PDA

View Full Version : New kindles

jfribrg
2011-Oct-06, 04:51 PM
As many of you probably know, Amazon is going to be releasing several new Kindles in about a month. I had already decided to get a Kindle, but now I plan to hold off and get one of these new ones. The top-of-the-line Kindle Fire looks interesting, but the screen uses a different technology and unlike the others, they don't say that it is readable in bright sunlight. Does anyone know how well the Kindle Fire works in sunlight?

Taeolas
2011-Oct-06, 05:10 PM
It sounds like instead of being an eReader (like the original Kindles, and Kobo and Nooks, etc....) which have eInk displays which work fine (great even) in bright light; the new Fire is a Tablet, with an LCD or LED (haven't looked at the specs) display. Those types of displays don't work as good in direct lights.

So if you want an eReader, get a classic Kindle of some sort, or a different brand of eReader even (like the aforementioned Nook or Kobo or etc....). If you want a Tablet, shop around but I suspect an iPad or a Galaxy would probably be better than afirst-gen Fire.

Taeolas
2011-Oct-06, 05:10 PM
Dupe post due to board hiccup.

slang
2011-Oct-11, 09:37 PM
Dupe post due to board hiccup.

weird hiccup.. thread doesn't show your replies are here. *bumping* for OP. :)

crosscountry
2011-Oct-11, 11:11 PM
Those Kindle Fires are selling quickly. You can get a new 6" reader for cheap these days if you don't mind ads.

Solfe
2011-Oct-12, 12:40 AM
Aw man, I just bought a Kobo 2 months ago. Can't they just stop making newer and better things for a year or two?

jfribrg
2011-Oct-12, 11:38 AM
It sounds like instead of being an eReader (like the original Kindles, and Kobo and Nooks, etc....) which have eInk displays which work fine (great even) in bright light; the new Fire is a Tablet, with an LCD or LED (haven't looked at the specs) display. Those types of displays don't work as good in direct lights.

So if you want an eReader, get a classic Kindle of some sort, or a different brand of eReader even (like the aforementioned Nook or Kobo or etc....). If you want a Tablet, shop around but I suspect an iPad or a Galaxy would probably be better than afirst-gen Fire.

That's my impression too. Only problem is that I could really use some of the other features that the Kindle Fire is offering. And since an iPad is currently 250% more expensive ( and has features that I probably won't use much), this looks like a good deal. Now I have to decide if the drawback about bright light is a show-stopper for me.

Taeolas
2011-Oct-12, 12:22 PM
Aw man, I just bought a Kobo 2 months ago. Can't they just stop making newer and better things for a year or two?

I was even worst. :P I bought my Kobo last spring, and not even a month later, the Kobo Touch came out.

This weekend I cracked the screen on my Kobo so I did finally get a Kobo Touch and I'm really happy with it. (Screen does seem a bit unresponsive at times, but I think I'm still training myself on how best to change pages).

Solfe
2011-Oct-13, 01:48 AM
I have a Touch and it always feels clunky to me. I am not sure why. The zoom command could be smarter.

Noclevername
2011-Oct-13, 02:30 AM
I got a Kindle a few months ago and it already feels outdated; My sister (who bought it for my birthday) was trying to show me some feature and kept swiping the screen until I pointed out to her that it wasn't a touchscreen, it had a keyboard. But I think I'll wait until the Newest Shiniest competition has died down a little before getting anything else. (I don't even have a smartphone-- my only app is "call people on the telephone and talk to them".)

Van Rijn
2011-Oct-13, 03:21 AM
I've had a Kindle 3 for some time. It's good for reading text. It has developed a small area of dead pixels, which look like a bit of dirt on the screen. If you want to do anything other than reading text, don't get one. The screen updates faster than I would have expected for the technology, but it's very slow compared to LCD.

I have a fair number of issues with the Kindle, though some of them are publisher imposed, some of them are more on the Amazon side:

On the publisher side, there's usually a requirement that ebooks be copy protected. The problem with copy protection is that I read and collect books. I don't read and throw away books. If I get ebooks, I want to know that I have copies that I can read a couple decades from now, on whatever devices I have then, assuming the format is still supported, without having to worry about whether Amazon is still around and allowing me access. My only real purpose for getting ebooks over paper books is that they don't take up a lot of physical space, so DRMed ebooks are of limited use to me.

There are some workarounds, but that gets into legal issues.

Another publisher side issue is that the costs of ebooks have generally been increased, so they're often around the same price as hardbacks. Publishers weren't liking where the industry was heading. I don't think that's going to work in the long run, but don't be surprised if you're paying almost the same for ebooks as paper books now.

On the Kindle software side, the software again seems to be designed for people who read and toss. Onscreen organization isn't that good and you can do "collections" - basically one level of directories - but it's a pain. If you get a magazine subscription, it will start auto deleting after a few months unless you specify - for each issue - that it's to be kept. Oh, and Amazon will only keep the last few issues available for repeat download so no luck there.

Further, quite a few features of the software aren't obvious, and I am better than most with UIs (I'm often the person others go to when they can't figure out how to get something to work).

CJSF
2011-Oct-13, 03:36 AM
I read in a few on-line sources that the Kindle Fire release might result in some price reductions for Android tablets. Do you think, if that happens, it would be nearer the holidays?

CJSF