grapes
2011-Sep-29, 08:30 AM
Weird, now I don't have a "Settings" link at the top

WaxRubiks
2011-Sep-29, 09:51 AM
no, there is no 'settings'

Jeff Root
2011-Sep-29, 10:06 AM
And so far I haven't found an equivalent to 'settings'.

Why is this thing telling me "Auto Saved"? What did it save?
If I wanted what it saved, how would I retrieve it? And the
biggest question: Where did it save it? My computer's RAM?
The Temporary Internet Files folder? I just saw my modem
lights flicker. Don't tell me it is sending what I type before I
hit the Post button. Please tell me it isn't sending what I type
before I hit the send button.

I think it is sending what I type before I hit the send button.

If so, TURN OFF THAT FEATURE NOW, or revert to the previous
version NOW.

This window is scrolling by itself, too. Whenever I move the
mouse. Make that the second thing you turn off.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Strange
2011-Sep-29, 10:27 AM
You can get to Settings from the Forum Actions drop-down menu on the main forum index page or your profile page.

Auto-save sounds like a really good idea (after the number of long posts I have lost in the past). I'm not sure where it is storing the info or how you would recover it. But in principle...

WaxRubiks
2011-Sep-29, 11:02 AM
I suppose it's usual for upgrades to mean things get worse.....bit like "new recipe" on food packages.

Extravoice
2011-Sep-29, 12:38 PM
I miss the "settings" menu item, too. I used it frequently to check which threads I'm subscribed to that have new posts. I found a substitute under "Quick Links - Subscribed threads", which seems to list unread threads first.

Every time we have an "upgrade" it gets harder and harder to find subscribed threads that have new posts. At one point in time, it could be done in one click :(

baskerbosse
2011-Sep-29, 12:47 PM
Got a couple of 'server unavailable or too busy' in the last 5 minutes..

Probably nothing, I just thought I'd mention it..

Peter

grapes
2011-Sep-29, 12:48 PM
You can get to Settings from the Forum Actions drop-down menu on the main forum index page or your profile page. That's a different "Settings" :)

The Settings that used to reside on the top line would bring up all unread subscribed threads, in addition to other settings links. That subscription service is the single forum feature that I used most. As Extravoice pointed out, it's available under the Quick Links pull-down, except it seems to include read threads as well, for me.

Extravoice
2011-Sep-29, 01:14 PM
...the Quick Links pull-down [...] seems to include read threads as well, for me.

As best I can tell, unread threads are listed at the top, and are in boldface. I wouldn't bet the farm on that, though.

ABR.
2011-Sep-29, 02:42 PM
The User Control Panel (User CP which changed to Settings in the last upgrade) is still available, at least. I searched through the FAQs and found several places where you can at least click on User CP to access the feature. See here (http://www.bautforum.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_user_profile#faq_vb3_user_cp), for instance, then scroll down to User Control Panel. I suspect we just lost the button in this upgrade. Hopefully, there will be a way to get it back.

Torsten
2011-Sep-29, 03:22 PM
I just discovered that where the word "Settings" was located (between "My Profile" and "Log Out") is now a small gap. Place the cursor in that gap and a little clickable box appears. That is what has become of "Settings".

ETA: It is located high in that gap, slightly above the line of text on either side of it.

Jeff Root
2011-Sep-29, 03:50 PM
I don't remember whether the user name at the top was a
link, previously. It is now, and it goes to the same place
as "My profile".

Like grapes, the "Settings" link is the one thing I use every
time I come here.

Again, *if* the "Auto Save" is transmitting what I type before
I hit the "Post" button, lose it IMMEDIATELY.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Torsten
2011-Sep-29, 03:59 PM
The message that may not be clear from my earlier post is that the link and its functionality remains, but the text label has disappeared.

Jeff: Yes, clicking on your user name still does what it used to do. I think that all that has changed is that the text was "erased" from the Settings link.

Jeff Root
2011-Sep-29, 04:16 PM
Torsten,

I should have replied to your comments the first time, but
got distracted by the "Auto Save" and or some other thing
that seems to be going on.

I tried to find the link, but couldn't. The mouse pointer
didn't change to a hand anywhere but on the visible links.

I don't know how long it has been there, but I just noticed a
line right below this input box that says "Restore Auto-Saved
Content". So that answers one of my questions.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Torsten
2011-Sep-29, 04:25 PM
Oh. (Pinch myself to make sure this isn't a dream...) I'm using IE on this machine. Maybe that makes a difference?

ABR.
2011-Sep-29, 04:33 PM
Torsten, I'm using IE, too. For me, the box is tiny but located just as you described it.

WaxRubiks
2011-Sep-29, 04:35 PM
it's there in firefox too.

NEOWatcher
2011-Sep-29, 04:40 PM
Torsten, I'm using IE, too. For me, the box is tiny but located just as you described it.
IE here too, but I can see a tiny box when I highlight the area, but can't find a way to click or hover or anything like that.
It is there according to the html source. (with no text)

Jeff Root
2011-Sep-29, 04:45 PM
I can't find the link in IE. I'll have to reboot to a different
operating system that has Firefox and try that.

Ah! What NEOWatcher just said. I can see it now, but it
is completely inert, still a total mystery.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Swift
2011-Sep-29, 05:40 PM
I've noticed one strange quirk. When I post a post, my avatar picture for that post doesn't show - all I see is a little red X. If I refresh, or exit the thread and come back, it appears as normal. It doesn't really matter, but it is odd.

By the way, the quick reply boxes are now sizable - look in the lower right corner of one and there is a hashed triangle you can drag to resize. It seems to remember that new size, at least for that session.

Jeff Root
2011-Sep-29, 06:21 PM
I'm able to find and use the invisible link for "Settings" in Firefox.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Fazor
2011-Sep-29, 06:41 PM
I've noticed one strange quirk. When I post a post, my avatar picture for that post doesn't show - all I see is a little red X. If I refresh, or exit the thread and come back, it appears as normal. It doesn't really matter, but it is odd.

Mine just had text that said "Fazor's Avatar". I imagine it's a cache thing that'll probably clear up after some use.

Swift
2011-Sep-29, 06:56 PM
We got some new smilies and some are actually improved, though the wink ;) and the roll eyes :rolleyes: are still weak

:cool: :boohoo: :D

:confused: That is suppossed to be "confused" but it looks more like a dog to me

Extravoice
2011-Sep-29, 07:05 PM
The invisible link works in IE8, but not IE7...at least for me.

Strange
2011-Sep-29, 07:07 PM
By the way, the quick reply boxes are now sizable - look in the lower right corner of one and there is a hashed triangle you can drag to resize. It seems to remember that new size, at least for that session.

Hasn't it always done that?

ABR.
2011-Sep-29, 07:22 PM
Hey! The dividing line between your comment and signature seems to be working again. That is a new development, isn't it?

selden
2011-Sep-29, 09:15 PM
I can't find where to change my avatar or signature. When I click on "My Profile" and then the tab "Customize My Profile", all I get is an iconized menu for changing fonts and buttons, with categories titled "General", "Buttons", "Modules"[fixed typo: was Menu], etc. They seem to correspond to features of what other sites might call a "skin", but I don't see anything that has anything to do with my own profile.

Van Rijn
2011-Sep-29, 09:29 PM
When I go to "Edit Profile" from the "Edit Profile" option under "Forum Actions" on the main page, there is an "Edit Avatar" option on the left side of the screen under "My Settings." There's also an "Edit signature" option there. Are you getting something different?

geonuc
2011-Sep-29, 09:58 PM
We got some new smilies and some are actually improved, though the wink ;) and the roll eyes :rolleyes: are still weak

:cool: :boohoo: :D

:confused: That is suppossed to be "confused" but it looks more like a dog to me

:eeek:

That's an 'eek'?

This is an eek:

http://bestsmileys.com/scared/8.gif

selden
2011-Sep-29, 11:23 PM
When I go to "Edit Profile" from the "Edit Profile" option under "Forum Actions" on the main page, there is an "Edit Avatar" option on the left side of the screen under "My Settings." There's also an "Edit signature" option there. Are you getting something different? Thanks! I never thought to look there. *sigh* (I've changed my sig, which is what I was most interested in.) Still, I find the purpose of the strange options available under "Customize Profile" not at all obvious.

Paul Beardsley
2011-Sep-30, 09:31 PM
Thank goodness I stumbled upon this thread.

Now I know I'm not the only one who has completely lost control.

Never in my life have I seen a better illustration of the maxim, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I can no longer check out who has replied to threads I subscribe to. I can no longer change my avatar or signature (which I believe should be changed frequently.)

In my anguish I wait for the return of the BAUT I once knew.

Solfe
2011-Sep-30, 09:34 PM
Click on Quick Links and then Subscriptions. I think that is a little different, but provides approximately the same function.

Van Rijn
2011-Sep-30, 09:46 PM
I'm not sure if it's just the browser or computer I'm currently using, but I'm finding the scroll on the "advanced" edit window to be very annoying. Essentially, if I have a post long enough that it doesn't all appear in the text window, the scroll might roll away from the area of the text I'm entering when I move the mouse. Even if I use the mouse to adjust the scroll position to show the end of the post, the mouse motion will cause it to immediately move away again. Using the scroll wheel seems to work if I avoid moving the mouse at all.

Is anyone else having this issue?

Van Rijn
2011-Sep-30, 10:09 PM
A work around of sorts: It appears to be possible to stretch the length of the entry window, so all the text remains visible.

jfribrg
2011-Oct-01, 01:10 AM
I don't know if this is the place to report an issue, but when I pull up my list of recent posts, I don't see any of the posts that I made today.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Oct-01, 08:57 AM
I hate, Hate, HATE the way the new editor handles line wrapping, I've had to stop and recheck several times if I got a space between words because it wraps at characters instead of words, checking spelling of a cut apart word is also harder because of this.

This upgrade is really a case of violating "if it ain't broke, don't break it".

And the quick editor's in-place insertion of a new post is broken with regards to avatars, the post is created with a broken link to the image.

slang
2011-Oct-01, 09:48 AM
This upgrade is really a case of violating "if it ain't broke, don't break it".

Well, we (at least, I) don't know if it wasn't broken. Fraser knows that updating the forum can create hassles, I doubt he did it just for the fun of it.

grapes
2011-Oct-01, 01:15 PM
Well, we (at least, I) don't know if it wasn't broken. Fraser knows that updating the forum can create hassles, I doubt he did it just for the fun of it.I don't think Henrik is indicting Fraser, it's those crazy engineers with a "better" way. :)

Solfe
2011-Oct-03, 06:35 PM
"Were I an engineer, I would have designed this differently." Grant Imahara while attempting to assemble a mind control device purchased off of the internet.

Extravoice
2011-Oct-03, 07:09 PM
Wait a minute. Grant is an engineer:

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_Imahara)

Imahara is a graduate of the University of Southern California, with a B.S. degree in electrical engineering.

Solfe
2011-Oct-04, 08:11 PM
I am missing my profile page with active threads I posted in.

Swift
2011-Oct-06, 12:51 AM
The "what is an engineer" posts have been split off to here (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php/122050-What-is-an-Engineer).

HenrikOlsen
2011-Oct-07, 10:41 AM
Looks like the update has resulted in something strange for the italic tag.
Testing without italic.
Testing with italic. The previous sentence is "Testing with italic.", the "with" shows up as a hole for me, not even something to highlight with the cursor.

In case it's unique for me, this is what I see:

Browser is Chrome.

Hmm, after closing the tab and opening the page again, it works.

OK, disregard report it's obviously a Chrome bug.

ABR.
2011-Oct-08, 03:27 AM
Are the user profiles and settings down for everyone, or is it just me? When I've attempted to access these today, I just get an error message.

Swift
2011-Oct-08, 03:30 AM
Are the user profiles and settings down for everyone, or is it just me? When I've attempted to access these today, I just get an error message.
Nope, not just you. Just tried to check my own and several others and all give errors.

ABR.
2011-Oct-08, 03:47 AM
Nope, not just you. Just tried to check my own and several others and all give errors.

Cool, thanks. Now if I could just get similar verification regarding those pesky voices I keep hearing....

Moose
2011-Oct-08, 12:20 PM
Hmm. I can get to mine, no problem. Is it still happening for you, ABR? Swift?

Jeff Root
2011-Oct-08, 12:30 PM
Last night I got only the error message. Now it is working.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

grapes
2011-Oct-08, 01:21 PM
Nope, not just you. Just tried to check my own and several others and all give errors.I got persistent errors last night, seems to be gone this morning. It said there was a database problem, and it had been reported to bautforum.

Didn't bother to get a screen shot.

Swift
2011-Oct-08, 02:37 PM
Hmm. I can get to mine, no problem. Is it still happening for you, ABR? Swift?
As others said, seems to be all better. One of those "24 hour" database bugs.

ABR.
2011-Oct-08, 04:57 PM
All appears to be back to normal for me, too.

Moose
2011-Oct-08, 05:13 PM
It'll be interesting to see if it happens again tonight at roughly the same time. Should indicate if it's some new maintenance script causing problems or if it was just a freak thing that got fixed when the cloud shifted us to another server. My money's on freak thing.

slang
2011-Oct-08, 08:09 PM
All appears to be back to normal for me, too.

Voices too? :)

ABR.
2011-Oct-08, 08:31 PM
Voices too? :)

They aren't saying.

Van Rijn
2011-Nov-02, 09:15 PM
Another user interface issue with the upgrade: It used to be that, if you clicked on someone's username in a thread, you would get an option to find threads they had started. That option is gone, so I googled it. I found others complaining about it at the vBulletin board. It is still possible to do a "started thread" search, but it's hidden, and instead of two steps, there are seven:

(1) Select and copy the text of the username (you can skip this step if it's easy to remember)
(2) Click on the "Advanced Search" option.
(3) Click on the "Search Single Content Type" tab.
(4) Click on the dropdown that shows "Find Latest Posts by User." It has a hidden option to "Find Threads started by user."
(5) Click on "Exact Name"
(6) Paste or type the user name in the "User Name" field."
(7) Click on "Search Now"

Strange
2011-Nov-02, 09:58 PM
It is still possible to do a "started thread" search, but it's hidden, and instead of two steps, there are seven:

What is wrong with:
1) Click username and select View Profile
2) Click on "Find latest started threads"

Or have I not understood what you are trying to do?

Van Rijn
2011-Nov-02, 10:28 PM
What is wrong with:
1) Click username and select View Profile
2) Click on "Find latest started threads"

Or have I not understood what you are trying to do?

Thanks, that works.

What's wrong with it: They changed the UI, and when I googled to find how to do it now, all I found were references to the "advanced search" method. It had apparently been removed completely when version 4 was released, then added back in.

CJSF
2011-Nov-02, 11:07 PM
"Find latest started Threads" is not the same as "Find all posts by". That the difference I thought I noticed.

CJSF

Strange
2011-Nov-03, 12:49 AM
Thanks, that works.

What's wrong with it: They changed the UI, and when I googled to find how to do it now, all I found were references to the "advanced search" method. It had apparently been removed completely when version 4 was released, then added back in.

That's the trouble with free software: it is worth what you pay for it...

I hadn't noticed that the option had disappeared from the username menu - because I had never noticed it there in the first place. Odd how different people use different features, or different ways of using the same features. This is what make testing such a pain. Especially when there is no spec... (I'm assuming there is no spec because it is free software . Is that unreasonable?)

Grashtel
2011-Nov-03, 01:06 AM
That's the trouble with free software: it is worth what you pay for it...

I hadn't noticed that the option had disappeared from the username menu - because I had never noticed it there in the first place. Odd how different people use different features, or different ways of using the same features. This is what make testing such a pain. Especially when there is no spec... (I'm assuming there is no spec because it is free software . Is that unreasonable?)
I think you are confusing vBulletin with other forum software, from a quick look at their site ( https://www.vbulletin.com/ linked at the bottom of every page) its quite obviously not free (the three digit prices for all the versions tend to be a bit of a give away).

Strange
2011-Nov-03, 10:19 AM
I think you are confusing vBulletin with other forum software, from a quick look at their site ( https://www.vbulletin.com/ linked at the bottom of every page) its quite obviously not free (the three digit prices for all the versions tend to be a bit of a give away).

Thanks for pointing that out (I'm quite sure it won't be the last time I say something without knowing what I am talking about :)).