PDA

View Full Version : In the same field of view...

astromark
2011-Oct-13, 09:25 AM
Jupiter and Earth's Moon. With just my trusty and a little old 7 x 50's from inside my house are now visible.

My North Eastern horizon is not so flash as some buildings encroach... But the neighbours are nice people so trashing their home for a improved horizon is not viable...

As the Observatory is only twelve minutes away I rarely get the bino's out. Going to the obs on a full moon is also a hardly ever event..

I had forgotten how good they can be.. Now a question for some a little more adept at modern things like computers...than me. So thats most of you...

While making this study of Jupiter, I seem to have observed one of the moons at the 11 o'clock position.

can this be confirmed please ? ( that was 10 pm NZ time. )

and I see it better now at 11pm.. I do not remember seeing the Moons of Jupiter with my 7 x 50's before..

Whats the name of that site that will show me these things.. ? please.

StupendousMan
2011-Oct-13, 11:59 AM
If you download the planetarium program called "Stellarium" -- it's free, and will run under WIndows, MacOS, or Linux -- you can answer these questions for yourself. It's a great tool for skywatchers, and pretty easy to use, too.

Cougar
2011-Oct-22, 01:26 PM
I seem to have observed one of the moons at the 11 o'clock position.

Now, 9 days later, from my vantage, as Jupiter is setting, also using binoculars, I see two moons at 11 o'clock. Boy, that one is awfully far away from Jupiter.

glappkaeft
2011-Oct-26, 09:50 PM
and I see it better now at 11pm.. I do not remember seeing the Moons of Jupiter with my 7 x 50's before..

All four of Jupiter's Galilean moons should be easy even with 7x35mm binos, without Jupiter blinding you they would be naked eye visible (right now their magnitudes are between 4.9 and 5.9). There are a number of handy Apps and programs that can identify the moons (I use Stellarium on both PC and iPhone as well as Cartes du Ciel). Since the moons move rapidly you need a rather smart homepage for this task, for instance the homepage of "Sky and Telescope" magazine has this javascript utility (http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/planets/3307071.html?page=2&c=y).

Edit: Removed duplicate sentence fragment.