PDA

View Full Version : Blade Runner 2?? Ridley Scott to direct..

chrlzs
2011-Oct-07, 11:19 AM
This appears to be genuine?

Deadline.Com - Ridley Scott to Direct Follow Up to Blade Runner (http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/toldja-ridley-scott-will-direct-follow-up-to-blade-runner-for-alcon-entertainment/)

:eek: Be still my beating heart!!!

Swift
2011-Oct-07, 01:42 PM
Given the almost universal bad nature of sequels, I'm not optimistic.

Buttercup
2011-Oct-07, 01:46 PM
This is just now news to you? It's been "around" for a while.

I'm not a fan of sequels either. But hopefully it'll be worthy of the original. Scott's got his own big shoes to fill on this one.

starcanuck64
2011-Oct-07, 05:05 PM
It could be good, but it could also end up wearing an artistic straight-jacket. The movie business seems addicted to resurrecting the past to ensure profits, one of the things that made Balde Runner so good is it broke the molds.

Paul Beardsley
2011-Oct-07, 05:11 PM
one of the things that made Balde Runner so good is it broke the molds.

Yes.

Jim
2011-Oct-07, 11:38 PM
It could be good, but it could also end up wearing an artistic straight-jacket. The movie business seems addicted to resurrecting the past to ensure profits, one of the things that made Balde Runner so good is it broke the molds.

You misunderstand Hollywood. They love breaking the molds... especially the successful ones.

SkepticJ
2011-Oct-07, 11:59 PM
Ridley also wants to make at least one Alien prequel. To explore the Space Jockeys. Because if the Star Wars prequels taught us anything, it's that you simply can't give too much exposition.

Middenrat
2011-Oct-08, 12:49 AM
I wonder whose idea this is? All it is likely to improve is our understanding of how much Big Studio Product has degenerated in the last quarter century.
Anyway, who has the (peculiar, chilling) charisma Rutger Hauer brings to the table?

R.A.F.
2011-Oct-08, 12:50 AM
Given the almost universal bad nature of sequels, I'm not optimistic.

Completely agree. The only sequel I can think of that "worked" for me was Aliens.

DukePaul
2011-Oct-08, 01:40 AM
The visuals of the movie were beautiful, the acting very uneven and the science full of holes. For years I too thought it was great but I now can barely watch it without yelling at the screen because of the poorly thought out science research. Clearly there is money to made on a sequel.

SkepticJ
2011-Oct-08, 01:58 AM
Completely agree. The only sequel I can think of that "worked" for me was Aliens.

Terminator 2? Empire Strikes Back? Wrath of Khan?

R.A.F.
2011-Oct-08, 03:04 AM
Terminator 2? Wrath of Khan?

Ok..ya got me there.

Empire strikes back?

I know the following is an unpopular opinion, but I just wasn't that impressed by Empire...well, not as impressed as I was with Star Wars.

starcanuck64
2011-Oct-08, 04:44 PM
You misunderstand Hollywood. They love breaking the molds... especially the successful ones.

Maybe I need to take some abnormal psychology.:)

kamaz
2011-Oct-17, 05:05 PM
I started thinking about possible cast, but got too scared.

SkepticJ
2011-Oct-17, 05:17 PM
Ashton Kutcher as Deckard?

starcanuck64
2011-Oct-19, 05:26 PM
How about Nathan Fillion as Deckard, he plays getting beat up really well like Ford did in the original.

Solfe
2011-Oct-20, 02:03 AM
I think a prequel would be better. They could play it straight and show Decker's less exciting cases. They could go all guns and glory and show Roy's activities and ignore Decker.

Either way, they would likely have to forget the year the first movie was set in - 2019.

Sigh... I remember when 1999 was in the incredibly distant future. There was even a song or two about it... Sigh.

starcanuck64
2011-Oct-20, 04:44 PM
I've always wanted to know more about the replicants offworld, that could be an interesting way to go.

nosbig5
2011-Oct-20, 08:32 PM
As quoted in another famous sequel : "I can tell it's going to be bad." - Twitches Too, 2007

I can't believe that movie was such a bomb. I mean, come on, it has teens, it has witches, it has teen witches who are twins! Destined to be a classic by 2019.

vonmazur
2011-Oct-21, 04:28 AM
"Tannhaeuser Gate" would be a good start...If they are doing Roy Batty....

Dale

jokergirl
2011-Oct-24, 11:34 AM
"Tannhaeuser Gate" would be a good start...If they are doing Roy Batty....

Dale

That's what I was thinking, I also want to see the C-beams glitter in the dark at Tannhäuser Gate.

;)

starcanuck64
2011-Oct-24, 07:39 PM
I saw Blade Runner: The Final Cut again this weekend and it seems to me there's a lot of material for a great movie focusing on the replicants. Roy is a combat model who's been around and "Seen things you people wouldn't believe", with modern CGI and 3D technology it would be cool to see what he's talking about. Leon was a combat loader who could load 400 lb. nuclear shells into space craft cannon all day so there must be some major warfare going on. Zora is an assassin with many talents including snake charming and Pris is" your standard pleasure model". That's just for a start, this movie could almost write itself.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2011-Nov-08, 02:21 PM
how about Harrison Ford as Deckard and Edward James Olmos as Gaff... pick-up the time line @ 30 years later...have some good young supporting actors....risk having Sean Young...no reboot

or do a reboot but different characters

starcanuck64
2011-Nov-08, 06:25 PM
There's a lot of world to explore with Blade Runner, another modern film noire detective story would be cool too. I'm kind of two minds if they do a reboot, I liked the new Star Trek but it felt kind of jarring at times trying to reconcile the new characters with the old versions.

One of the things that probably helped make Blade Runner the movie it was was the experiences Ridley Scott was going through in his personal life at the time. Having just lost his brother he didn't need to manufacture the emotional element behind the film, any new version is probably going to have a much different feel.

Gomar
2011-Nov-11, 12:16 AM
I saw the Director's theatrical release on 34st 2 years ago. BR2 is not a remake, not a sequel, possibly a reboot.
Like Superman was badly rebooted, and Batman goodly rebooted, and now Spiderman, and hopefuly soon
Terminator will be rebooted from the complete mess that came out of T3 and T4.