PDA

View Full Version : viewing angles of supernovae/ remnants

trinitree88
2011-Oct-05, 07:44 PM
The authors point out that viewing angles to supernovae influence inferences made from them. SEE: http://arxiv.org/abs/1110.0480 Unfortunately, I cannot sit idly by while they make the claim that this is news. It was news when I wrote the paper for the Gravity Research Foundation, and later at the MIT Winter Course in Particle Physics in the winter of 91-92 and Betty Sapp, wife of the Director of the Bates Linear accelerator, Wade Sapp, commented..."original!".It was less so for the talk at the A.A.P.T @ Vassar in "92". Even less so @ Williams "93". Much less so @ Harvard "94" (Matt & Ben & the GWH thing). Much less so for my posts in the Astronomy Club forum on AOL in 92-95 before they deleted everything for everybody. Even less so @ Norwich U." 97" & Pratt & Whitney Aircraft, Hartford, 2005. Since then, dozens of posts here for six years. Electronic publishing counts in being first, and the idea espoused in this paper that this idea is "new" in the last few years is more than misguided. It's a lie.:naughty: Sometimes you have to draw a line in the sand. I'm drawing this one. The state flag says: "don't tread on me" ....with a rattlesnake coiled. Tread carefully. There are issues here that belong in the ethics domain of the A.A.A.S. :think: pete

StupendousMan
2011-Oct-06, 11:50 AM
If you feel that your work has not been read by the current researchers, why not write it up and put it on astro-ph so that everyone can see it?

Swift
2011-Oct-06, 12:59 PM
If you feel that your work has not been read by the current researchers, why not write it up and put it on astro-ph so that everyone can see it?
Agreed. Or a letter to the editor of A&A Letters, where the paper is being published.

Jerry
2011-Oct-13, 03:35 AM
The evidence presented here implies that the viewing angle must be taken into account when deriving extinction values and distances in future cosmological studies based on Type Ia supernovae...

The strengths of these color dependences on Vneb imply that the ejecta are asymmetric and that they are as important as the relations between color and the delta(magnitude in Blue)... A reasonable conclusion is that the continuum emission is also affected by viewing angle effects.

Old road. New bandwagon. Not quite the same over-rooted optimism.

We are never so lucky as we hope.

Jerry
2011-Nov-05, 01:37 PM
Progenitor's signatures in Type Ia supernova remnants

http://arxiv.org/abs/1111.0904

We find that Kepler's SNR is consistent with a symbiotic binary progenitor consisted of a white dwarf and an AGB star. Our hydrosimulations can reproduce the observed kinematic and
morphological properties. For Tycho's remnant we use the characteristics of the X-ray spectrum and the kinematics to show that the ejecta has likely interacted with dense circumstellar gas.