PDA

View Full Version : Relativity is difficult to understand

kjavds
2002-May-08, 08:45 AM
It took me too too long to finally grasp it. Why? It was being explained POORLY in just about EVERY SINGLE treatise there is out there on the subject. So I have devised my own approach to getting the message across. Try it here: http://www.ezrelativity.tk Have a great summer.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kjavds on 2002-05-08 04:47 ]</font>

GrapesOfWrath
2002-May-08, 01:26 PM
On 2002-05-08 04:45, kjavds wrote:
It took me too too long to finally grasp it. Why? It was being explained POORLY

I'm having trouble accessing that website. Besides, I have a short attention span. Could you summarize it?

David Hall
2002-May-08, 01:50 PM
I perused the site a bit, and sorry to say, it didn't clear things up much for me. There were some good points I hadn't considered before though.

I think relativity is poorly understood mostly because it is rather counterintuitive, not because of any deficiency in teaching it per se. Another problem is that different people have different learning styles. What works well for one person may do nothing more than confuse the heck out of another.

To really get the point across to everyone, you need to have a variety of styles. I'm a rather graphically oriented person myself, so I like to have lots of clear images and graphs. Others work better with descriptions, or with hands-on demonstrations, or by analogy (and some can't handle analogy at all. JW anyone?).

Many people have put out good primers on relativity. There are some great books on the subject out. And with the convenience of the internet, anyone with a true desire to learn can find a relativity site that will help them. They just have to go looking.

Your page is likely to help many people. Just don't expect everyone to get it. I'm glad you found a way to grasp the concepts yourself. Thanks for the site kjavds.

kjavds
2002-May-08, 02:13 PM
Could I summarize it? I suppose.

It appoaches the issue from the viewpoint of that AGE-OLD quandry as to whether the Sun goes around the Earth or vice versa, and expands the discussion from there. It's very illuminating, I guarantee. It addresses both special and general theories with no math, it has no ads, and is less than 3 thousand words. It has a couple diagrams but they are quite optional.

There may have been intermittent access problems to http://www.ezrelativity.tk yesterday during my ISP's crisis, but it's been moved to a more reliable server now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kjavds on 2002-05-08 10:16 ]</font>

kjavds
2002-May-08, 02:46 PM
On 2002-05-08 09:50, David Hall said: (much)

Thank you for your sentiments David and, well said!! -- uh, for the most part. LOL, you spoke of different learning styles and mentioned 'hands-on demonstration' and I'm wondering, "of relativity??"

I've looked at TONS of stuff on the subject (printed & online) and I hate the usual approach, HATE it! It speaks too much of History and Chronology and where Einstein spent his youth, blah, blah, blah. It uses the infamous 'train' analogy which clearly does NOT spark illumination, no, not really at all. And 99% of these primers only address SR, without COMPLETING the picture. Without integrating GR you don't truly speak to real life scenarios.

So http://www.ezrelativity.tk deserves a look-see!

David Hall
2002-May-08, 03:19 PM
On 2002-05-08 10:46, kjavds wrote:
[Thank you for your sentiments David and, well said!! -- uh, for the most part. LOL, you spoke of different learning styles and mentioned 'hands-on demonstration' and I'm wondering, "of relativity??"

Well, ok. I wasn't speaking so much of relativity at that point. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif But I can imagine at least certain computer animations and simulations that might do the trick.

The point is, some people need more than a simple lecture to really grasp something.

GrapesOfWrath
2002-May-08, 04:13 PM
On 2002-05-08 10:13, kjavds wrote:
It appoaches the issue from the viewpoint of that AGE-OLD quandry as to whether the Sun goes around the Earth or vice versa, and expands the discussion from there.

Hmmm. What's your opinion on geocentrism?

Whenever I bring up the page (http://webpages.mountain.net/ysy/Kenrr/) in Netscape, the "splash" graphic covers up the first part of the text.

2002-May-08, 05:41 PM
<a name="20020508.9:35"> page 20020508.9:35 aka Lies & BIG LIES
On 2002-05-08 12:13, GrapesOfWrath wrote: To: 11 AHAU 14 UO

relativity? a CODE WORD {late 20th Cent.}
to sell a lot of books Make a Lot of $'s
and not much Cents
My take: I took a look? understood Most of
the Words.. but disagree about how long it
takes a radio signal to go from right to left
[or left to right] 4Me it depends upon time of day {just like everything else}