PDA

View Full Version : putting a camel through the eye of a needle? of course, where else?

trinitree88
2011-Oct-13, 09:43 PM
I must confess, computers have done a lot of damage to the lives of many people I know, and despite their prodigious computational abilities, I keep a reasonably skeptical approach to anything done only in simulations. Nevertheless, when programmed correctly, immensely satisfying results also pop out. This is one of them. The author's own suspicions that the result was seemingly unlikely for the orbit of Mercury to turn out in the resonance it has....instead turns out to be 100% likely, with the orbital dynamics approaching a temporary dynamical instability flawlessly....just like slipping a camel through the needle's eye. Pretty neat. Kudos. SEE:http://arxiv.org/abs/1110.2658

pete

Celestial Mechanic will love this one.

ravens_cry
2011-Oct-13, 10:16 PM
Another way to thread a camel through the eye of a needle is through spaghettification.
It's a bit messy though.

Jerry
2011-Oct-18, 04:37 PM
Utterly cool. One of the first things I did when I wrapped my hands around a computer with enough capacity, was try to 'land' Mercury. I couldn't - even with von eggle damping.