PDA

View Full Version : Illinois Triangle UFO Sighting

we are not alone
2011-Oct-10, 01:36 AM
Illinois Triangle UFO Sighting (by multiple police officers)
(http://www.ufoevidence.org/cases/case277.htm)

This famous UFO case involved the sighting of a huge unidentified triangular-shaped UFO by police officers and others in the early morning hours of January 5, 2000, over the state of Illinois. The officers, from a number of small Illinois towns, were able to track the unknown object and maintain radio contact with each other during the event. Their in-depth testimonies have been fully documented by investigators.

What do you think? Experimental stealth bomber maybe? There were a lot of triangular UFO sighting just prior to the Stealth Bomber being unveiled in the middle east.

Mellow
2011-Oct-17, 03:52 PM
What do you think it was?

eburacum45
2011-Oct-17, 04:22 PM
Note that UFO reports are usually dealt with in the 'Conspiracy Theories' section, since they probably do not involve 'Life in Space'.

PetersCreek
2011-Oct-17, 04:46 PM
Note that UFO reports are usually dealt with in the 'Conspiracy Theories' section, since they probably do not involve 'Life in Space'.

True. So moved.

we are not alone,

Even if you are not advocating a conspiracy theory regarding UFOs (which I think you should make clear, one way or the other) discussion of UFOs belongs in the CT forum. If you are advocating a conspiracy of some sort, please review our rules for the CT forum.

kamaz
2011-Oct-17, 04:49 PM
Lights in triangular formation? My guess would be NOSS satellites (http://www.satobs.org/noss.html).

Garrison
2011-Oct-17, 05:01 PM
The report seems to have a lot of the usual problems, that is estimates of height, speed, and size without any indication of how these could have been determined in the circumstances. Also given multiple witnesses and that thus took place in 2000 how come no photos?

NEOWatcher
2011-Oct-17, 07:23 PM
The report seems to have a lot of the usual problems, that is estimates of height, speed, and size without any indication of how these could have been determined in the circumstances...
...Descriptions interpreted and paraphrased by the author instead of quoted, and an assumption that it was a single object.

I once saw nearly the exact same thing. It looked like a triangle of lights with some red blinking ones in the middle, and I don't remember any sound. Did I merely say "OH Dear, an unusual craft?". No, I thought "That's strange, I wonder what could be playing tricks on what I'm looking at".

It was the Blue Angels. And yes, from the back it looked like multiple lights. The exhaust was clearly visible as light in addition to the other running lights.

LotusExcelle
2011-Oct-19, 01:16 AM
I'd like to reinforce the point that three lights does NOT make a single-object-triangle. Human brains do some rather messy interpretations of limited data - and this effect in terms of a triangle is best compared to a Kanisza Triangle. Your brain makes you see something that simply doesn't exist.

Mellow
2011-Nov-01, 04:53 PM
The fact that we are good at pattern recognition and fuzzy 'blank filling' logic has made us what we are, it also makes us fill in the blanks when we have little actual information. There are loads of these 'triangle' sightings that (I believe) are simply 3 lights, probably not physically connected. Our brains just fill in the gaps.

kamaz
2011-Nov-01, 06:38 PM
There are loads of these 'triangle' sightings that (I believe) are simply 3 lights, probably not physically connected.

NOSS satellites I mentioned above are a good example: they fly in formation, so one sees three lights which move together. But everyone knows that aircrafts have contour lights at each end, so a group of three lights automatically gets interpreted as a triangular aircraft. The witness will then automatically memorize a triangular aircraft, when in reality he saw three lights moving in formation.

CJSF
2011-Nov-01, 06:44 PM
How far apart, in angular dimensions, are the individual satellites in a NOSS "formation" ? I have heard this as a potential explanation for triangular "craft" reports, but I've assumed they are clustered close together and would appear as "small" triangles. Is this an incorrect assumption?

CJSF

Tensor
2011-Nov-01, 11:00 PM
How far apart, in angular dimensions, are the individual satellites in a NOSS "formation" ? I have heard this as a potential explanation for triangular "craft" reports, but I've assumed they are clustered close together and would appear as "small" triangles. Is this an incorrect assumption?

CJSF

Generally first generation NOSS satellites (launched 1976-1987) were around magnitude +7-8 and rarely reached +2-4. Second generation (launched 1990-1996) were +5-6, rarely reached +2-4 but could get bright enough to lead to the following quote: "Imagine seeing Venus in formation with itself separated by a bit less than ~7 degrees, with Saturn trailing along; that's what the spectacle looked like." One triplet from the first generation and all three triplets from the second generation were still in formation as of the 2000 Illinois sighting. The first generation triplet was maneuvered back into formation in Nov 2005. In 2006 one triplet began to separate and by 2007 one satellite was almost 2 minutes behind the other two. Another second generation triplet (2-3) began separating in 2007, the trailing satellite was behind by 45 seconds. A Third generation doublet (launches 2001-2007)was launched to replace the two remaining second generation satellites of 2-3. All third generation NOSS satellites are only doublets, no triplets. Third Generation NOSS are generally around +5, can get to +2-4,and can rarely flash to -4. Separation for Third generation are on the order of ~2 degrees.

CJSF
2011-Nov-02, 01:21 AM
Thanks, Tensor. That helps me a little bit. So bigger than I thought, but still not "huge", at least based on my outstretched hand (to estimate the degrees).

CJSF

Tensor
2011-Nov-02, 03:32 AM
Thanks, Tensor. That helps me a little bit. So bigger than I thought, but still not "huge", at least based on my outstretched hand (to estimate the degrees).

CJSF

While not huge, you know how to estimate degrees with your hand. A lot of people don't. And what isn't all that much separation to you, would be huge to those who don't know how to do the estimate. After all, most people don't even know that those 2 degrees of the third generation satellites is ~four times the size of the full moon. If most people saw one of the triplets, with seven degrees of separation, to a lot of them, that would be huge.

Mellow
2011-Nov-02, 09:14 AM
While not huge, you know how to estimate degrees with your hand. A lot of people don't. And what isn't all that much separation to you, would be huge to those who don't know how to do the estimate. After all, most people don't even know that those 2 degrees of the third generation satellites is ~four times the size of the full moon. If most people saw one of the triplets, with seven degrees of separation, to a lot of them, that would be huge.

I can recall a number of times when friends or family have remarked "how huge the moon looks this evening" so I have no doubt that something 3-4 times the size of the full moon could be interpreted as massive.

NEOWatcher
2011-Nov-02, 05:51 PM
I would rule out NOSS because of the times stated in the article.

If the first sighting in Lebanon was about 4:10 to 4:15, and the sighting in Millstadt (about 22 miles away) wasn't until 4:29, then we are talking about something that (at altitude) could have been travelling at slow airplane speeds.
Even though a satellite may appear to be about the speed of an airplane, it's altitude is so high the viewing times would have to be virtually identical. (The word parallax comes to mind, but I'm having a hard time to elaborate on that)