PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Baseball Playoffs

jfribrg
2011-Sep-29, 04:16 PM
I don't know if baseball will ever see a better night than the final day of the 2011 regular season. There were four immensely important games involving the four teams that were competing for the final two playoff spots. These games also involved the two teams with the best regular season records. Of course there were two teams that were on the verge of possibly the worst September collapse in the history of the game. Then there were the lesser plot lines of the Phillies going for a franchise record 102 wins and their manager going for a team record 646 career wins. Three of the four games were come-from-behind wins and two of them went to multiple extra innings, and two of the games had walk-off hits to end the game. Tampa Bay and Baltimore were both down to their last strike and came back to win. There were outfield assists at the plate and a great fielding play to catch a Yankees runner at third. And then there was the Yankees giving up a 7 run lead needing only 4 outs to finish the win. Also, there's the irony of Boston fans desperately hoping for a Yankees win for those four minutes between the Red Sox loss and the Tampa Bay win. Perhaps some of them were rooting for the Yankess all week, but I suspect that most of them refused to do so as a matter of principal. St Louis did it the easy way by getting a huge lead against a weak team and cruising to a win, but then they had the nerve-wracking 2 hour wait while Phillies-Braves game went to 13 innings before knowing if they were in the Playoffs or in a 1 game winner-takes-all tiebreak the next day. Unless you're a Red Sox or Brave's fan, you couldn't ask for better drama.

Stubby Boardman
2011-Sep-29, 04:25 PM
I really, really regret giving up on the Yankees-Rays game. Sure, it was 7-0 at the time, but I've seen the Rays come back late often enough to know there was the potential for huge fun.

And man, I love seeing the Bosox humiliated. I've never seen a real team that reminded me so much of the Gashouse Gorillas from the old Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Arneb
2011-Sep-29, 04:57 PM
Wow, this drama even made it into the German news (here (http://www.faz.net/s/Rub413BA5AD8E3D412282EE9A4C6AFA02FC/Doc~E9E1C22F8E67E4B6F843E8774A25B91B5~ATpl~Ecommon ~SMed.html)). Extraordinary. Most people over here couldn't even say what this sport is about, let alone appreciate a dramatic match.

Jim
2011-Sep-29, 05:04 PM
There are playoffs?

Fazor
2011-Sep-29, 06:22 PM
For me the 2011 playoff hopes died shortly after the All Star break. Not that the Indians were actually eliminated until much later, but it was plain to see that the magic that had lead them to the best record in all of baseball wasn't going to last.

Still, sounds like some interesting games. I, like many, enjoy seeing the BoSox eliminated. But, to be honest, I'd rather see them Yanks not make it. Hopefully they'll peter off in the first round again. But I officially don't care about any of the teams in the race.

And with Columbus' MLS team doing everything in their power to miss the playoffs, I have too many important games there to care about to really get excited about baseball.

Trebuchet
2011-Sep-29, 07:05 PM
There are playoffs?

My thoughts exactly. My team's playoff hopes pretty much end in April each year.

Donnie B.
2011-Oct-01, 02:29 PM
A painful season for Red Sox fans, and the last game pretty much summed it up.

Well, we can hardly complain given the incredible success of our major league franchises over the last decade. The Boston papers are talking about how this year's Sox team reintroduced a new generation to the traditional pain of Bosox fandom. It's strange to think that there's a whole new generation of young folk who have never seen the team collapse in September, which was once an annual event (you knew fall was coming when the Sox fell out of contention!)

... And Fazor, what's with the hatin' on the Red Sox? Come on, I grew up as an Indians fan but you don't hear me gloating about their woes, now do you? :think:

Fazor
2011-Oct-02, 03:18 AM
... And Fazor, what's with the hatin' on the Red Sox? Come on, I grew up as an Indians fan but you don't hear me gloating about their woes, now do you? :think:

If it helps, they're #2 on the hate list. Goes Yankees > BoSox > Phillies > White Sox. Just the way it is for me. Always has been. Well, except for the Phillies; they're a relatively new addition to the mix.

Trebuchet
2011-Oct-02, 03:10 PM
Mine is Yankees, Yankees, Yankees, Yankees, ad infinitum. They and many of their fans just have too much sense of entitlement. Oh, and ARod.

Click Ticker
2011-Oct-03, 02:24 PM
Well, it's good to be in Michigan right now.

Tigers did what they were supposed to do and win one on the road in New York. Now we have Verlander going tonight against Sabathia. Hope he gets off to a better start than he has lately. Porcelo is going in game 4. A ground ball pitcher in with a big outfield to work with as well. Like our chances in that one.

Lions are 4 - 0 for the first time since 1980 (1957 was last time previous to that)! That's with starting three games on the road and coming back from 20 or more down in the second half - twice!

Wings are the Wings (they always have Stanley Cup hopes and a realistic chance) and the Pistons just might end up without a loss this season if things continue as they currently are.

Swift
2011-Oct-03, 02:58 PM
...and the Pistons just might end up without a loss this season if things continue as they currently are.
:lol: Yeah, I suspect the Cavs will have the same perfect record.

For what its worth, I'd love to see the Tigers crush the Yankees.

pumpkinpie
2011-Oct-03, 03:02 PM
Another Tiger fan! Awesome!

Valverde is the Tigers' closer who converted 49 out of 49 save opportunities. None blown.

However, he is awful when he comes in when it's tied or the Tigers are ahead more than 3 runs. I knew it was a mistake to bring him in last night when it was 5-1. He had me scared--gave up 2 runs and more baserunners. If they would have lost, I would blame it on the manager as much as the pitcher for bringing him in when he's proven he's not at his best in those situations.

I can't wait to watch Verlander tonight! Let's make it two so they can win the series in Detroit!

Fazor
2011-Oct-03, 03:07 PM
For what its worth, I'd love to see the Tigers crush the Yankees.
It's funny, and really shows how much I hate the Yankees. I should hate Detroit, being in Cleveland's division and all. But I'll root for the Tigers whole-heartedly. Really, they've had a hell of a season and I'd like to see them win it all. They deserve it.

And LOVE that the Lions came back against the Cowboys. They're my Yankees of football. Mostly because I have too many friends that are Cowboys fans for no reason other than they were the dominant team when we were young. I don't like bandwagon fans, dagnabbit!

When I left for the Crew game, the Cowboys were cruising and I thought "ah crap. Looks like another night of my friends boasting of a win after the Browns got crushed." Came home (After watching the Crew win for the first time out of their last 7 matches!) and saw Detroit had pulled a stunner, which IMHO is even better than them crushing the Cowgirls. Get the fans hopes up, then dash them out in the final minutes! BOO-YEA!

But this is a baseball thread. So, once again, Go Tigers!

Jim
2011-Oct-03, 04:35 PM
I admit I'm having difficulty deciding which AL team to root for. The Detroit Astros are doing well, but I also like the Tampa Bay Astros. Too bad they're playing the Texas Astros.

In the NL, I lean toward the St. Louis Astros over the Phildelphia Astros just because I like Lance Berkman so much.

Swift
2011-Oct-03, 05:07 PM
It's funny, and really shows how much I hate the Yankees. I should hate Detroit, being in Cleveland's division and all. But I'll root for the Tigers whole-heartedly. Really, they've had a hell of a season and I'd like to see them win it all. They deserve it.
My hatred of the Yankees is two fold, one of which might apply to you.

First, I hate the Steinbrenner "lets just buy ourselves a championship" style of baseball. The way baseball finances are structured, a couple of teams (particularly the Yankees and Red Soxes) have essentially infinite money to spend. It feels unfair.

Second, I have genetic reasons - both my mom and dad's families were Brooklyn Dodger fans (except for one uncle who was the world's only NY Giants fan). Dodger fans hated the Yankees for generations. When the Dodgers left, they all became Mets fans, but still hated the Yankees. This leads to the question asked of me, "who will you root for when the Mets play the Indians in the World Series?". Yeah... that's almost as big a problem as unicorn attacks.

And LOVE that the Lions came back against the Cowboys. They're my Yankees of football. Mostly because I have too many friends that are Cowboys fans for no reason other than they were the dominant team when we were young. I don't like bandwagon fans, dagnabbit!
We must be long lost brothers - I hate the Cowboys too. I think it goes back to when they used to advertise themselves as "America's Team".

schlaugh
2011-Oct-03, 05:08 PM
Around here we can only fondly recall the great years of the 1990s and early 2000s when playoff appearences seemed almost a lock. Which only makes September's swoon/plummet/swandive that much harder to take. St. Louis played out of their collective minds and the Braves....didn't. And injured starters is no excuse. They gagged.

Click Ticker
2011-Oct-03, 06:22 PM
....However, he is awful when he comes in when it's tied or the Tigers are ahead more than 3 runs.

I was having Todd Jones flashbacks. A friend of mine sent me a couple of Todd Jones text references during that inning. That slip on what should have been the third out pop up could have been far worse. One of the Detroit papers had an article about what might have been known as "The Slip" for generations, had the next guy not just grounded out to end the game.

Trebuchet
2011-Oct-03, 11:17 PM
First, I hate the Steinbrenner "lets just buy ourselves a championship" style of baseball. The way baseball finances are structured, a couple of teams (particularly the Yankees and Red Soxes) have essentially infinite money to spend. It feels unfair.

And then there are teams, like the one around here if you can call that a "team", that spend tons of money and have nothing to show for it. The NFL, with salary caps and revenue sharing, does it better. Although the local NFL team is no great shakes either.

pumpkinpie
2011-Oct-04, 02:05 PM
I was having Todd Jones flashbacks. A friend of mine sent me a couple of Todd Jones text references during that inning....

Ah yes, "Rollercoaster" Jones. Thankfully Valverde's lows are more infrequent than his highs.

ToSeek
2011-Oct-04, 04:14 PM
Another Tiger fan! Awesome!

Valverde is the Tigers' closer who converted 49 out of 49 save opportunities. None blown.

However, he is awful when he comes in when it's tied or the Tigers are ahead more than 3 runs.

There have been several closers on my teams who didn't seem to be able to concentrate until the tying run came to the plate. Drives me nuts.

Fazor
2011-Oct-04, 06:17 PM
There have been several closers on my teams who didn't seem to be able to concentrate until the tying run came to the plate. Drives me nuts.

They're paid by MLB to make the games closer, thus more exciting, thus better for television.</tinfoil>

jfribrg
2011-Oct-04, 07:23 PM

I have not-so-fond memories of the 1993 season when My Phavorite Team was in the World Series. They had a closer whose nickname was Wild Thing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitch_Williams_(baseball)). He was rather effective for most of the season, but in the playoffs he could not throw a strike and was responsible for several losses including Joe Carter's famous walk-off home run that ended the series. It seemed that every time My Phavorite Team had a lead late in the game, said closer would be put in the game even if the starting pitcher was doing fine. I sometimes wonder if the manager threw the World Series. He didn't need any of the players to be in on the plan. If the team was winning when he wanted them to be losing, he just puts in his struggling closer who would then proceed to walk several opposing players and viola, the team loses.

Fazor
2011-Oct-04, 07:24 PM
I have not-so-fond memories of the 1993 season when My Phavorite Team was in the World Series. They had a closer whose nickname was Wild Thing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitch_Williams_(baseball)). He was rather effective for most of the season, but in the playoffs he could not throw a strike and was responsible for several losses including Joe Carter's famous walk-off home run that ended the series. It seemed that every time My Phavorite Team had a lead late in the game, said closer would be put in the game even if the starting pitcher was doing fine. I sometimes wonder if the manager threw the World Series. He didn't need any of the players to be in on the plan. If the team was winning when he wanted them to be losing, he just puts in his struggling closer who would then proceed to walk several opposing players and viola, the team loses.

Jose Mesa. 'nuff said.

Swift
2011-Oct-04, 09:20 PM
Jose Mesa. 'nuff said.
:eek: You had to say that name. The nightmares had almost gone away finally! :sad:

:shifty:

SeanF
2011-Oct-07, 01:04 PM
And may I be the first to say, "Ha, ha!" :D

Jim
2011-Oct-07, 04:24 PM
Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;
But there is no joy in Bronx Town - mighty A-Rod has struck out.

Swift
2011-Oct-07, 04:52 PM
:lol:

pumpkinpie
2011-Oct-07, 06:46 PM

Because it's always about the Yankees....the Tigers didn't *win*, the Yankees *lost.*

DonM435
2011-Oct-08, 01:03 AM

Yep. The announcer duly pointed out that this man has hit more grand slam homers than anyone but Lou Gehrig . . . and he can't even muster a sac fly.

SeanF
2011-Oct-08, 01:39 AM
Because it's always about the Yankees....the Tigers didn't *win*, the Yankees *lost.*
No, it's not always about the Yankees. There are lots of games every year in which the Yankees don't even play.

But when the Yankees do lose, it doesn't really matter who beats them. :)