PDA

View Full Version : ...

Majin Vegeta
2004-Jun-29, 01:49 AM
i do not belive in X but Nemesis? I do!
The purpose... To see who believes in what!

N C More
2004-Jun-29, 02:14 AM
Well, you see it doesn't matter what you believe... rather what you can prove. It is in this respect that a science based site differs from that of an entertainment based site.

Musashi
2004-Jun-29, 02:15 AM
Is there any evidence of Nemesis?

BAroxMysox
2004-Jun-29, 02:21 AM
I would guess there is just as much as there is for PX :roll:

Tranquility
2004-Jun-29, 02:30 AM
What exactly IS the difference between PX and Nemesis?

Lycus
2004-Jun-29, 02:39 AM

PX is a nonexistent planet, while Nemesis is a nonexistent star.

ToSeek
2004-Jun-29, 02:44 AM

I think there is (or has been) some mainstream support for Nemesis as some sort of star associated with the Sun that periodically dislodges comets from the Oort Cloud and sends them hurtling into the inner solar system to kill dinosaurs and such.

The only mainstream support for PX is the concept that, yes, there could be other planets out beyond Pluto (though not ones that visit the inner solar system).

Master258
2004-Jun-29, 03:58 AM
I don't think there has been any mainstream for Nemesis. I've never heard of it untill I can here.

BAroxMysox
2004-Jun-29, 04:24 AM
I've heard of it before. Just bits and pieces and in basically the way ToSeek described it. Although it wasn't really associated with much doom or woowoo talk when I heard about it.

Excelsior
2004-Jun-29, 06:25 AM
If Nemesis existed astromers would have found it. A star so close to the sun is easy to detect.

WolfKC
2004-Jun-29, 01:19 PM
PX is a nonexistent planet, while Nemesis is a nonexistent star. :lol:

ToSeek
2004-Jun-29, 02:02 PM
I don't think there has been any mainstream for Nemesis. I've never heard of it untill I can here.

Here's (http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solarsystem/nemesis_010320-1.html) a writeup from space.com.

Musashi
2004-Jun-29, 03:35 PM
Vegeta, have anything to add?

Astrobairn
2004-Jun-29, 04:48 PM
Any M dwarf that near would be damn bright in the IR so you wonder how IR surveys wouldn't get it. However it wouldn't have a huge proper motion so would be tricky to pick out astrometrically.

Majin Vegeta
2004-Jun-30, 01:29 AM
yes, and actually X and Nemesis are stars!!!

BAroxMysox
2004-Jun-30, 01:30 AM
yes, and actually X and Nemesis are stars!!!

As well as non-existant.

Ut
2004-Jun-30, 02:15 AM
I think Planet X, by definition, is a planet...

Musashi
2004-Jun-30, 03:04 AM
So, Vegeta, why is it that you believe in Nemesis? What have you read/heard/seen that makes you believe in it?

Brady Yoon
2004-Jun-30, 03:14 AM
Hey I have an idea! Why not stop trolling and provide evidence for your claims?

Pinemarten
2004-Jun-30, 03:49 AM

What difference does it make to you 'who believes in what', If we are all doomed?

Extravoice
2004-Jun-30, 12:21 PM
I could use some help organizing my list of imaginary celestial objects.
Please correct me if the following list is wrong, I'd like to keep all this straight.

Planet X is a planet with a wildly eliptical orbit that enters the inner solar system every (large number) of years, disturbing things.

Nemisis is a dark twin of our beloved Sun. It periodically shakes objects loose from the Oort cloud, sending them our way.

Vulcan is a planet closer to the sun than Mercury. Or, is Vulcan the mirror-image Earth that is exactly on the other side of the sun from us?

Any others that I have missed?

Astrobairn
2004-Jun-30, 12:32 PM

It shouldn't be about belief but about proof. Show me a spectrum, show me a trigonometric parallax measurement. Then I'll accept it exists.

ToSeek
2004-Jun-30, 01:31 PM
Vulcan is a planet closer to the sun than Mercury. Or, is Vulcan the mirror-image Earth that is exactly on the other side of the sun from us?

According to Nancy, it's the "Dark Twin" that's exactly on the other side of the Sun from us. However, since the Earth stopped in its orbit last December, the "Dark Twin" is no longer behind the Sun and is visible to all but recalcitrant debunkers.

WolfKC
2004-Jun-30, 02:20 PM
I love it. :lol:

TriangleMan
2004-Jun-30, 02:41 PM

Nibiru: also an imaginary Planet beyond the solar system that comes close to the Sun every 3600 years. It was proposed by Sitchin. Not to be confused with PX which is by Nancy L (who basically ripped-off Sitchin and added her own delusions). They are distinctly different non-existent planets.

TriangleMan
2004-Jun-30, 02:42 PM
Traditionally, Vulcan is a non-existent planet that was supposed to be closer to the Sun than Mercury.

Astrobairn
2004-Jun-30, 04:37 PM

Nibiru: also an imaginary Planet beyond the solar system that comes close to the Sun every 3600 years. It was proposed by Sitchin. Not to be confused with PX which is by Nancy L (who basically ripped-off Sitchin and added her own delusions). They are distinctly different non-existent planets.

So where does Hoth come into this? :lol:

Doodler
2004-Jun-30, 05:18 PM

So where does Hoth come into this? :lol:

In the second movie :P

Swift
2004-Jun-30, 06:26 PM
Traditionally, Vulcan is a non-existent planet that was supposed to be closer to the Sun than Mercury.
I have a 19th century high-school astronomy textbook that seriously talks about Vulcan. It was recognized that Mercury's orbit could not be explained by Newtonian physics. One hypothesis was that there was a planet inside the orbit of Mercury that caused this. There were some claims of Vulcan being observed. The orbit of Mercury is now explained by General Relativity.

LINK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcan_%28planet%29)

TriangleMan
2004-Jun-30, 08:44 PM
I think some astronomers also used the Titus-Bode law to reason that Vulcan would exist and be half-way between the Sun and Mercury's orbit.

Master258
2004-Jun-30, 10:00 PM

Here's (http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/solarsystem/nemesis_010320-1.html) a writeup from space.com.
Thanks

Sever
2004-Jul-01, 04:12 AM
So Vegeta, can you provide evidence?