PDA

View Full Version : Sequels you'd like to see

NEOWatcher
2011-Oct-10, 02:50 PM
Ok; dug out and watched "Space Camp" this weekend. I know it's complete fantasy, but I kept thinking about the aftermath.
What would the legal consequences be like? The review board? the Senate hearings? the lawsuits?
What would the life of those kids be like?

Naturally; we know that in reality NASA might be shut down, but wouldn't it make an interesting made for TV movie on "Lifetime"?

Of course, there's probably a lot of those kinds of movies with the same kind of followup. ("War Games", "Manhattan Project" off the top of my head)

"Jurrasic Park II" touched on that kind of thing for a bit, but only to set up the plot. Besides, the original event was somewhat isolated from the public. (at least until this movie).

Any ideas for others?

KaiYeves
2011-Oct-10, 03:31 PM
I agree with you that a SpaceCamp sequel like that would be amusing. (And on that note, a fourth Zenon, just to see the guy who built the moonbase having to explain to his investors that the base was destroyed and everyone was evacuated because of, um, the wrath of the moon goddess. Just to see them laugh at him and/or have him institutionalized.)

If theme park rides count, Dinosaur at Disney's Animal Kingdom. That scientist HAD to have gotten one heck of a chewing-out for abusing his position, going behind his boss' back to hijack the planned time travel trip and sending visitors who never volunteered on a very dangerous mission in which they were about literally one second away from being killed all to collect one specimen that could have been obtained in much safer ways.

Fazor
2011-Oct-10, 03:51 PM
I can't think of any good ones. It's weird that I like a movie once - let alone want to see *more* of it. Though, only half-joking, I'd say Forrest Gump. We lived through everything else in Forrest's life, I want to see how he handles being a dad!

DukePaul
2011-Oct-10, 05:17 PM
Fireflies

Contacted

Dancing with the Wolf Pack

SkepticJ
2011-Oct-10, 06:13 PM
Top Gun 2.

Ice Man and Maverick get married.

Solfe
2011-Oct-10, 08:20 PM
I can't think of any good ones. It's weird that I like a movie once - let alone want to see *more* of it. Though, only half-joking, I'd say Forrest Gump. We lived through everything else in Forrest's life, I want to see how he handles being a dad!

There is a book sequel to Forrest Gump. It is called Gump and Co. and it incorporates the Movie into the book as "exactly accurate". It even mentions that Tom Hanks portrayed Forrest in the movie.

I would like to see a sequel to Wall-e and Breakfast at Tiffanies.

Noclevername
2011-Oct-10, 09:57 PM
How about "Sequels You Would Like To Have Not Seen?" Now that would be a full page.

Romanus
2011-Oct-11, 12:41 AM
Can't think of any movies I'd really want to see sequels of; as a general rule, the best movies are the ones I feel would be *disserviced* by a sequel. I can, however, think of a book: two of my favorite books are Robert Silverberg's At Winter's End and The New Springtime. He was originally going to write a third book to round out a trilogy, but it never got beyond the outline phase...

Okay, maybe there is one movie I'd like to see...I've long wanted to see Clarke's 2061: Odyssey Three filmed.

schlaugh
2011-Oct-11, 01:15 AM
Not so much a sequel as a prequel - The Godfather 0.5 - or maybe 1.5 - showing Vito Corleone's rise to power during the 1920s and 1930s when Prohibition was in force.

NEOWatcher
2011-Oct-11, 01:52 PM
There's a lot of prequels/sequels that I would like to see, but I think my thought process in my OP wasn't very clear.

I was thinking more along the lines of a story that left things in such a state that there is a whole new plotline that can be created rather than just an extension or closure of an existing story. Or... the ramifications of what the story did.

ToSeek
2011-Oct-11, 03:06 PM
Ok; dug out and watched "Space Camp" this weekend. I know it's complete fantasy, but I kept thinking about the aftermath.
What would the legal consequences be like? The review board? the Senate hearings? the lawsuits?
What would the life of those kids be like?

Naturally; we know that in reality NASA might be shut down, but wouldn't it make an interesting made for TV movie on "Lifetime"?

The whole setup is so preposterous that I didn't really consider the aftermath. The only people allowed within three miles of a fueled space shuttle are the astronauts and a handful of vital support personnel, and the latter get out of the way just as soon as they possibly can. I was down there as a certified NASA employee, and the closest I got to a shuttle ready to launch (not even fueled yet) was on a bus circling the other launch pad. Even then, the bus driver said he'd get in trouble if he stopped for more than a few seconds.

NEOWatcher
2011-Oct-11, 03:18 PM
The whole setup is so preposterous that I didn't really consider the aftermath.
Exactly; That's why I considered it "Fantasy", and why I would love the "real" situation to be explained. Even if it's a ficional story about how today's precautions came into place.

The only people allowed within three miles of a fueled space shuttle are the astronauts and a handful of vital support personnel, and the latter get out of the way just as soon as they possibly can.
Well; consider the distance calculations in that movie. Huntsville to the launch site is less than an hour's drive, so that calculates out to being within 1000ft.

I think Space camp can probably support an "Error" thread all by itself. One of these days, I'm going to watch it to see how many mistakes I can find. I might have to pause quite often because they occur so frequently.

KaiYeves
2011-Oct-11, 03:32 PM
Exactly; That's why I considered it "Fantasy", and why I would love the "real" situation to be explained. Even if it's a fictional story about how today's precautions came into place.

Now I really want to read/watch that.

DukePaul
2011-Oct-12, 04:15 AM
Space Camp....oh how I hated that robot.....as much as I hated the robots in The Black Hole........

parallaxicality
2011-Oct-12, 07:24 AM
Hey! Don't diss Slim Pickens and Roddy McDowell! They were awesome!

I'd always wanted to see a sequel to Who Framed Roger Rabbit

ggremlin
2011-Oct-12, 09:37 AM
Characters based sequels don't really work until they were originally planned that way. But I would love to see stories that are based in some of the universes created by some movies.

For instance, what happened to the world after "The Day the World stood still"? the original not that fake rumor of a remake
What happened to Mars after the events of "Total Recall"?
What happened to Plans 1 to 8 and then 10 from Outer Space? :D

JustAFriend
2011-Oct-12, 02:39 PM
...as much as I hated the robots in The Black Hole........

Then you're really gonna hate the news: They're working on a remake.

Noclevername
2011-Oct-12, 07:20 PM
Yes, just what the world needs... more remakes. </sarcasm>

Solfe
2011-Oct-13, 01:56 AM
"Black Hole 2 - What the Heck Happened?"
"Event Horizon 2 - Why didn't we learn the first time?"
"Dumber and Dumberer 2 - What? You did NOT just say that."
"Star Trek Something or other: The Apology"

DukePaul
2011-Oct-13, 07:00 AM
Remember the original "The Blob" where they dropped the frozen Blob off in the Arctic in the end? Well how about if they dropped it on a Norwegian research base that just so happens to have an outbreak of Things. Blob vs Thing.

Solfe
2011-Oct-13, 04:08 PM
You can't remake The Thing again! The first one was interesting, the remake was pure nightmare fuel, now there is a third? Plus AvP made so many nods to The Thing, that it feels like a remake of The Thing.

If they remake The Thing again, they can just shorten the title to "Stuff."

NEOWatcher
2011-Oct-13, 05:37 PM
Remember the original "The Blob" where they dropped the frozen Blob off in the Arctic in the end? Well how about if they dropped it on a Norwegian research base that just so happens to have an outbreak of Things. Blob vs Thing.
Yahoo: About These BLOB movies? (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110212135456AAaz8oj)

Beware! The Blob (1972) aka Son of Blob
This is a direct sequel to the FIfties version. The remakes are, as listed by the first poster:
The Blob (1988)
The Blob (2011)
There are four movies with the Blob.

Although; the 2011 movie may actually be the Marvel character rather than the alien glop.

jrkeller
2011-Oct-13, 07:01 PM
Galaxy of Terror II

Doodler
2011-Oct-13, 08:55 PM
I'm going to get skewered for saying this...

Yes, its preposterous...yes, its pure garbage science...yes, the whole Mayan thing is just flat out retarded...BUT, taken at the "popcorn flick" level, it wasn't utterly horrible. Could be worth a "what's next?" sequel.

Hollyweird gets too much of a vicarious thrill out of wrecking the place, but there's some potentially awesome storytelling in the timeframe after the two hours of movie used to trash the place.

Its that kind of "what's next?" that makes The Walking Dead worth watching. Its what made the Stargate franchise so fascinating. Heck, Mel Gibson's career was built on a franchise that skipped "what happened?" and looked into "what's next?"

Doodler
2011-Oct-13, 08:56 PM
You can't remake The Thing again! The first one was interesting, the remake was pure nightmare fuel, now there is a third? Plus AvP made so many nods to The Thing, that it feels like a remake of The Thing.

If they remake The Thing again, they can just shorten the title to "Stuff."

Can't do that...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090094/

Solfe
2011-Oct-14, 03:08 AM
Oh No - Flashback moment! I saw that movie once and although I had blocked the name, the picture brings it all back now.

novaderrik
2011-Oct-16, 11:00 AM
they could make a sequel to "The Day After Tomorrow". the one main scientist dude wakes up and realizes that it was all a dream.

there was a main scientist dude in it, right? i assume so, but the wolves on the ship frozen in the middle of the street in Manhattan kinda made me forget everything else..

also, Serenity.. the world needs moar Firefly...

starcanuck64
2011-Oct-16, 08:36 PM
That's a big yup on a Serenity sequel.

I really liked Contact there's got to be more than enough material there to build a good sequel.

Paul Beardsley
2011-Oct-16, 08:58 PM
When I was a child, I saw When Worlds Collide. When they landed on the planet, and we got a glimpse of what it looked like, I really wanted to know more - have a whole film about them exploring their new land.

Nowadays, I'm inclined to think a good film (or book, play, game or whatever) is one that leaves you wanting more. That doesn't mean you can never have a sequel, or that it's always better to understay your welcome, but I think that the number of sequels which have actually added to a story are outnumbered by the ones that diminish the original.

Noclevername
2011-Oct-16, 10:59 PM
Y'know, instead of/in addition to a sequel to Serenity, they should turn it into a TV series!

SkepticJ
2011-Oct-17, 01:02 AM
Y'know, instead of/in addition to a sequel to Serenity, they should turn it into a TV series!

Be kind of hard, what with two of the characters dying in Serenity, and it's nine years after the series was canceled (actors age).

Like killing Data and Will Riker and expecting Star Trek:TNG to be reboot-able.

schlaugh
2011-Oct-17, 01:13 AM
I'd like to see a sequel to Children of Men. (spoilers alert).

What happen to the kid? What happened to the mom? Why was she fertile? What happened to Michael Caine's stash of weed?

Noclevername
2011-Oct-17, 02:27 AM
Be kind of hard, what with two of the characters dying in Serenity, and it's nine years after the series was canceled (actors age).

Work the aging and the missing characters into the new series. It could be done. Just not on Fox.

ABR.
2011-Oct-17, 04:34 AM
I would love to see a sequel to Highlander. I loved that movie and would have gone to see a sequel. But nope...one movie and out. I guess it's better that way.

Paul Beardsley
2011-Oct-17, 08:33 AM
I'd like to see a sequel to Children of Men. (spoilers alert).

What happen to the kid? What happened to the mom? Why was she fertile? What happened to Michael Caine's stash of weed?

I disliked the film because it seemed to consist entirely of violence and questions people weren't even asking, let alone answering.

Paul Beardsley
2011-Oct-17, 08:33 AM
I would love to see a sequel to Highlander. I loved that movie and would have gone to see a sequel. But nope...one movie and out. I guess it's better that way.

Yeah yeah, ditto 28 Days Later and The Matrix.

Mellow
2011-Oct-17, 01:57 PM
I do wish George Lucas would come up with a sequel or something for that excellent "Star Wars" thinggy, has anyone else seen it? He just seems reluctant to 'take the shilling' and make some erstwhile money from his creative endeavour.

NEOWatcher
2011-Oct-17, 02:33 PM
they could make a sequel to "The Day After Tomorrow". the one main scientist dude wakes up and realizes that it was all a dream.
That could make for some interesting "consequence" type of sequels.

Imagine the political situations after that movie along with the food shortages and other stuff that goes along with it.

Then there's the sequel about the big thaw, and things that they re-discover after the big cities are uncovered.

Jim
2011-Oct-17, 04:25 PM
they could make a sequel to "The Day After Tomorrow". ...

The Day After the Day After: The Thaw.

ETA: I see great minds and all that.

Paul Beardsley
2011-Oct-17, 04:40 PM
You could do a film about a man with a lisp who locks people in a malfunctioning walk-in freezer and call it Thaw.

kamaz
2011-Oct-17, 05:03 PM
I'm still waiting for Spaceballs 2: The Search for More Money.

starcanuck64
2011-Oct-17, 06:19 PM

Which they could immediately cancel leading to a widespread internet campaign and the production of a movie.

NEOWatcher
2011-Oct-17, 07:37 PM
I'm still waiting for Spaceballs 2: The Search for More Money.
...and History of the world part II. "Jews in space, Hitler on Ice, etc.". I wonder how that would work in today's PC world.

Noclevername
2011-Oct-17, 11:26 PM
Which they could immediately cancel leading to a widespread internet campaign and the production of a movie.

Nah, I already said I don't like remakes of what's already been done.

Van Rijn
2011-Oct-18, 03:46 AM
I'm going to get skewered for saying this...

Yes, its preposterous...yes, its pure garbage science...yes, the whole Mayan thing is just flat out retarded...BUT, taken at the "popcorn flick" level, it wasn't utterly horrible. Could be worth a "what's next?" sequel.

No thanks. I finally did end up seeing it when it was on cable, but I've had too many years dealing with 2012 conspiracy/hoax nonsense, and I was pretty angry with their deceptive viral marketing campaign. I refused pay money in the theater, or rent it through Netflix for that matter, as I didn't want to do anything that might reward them for it.

Still, that does remind me of a sequel I would like to see: A movie sequel to When Worlds Collide. There was a written sequel, though I've never read it. A movie sequel could be interesting.

novaderrik
2011-Oct-18, 04:15 AM

but not before they show the second episode of the season first, then move it to different nights and timeslots every week..

novaderrik
2011-Oct-18, 04:16 AM
...and History of the world part II. "Jews in space, Hitler on Ice, etc.". I wonder how that would work in today's PC world.

probably a lot better than Blazing Saddles 2 would go over...

starcanuck64
2011-Oct-18, 04:39 PM
but not before they show the second episode of the season first, then move it to different nights and timeslots every week..

After forcing the producers to write a new pilot in 48 hours that appeals to the lowest common denominator. "We really need an evil villain with a foreign accent to make this work"

WHarris
2011-Oct-18, 07:17 PM

Shiny!

I'd also like to see a sequel to "The Incredibles".

IsaacKuo
2011-Oct-18, 08:01 PM
Trekkies II: The Wrath of Cons

Swift
2011-Oct-18, 08:22 PM
I'd also like to see a sequel to "The Incredibles".
I'd like to see that too.

DataPlumber
2011-Oct-18, 08:37 PM
Son of Zardoz!
He rediscovers (without red hotpants!) the Vortex technology, then mayhem resumes.

starcanuck64
2011-Oct-19, 05:23 PM
Muppets from Space II