it tasted terrible. I don't know what they put in that stuff but it was awful.

Gullible Jones
2004-Jun-28, 02:55 PM
You sure it wasn't mineral water? That stuff, despite supposed health benefits (which I, BTW, am rather skeptical about), can have a rather nasty taste.

sidmel
2004-Jun-28, 03:15 PM
Actually, the molecules that make up water (and other substances) really don't have any taste or smell. It's simply an interpretation of our brains to certain molecular chains (shapes) that has developed to let us know what's good for us or not. :lol:

So I vote no taste!

Essan
2004-Jun-28, 03:32 PM
Good water has a sweet, peaty taste to it and looks slightly brown when you put it in a clear glass :D If there's a dead deer in the burn a few hundred yards upstream all the better! :o :wink:

What you get out of the taps and bottles varies from tasteless to yuck depending on what chemicals are in it.

StarStuff
2004-Jun-28, 03:38 PM
Something I've noticed about water is that most of us have gotten so used to whatever kind of water we usually drink, be it straight from the tap, bottled, or filtered, that to us it seems to have no taste. But if we try a different type, let's say tap water in a different place, we notice a really obvious 'taste' to it, while to the locals there *that* water seems to have no taste. Seems we get so used to whatever's in the water we drink that our tastebuds neutralize the taste of it, except of course when something drastic changes in the chemical content of the water, as I've seen happen the occasional time in the summer (and then the bottled-water companies do brisk business :wink: ).

Lurker
2004-Jun-28, 03:52 PM
Yeah... and I'm willing to bet that you people who think that water tastes like water crack your eggs at the big end!!! Disgusting!!! [-(

8)

paulie jay
2004-Jun-29, 04:58 AM
No, I'm too busy standing them on their ends :lol:

So, has anyone actually tasted distilled water? I haven't of course, so I stand by my "water tastes like water" comment...

Maksutov
2004-Jun-29, 05:10 AM
It all depends on what temperature the water is. Water at 212 F tastes different from water at 32 F, which also tastes different from water at -40. 8)

genebujold
2004-Jun-29, 06:32 AM
There's only four tastebuds: Sweet, sour, salty, and bitter. Everything else is what our olfactory sensors provide.

But the question was about taste, not smell.

Regardless, pure water contains absolutely nothing that interacts with any of these taste buds, ergo, it is tasteless.

Now if you expand the definition to include smell, you might be able to make a case, as experiments prove people can tell the difference between higher humidity and lower humidity just by taking a whiff of air.

Then again, that may be sensors in your nose other than your olfactory sensors.

TrAI
2004-Jun-29, 08:24 AM
There's only four tastebuds: Sweet, sour, salty, and bitter.

and savory... It is dependant on the glutamate content of the food, it enhances the way we perceive the food, and it is a receptor like the other taste buds, so it should probably be mentioned with them..

Of course, people are often unwilling to update these kinds of lists, take the list of senses, most people will say hearing, sight, smell, touch, and taste are the senses. But we know that heat sensitivity, balance, and pain is detected by separate receptors. Then you have the knowing of how your limbs are placed in relation to your body, it is separate from the other senses, it doesn't give feedback about the environment, of course, but it may still be a sense...

Excelsior
2004-Jun-29, 09:21 AM
Depends on the impurities.

ToSeek
2004-Jun-29, 12:58 PM
It all depends on what temperature the water is. Water at 212 F tastes different from water at 32 F, which also tastes different from water at -40. 8)

Tasting water at those extremes sounds a little risky to me. ;)

mike alexander
2004-Jun-29, 09:45 PM
Distilled water tastes flat and almost metallic to me.

Maksutov
2004-Jun-29, 10:38 PM

Tasting water at those extremes sounds a little risky to me. ;)

No pain, no gain.

No risk, no reward.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Nothing watered, nothing dried.

No religion, know peace.

Say no to rugs.

8)

Lurker
2004-Jun-29, 10:48 PM
Say no to rugs.
We need to do more than just tell people to stay away from rugs.. some of these people neet help!! [-(