PDA

View Full Version : More Sundew Stuff.

BigDon
2011-Sep-29, 12:04 PM
So in my request for lighting advice thread I mentioned the first utility bill came in. Power bill went from $233 to $414

For $14 worth of plants.

I feel like the old fifties cartoon where the character briefly turns into a donkey wearing a dunce cap.

Their little excursion outside has taken on a more permanent aspect.

Still and all they are fascinating.

ABR. Now that the guys have been outside a while it seems the cape sundews are very well suited to the bay area life style. The cape sundews look like clump grasses with tufted seed heads. Seems the local small orb weavers are totally niave of sundews...until its too late. Some of them even get most of their webs built.

And only a bug nerd would get a chill from looking at three or four half completed orb webs built among the sundew's fronds. With a little knot of tendrils clustered around the builder's final repose. All classic night builds interupted with the spokes 30 and 60 percent finished. (A lot of folks don't know that almost all orb weavers start building or rebuilding their webs between midnight and one AM local, standard time.)

And with indian summer came swarms of winged black aphids. So numerous and nasty they were wilting full grown sunflowers in a matter of two or three days.

It was a glut of nutrients for the cape sundews. I was worried the aphids would attack the sundews below the capture tendrils but it seems the stems are too leathery when you have all that delicsious juice just up the stalk a ways...

Oh, in other news I found a male giant european house spider Steatoda gigantea on the wall of the buiding next door. Almost two inchs long and that was the male! Means there's a female out there the size of a billiard ball!

I think I'm upset.

Ivan Viehoff
2011-Sep-29, 02:33 PM
If you had a 24W fluorescent growlight, on a timeswitch 16 hours a day, that would be 0.4kWh per day. In a quarter, that would be 36kWh. At say $0.20 a kWh, that is $7.20.

For $170, that sounds more like you were running 500W.

The Backroad Astronomer
2011-Sep-29, 03:52 PM
Don you not growing some "medicine" are you?

ABR.
2011-Sep-29, 04:20 PM
So in my request for lighting advice thread I mentioned the first utility bill came in. Power bill went from $233 to $414

The PG&E Excessive Use Patrol is going to come around asking you some interesting questions if you keep that up! I have a friend with the same problem. She raises african violets and has something on the order of several hundred cultivars. I can't remember if she proactively contacted the electric company or if she found a way to reduce the power consumption. She still has a remarkably high water bill, I'd bet.

You know, a buddy of mine who lived in Woodland, CA for many years kept sundews and many other plants outside with no problem. Of course, he also built a greenhouse. That one was built from scratch, but he later bought a kit house for about $600. Add a solar-powered fan and a reverse osmosis water system and it was a very affordable set up.

ABR. Now that the guys have been outside a while it seems the cape sundews are very well suited to the bay area life style. The cape sundews look like clump grasses with tufted seed heads. Seems the local small orb weavers are totally niave of sundews...until its too late. Some of them even get most of their webs built.

And only a bug nerd would get a chill from looking at three or four half completed orb webs built among the sundew's fronds. With a little knot of tendrils clustered around the builder's final repose. All classic night builds interupted with the spokes 30 and 60 percent finished. (A lot of folks don't know that almost all orb weavers start building or rebuilding their webs between midnight and one AM local, standard time.)

That would make for a great photo -- not an eagle taking out a bird in mid-air great, but still....

Luckmeister
2011-Sep-29, 05:14 PM
Oh, in other news I found a male giant european house spider Steatoda gigantea on the wall of the buiding next door. Almost two inchs long and that was the male! Means there's a female out there the size of a billiard ball!

I think I'm upset.

Did it look like the Steatoda grossa (http://home.comcast.net/~mcluster/steatodagrossa.jpg) (false black widow)? I went Googling and couldn't find the Steatoda gigantea but the one in my link (from www.eurospiders.com) reminds me of the black widows I grew up with (and had a strong fear of) in eastern Washington, except they were a more solid black.

Mike

Ivan Viehoff
2011-Sep-29, 07:22 PM
Steatoda grossa is one spider called a house spider, and Tegenaria gigantea is another. Guess BD virtually crossed them.

BigDon
2011-Sep-30, 12:35 PM
David, in California, with my well documented seizures, all I would need to do is drop two bills on Dr. Fasttalk and I'm legal in a week. If I didn't mind being treated like a retarded criminal whenever I flew into Canada. (I know others.)

ABe, I read that yesterday and went out with a camera but the afternoon westerlies had already done a number on them. I'll try again later when the sun comes up. (It's quarter after five at the moment.)

Excellent guess Ivan! I posted that at five AM my time and I guess the coffee hadn't kicked in yet.

It was the latter, Tegenaria.

We might have to spray for Tegenarians. Or see how they taste with drawn butter...

Now I have to go over to Astronomy and explain to Nereid why I didn't finish the homework assignment he gave me for being a wiseguy in one of his threads. (I'm not smart enough!)

Tobin Dax
2011-Oct-01, 12:28 AM
Now I have to go over to Astronomy and explain to Nereid why I didn't finish the homework assignment he gave me for being a wiseguy in one of his threads. (I'm not smart enough!)

I may be a bit late, but Nereid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nereid) isn't a "he", Don.