PDA

View Full Version : Shielding from Protons?

LongOfTooth
2011-Oct-09, 11:05 PM
If there was a CME from the sun that was so massive that it overwhelmed the earth’s geomagnetic field it would seem that the people on earth would be well served if they had some sort of protection to shield them from the radiation.

If such an event occurred what sort of shielding would you like to have in order to protect you and your family?

Feel free to tell me I'm an idiot and am asking a stupid question if that's the case.

Thanks

WayneFrancis
2011-Oct-09, 11:26 PM
Protons are alpha particles...even if they get through the magnetic field of the earth they generally don't get through a few inches of actual air.

WayneFrancis
2011-Oct-09, 11:27 PM
Oh Welcome to BAUT LongOfTooth.

Grashtel
2011-Oct-09, 11:34 PM
Protons are alpha particles...even if they get through the magnetic field of the earth they generally don't get through a few inches of actual air.
Alpha particles are helium nuclei, two protons and two neutrons. Protons are well protons, though while I haven't looked it up I am pretty sure they won't have much (if at all) higher penetration so the atmosphere should still be plenty of protection.

WayneFrancis
2011-Oct-09, 11:35 PM
Ah true...teach me to answer questions early in the morning :P

cjameshuff
2011-Oct-09, 11:37 PM

Protons are not alpha particles...alpha particles are helium-4 nuclei, two protons and two neutrons each. However, the atmosphere will be more than sufficient to protect against solar protons, electrons, alpha particles, etc.

antoniseb
2011-Oct-09, 11:38 PM
... I am pretty sure they won't have much (if at all) higher penetration so the atmosphere should still be plenty of protection.

At worst, the super-CME would remove a tiny fraction of our uppermost atmosphere. People are safe.

BigDon
2011-Oct-10, 06:17 AM
What about people outside the atmosphere?

Van Rijn
2011-Oct-10, 09:02 AM

If they don't have shielding they could have a problem. Ideas for Mars flights and so on usually assume a "storm shelter" - an area of the ship with extra shielding (which could be hydrogen fuel tanks or water tanks) to handle a major solar event. The ISS would be protected by the Earth for part of its orbit and it has some shielding, but if there was something really extreme, they'd probably return to Earth.

WayneFrancis
2011-Oct-12, 05:47 AM

If they are "outside the atmosphere" and don't have the equivalent of a few inches of atmosphere protecting them, ie no space suit, then I think they have far worse problems then protons from a CME hitting them.

WayneFrancis
2011-Oct-12, 05:52 AM
I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

Easy...everyone knows that invisible elves don't like you and wouldn't even live in your town :) Prove me wrong, show me one that is your friend :P

kevin1981
2011-Oct-12, 03:11 PM
Feel free to tell me I'm an idiot and am asking a stupid question if that's the case.

Theres no such thing as a stupid question. Personally i think if you don't know something but want or need to know the answer then you should
always ask the question.