PDA

View Full Version : Spitzer captures our galaxy's "twin"

ToSeek
2004-Jun-29, 01:09 AM
Just go look. (http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA06322)

dgruss23
2004-Jun-29, 01:19 AM
Wow - nice image.

I'm surprised that they would call this galaxy the MW's twin since NGC 7331 is not a barred spiral. NGC 3992 (http://www.supernovae.net/snimages/reference/n3992.jpg) is probably a closer fit.

Master258
2004-Jun-29, 04:15 AM
Wow - nice image.

I'm surprised that they would call this galaxy the MW's twin since NGC 7331 is not a barred spiral. NGC 3992 (http://www.supernovae.net/snimages/reference/n3992.jpg) is probably a closer fit.
Yup, That looks right

Excelsior
2004-Jun-29, 06:49 AM
I thought Andromeda was our Galaxy's twin.

ToSeek
2004-Jun-29, 01:09 PM
I thought Andromeda was our Galaxy's twin.

Andromeda is similar but a lot larger.

George
2004-Jun-29, 01:47 PM
Nice shot!

Uh oh...

One feature that stands out in the Spitzer image is the ring of actively forming stars that surrounds the galaxy center (yellow). This ring, with a radius of nearly 20,000 light-years, is invisible at shorter wavelengths, yet has been detected at sub-millimeter and radio wavelengths. It is made up in large part of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Spitzer measurements suggest that the ring contains enough gas to produce four billion stars like the Sun. Does EPA know of the PAH's? I suppose 50 million lyrs. ok? :wink:

Swift
2004-Jun-29, 03:50 PM
Nice shot!

Uh oh...

One feature that stands out in the Spitzer image is the ring of actively forming stars that surrounds the galaxy center (yellow). This ring, with a radius of nearly 20,000 light-years, is invisible at shorter wavelengths, yet has been detected at sub-millimeter and radio wavelengths. It is made up in large part of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Spitzer measurements suggest that the ring contains enough gas to produce four billion stars like the Sun. Does EPA know of the PAH's? I suppose 50 million lyrs. ok? :wink:
Well, you know what they say, anything that doesn't kill you will seed planets with chemicals that lead to life forms that will. Or something like that. :wink:

George
2004-Jun-29, 05:09 PM
Nice shot!

Uh oh...

Well, you know what they say, anything that doesn't kill you will seed planets with chemicals that lead to life forms that will. Or something like that. :wink:
Well, the PAH ring may be working it's way to the black hole for disposal. Hmmm....why is it a "black" hole? :)

George
2004-Jun-29, 05:11 PM
No reason for this post. Just noticed it would tie you, Swift, and most Ohioans are very competitive with Texans. (My wife's from Marietta) :)

TravisM
2004-Jun-29, 05:25 PM
I'm from Ohio and I don't hold much against Texans... ;)

George
2004-Jun-29, 07:21 PM
[ :roll: Uh oh. There is something special in Ohioans that comes up whenever this subject breaches. :) ]

Back on topic, sorta (I hope :wink: )...Aren't PAH's ring-chained hydrocarbons? I suspect they don't get quite that big, though. :wink:

George
2004-Jun-29, 07:22 PM
It is kinda silly to think Texans and Ohians (Ohioans?) are so competitive for any reason.

[Btw. I have one more post more than Swift.]

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2004-Jun-29, 11:24 PM
It is kinda silly to think Texans and Ohians (Ohioans?) are so competitive for any reason.

[Btw. I have one more post more than Swift.]

Hmmm ...

Not any more ya' don't ....

TravisM
2004-Jun-29, 11:42 PM
Why do Texans always change the subject? I can't win an arguemnt I haven't started yet! :P
[You could come back, why do Ohioans (correct) always hi-jack the threads!? :))]