PDA

View Full Version : I want to move to Mumbai

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2011-Oct-14, 05:20 PM
I want to move to Mumbai. After watching an ep. of Trashopolis- I have become totally fascinated with that one particular city. I know this is probably just a foolish passing dream...what city (if you had a choice) would you like to live in?

Space Chimp
2011-Oct-14, 07:14 PM
Fair enough. But bear in mind that watching something in video media spares one from the various smells and odors.

Jim
2011-Oct-14, 08:15 PM
Well, that's where the jobs are (going).

Me? Given my druthers, San Francisco. I've visited there a couple of times and really like it.

PetersCreek
2011-Oct-14, 08:18 PM
...what city (if you had a choice) would you like to live in?

When I retired from the Air Force, I did have a choice of what city to live in, so I'm fortunate to live where I've long wanted to...in the vicinity of Anchorage, Alaska. But perhaps one day when I retire (for real), I'll take up residence in Homer (http://www.cityofhomer-ak.gov/).

Nicolas
2011-Oct-14, 09:17 PM
I want to move to Mumbai. After watching an ep. of Trashopolis- I have become totally fascinated with that one particular city. I know this is probably just a foolish passing dream...what city (if you had a choice) would you like to live in?

Go there on a holiday first. Or even better yet: go on a holiday somewhere else, but pass Mumbai for 1 day. You'll never want to live there again. It's fascinating for sure, but there's a reason the country is called I'll Never Do It Again. ;)

Seriously though: in my experience Mumbai is fascinating, but terrible. Truly terrible, a multimillion capacity trash dump. I haven't been in the north of India, but I have more experience than I want with the lower parts. I liked Chennai a lot better than Mumbai. Apparently Calcotta is better than Chennai, but I haven't been there. Still nothing I'd want to live.

Where would I want to live? Maybe Canada for the nature. Vermont also for the nature/emptiness. Southern France. I'm not a real city type, so I name areas rather than city's. I'm a countryboy.

Buttercup
2011-Oct-14, 10:21 PM
Mason City, Iowa.

That's near to my hometown. Nice small city.

But my husband won't leave *here.* :(

Noclevername
2011-Oct-14, 10:35 PM
Aloha, Hawaii!

Swift
2011-Oct-15, 01:32 AM
When I retired from the Air Force, I did have a choice of what city to live in, so I'm fortunate to live where I've long wanted to...in the vicinity of Anchorage, Alaska. But perhaps one day when I retire (for real), I'll take up residence in Homer (http://www.cityofhomer-ak.gov/).
http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/simpsons/homer-thinking.gif

Luckmeister
2011-Oct-15, 02:02 AM
Or maybe....

SkepticJ
2011-Oct-15, 06:06 AM
None.

City traffic stresses me out, there are way too many people, and some of my hobbies wouldn't work very well in an urban setting.

A mostly abandoned, overgrown city like out of Logan's Run would be pretty cool. I'd live in a place like that.

geonuc
2011-Oct-15, 09:13 AM
Albuquerque, New Mexico and Cody, Wyoming come to mind. Also Anchorage, Alaska. Maybe Perth, Western Australia, but I've never been there.

But that's if I had to live in a city. Lone Pine, California or Death Valley Junction, Nevada are more to my liking.

grapes
2011-Oct-15, 09:54 AM
Albuquerque, New Mexico and Cody, Wyoming come to mind.Grew up there, still have family, city park named after my Dad.

But, I'd be up in the mountains.

geonuc
2011-Oct-15, 10:06 AM
Grew up there, still have family, city park named after my Dad.

But, I'd be up in the mountains.

The mountains around there are awesome, but I understand Cody has relatively mild winters. True?

grapes
2011-Oct-15, 10:28 AM
Relative to where? :)

Relative to Laramie (elev. 7200 ft) yes, to Sheridan (elev. 3800 ft) no. A little worse than Denver, same elevation, five degrees farther south.

Don't want to get too warm: http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/wyoming/image_3ba39b6f-50e9-594a-a59a-21218e978d07.html :)

geonuc
2011-Oct-15, 10:34 AM
Relative to where? :)

Relative to Laramie (elev. 7200 ft) yes, to Sheridan (elev. 3800 ft) no. A little worse than Denver, same elevation, five degrees farther south.

Relative to the area immediately surrounding Cody. I was told by a curator at the Buffalo Bill Historical center that the city sits in kind of a low(er)-snow pocket.

grapes
2011-Oct-15, 10:57 AM
The wind probably blows it all away 1 :)

Still, I don't know--it's pretty much surrounded by mountains, so in that sense (more snow in the mountains) it would be low snow. I never noticed much real difference. Wait, yes up the rivers (west, and southwest) there was more snow--that may be what the curator was comparing it to. Even there, not the greatest skiing, but that may be just a function of available verticality or more probably economics. There's talk of re-opening Antelope Butte ski area in the Big Horns.

1: You'll never get a native to say that the place is nice :)

BigDon
2011-Oct-15, 01:22 PM
San Francisco or Singapore. Those were my two favorite cities.

Jim, I imagine the politics would drive you nuts though. It does me. Right now we have the whole huge, male circumcision is "genital mutilation" trip happening at the moment.

With all the real causes in the world...

swampyankee
2011-Oct-15, 01:34 PM
New York City. Where else is there?

BigDon
2011-Oct-15, 02:00 PM
Damn, all my best replies to that can be "read wrong".

swampyankee
2011-Oct-15, 02:14 PM
Damn, all my best replies to that can be "read wrong".

I like cities. I grew up in a farming community that was turning into a bedroom town, went to school in Chicago, and worked for several years in New York. Part of the reason that I like cities is that I've grown to hate driving and traffic. In a real city, they have subways ;)

DoggerDan
2011-Oct-16, 09:41 AM
Well, that's where the jobs are (going).

Me? Given my druthers, San Francisco. I've visited there a couple of times and really like it.

Same. Not so far away from home.

kevin1981
2011-Oct-16, 12:41 PM
The thing about living in a city is that it would be expensive, but if all that was taken care of by having a decent job ect
then i would seriously consider London.

I love London and it is only an hours drive from where i live now, so it would'nt be too far from family and friends. Also, i really
like dance music and it would be a good place to try to get dj gigs and make contacts in the industry. I don't dj at the moment but i used too
and it is something i would like to get into again, when the time is right.

Delvo
2011-Oct-16, 01:31 PM
I don't like big cities. I live in a city of about a hundred thousand people, and that's as big as I'd want. Among bigger ones, I guess Kansas City would be my preference because my sisters, mother, nephews, niece, and brothers in law all live there. But, sticking to smaller cities & towns, I go by regional factors like landscape, ecotype, and climate, so I'd be interested in whole regions, not points.

Right now I live in the eastern USA, in a part that you could call "mid-Atlantic" or maybe on the southern edge of "northeastern". Anywhere from here northward would be good for me. I love the hills/mountains/highlands, and the forests or a landscape of mixed forests and farmlands, and the seasons. One thing I'll give you against this area is that after the fall colors are gone, there's a lot of brown for a while. And that makes me think of the West, which has less fall color but more green instead of brown in winter. Because of the milder weather, the ideal range on that side of the continent would be a bit farther north: Washington or southern Alaska. (Western British Columbia might be ideal, but it's not going to happen because of the different-countries thing.) And I'd have to make sure I lived close enough to the ocean to get plenty of precipitation. Unfortunately, from what I've seen of Washington so far, all of the civilization seems to be not in the mountains but up against the ocean on flat land, with mountains only in the distance.

The Backroad Astronomer
2011-Oct-16, 02:42 PM
Something mid sized like Halifax would be perfect for me. I like the different food and having acces to few things I don't have here. I actually liked Halifax except for the somewhat snobbish attitude of a co-worker. But I would have to have an ideal job to live in a city. I like the country, the space to do whatever want, the nieghbors might look at your doing strange but they can't do much about it.

Trebuchet
2011-Oct-16, 03:19 PM
I don't like big cities. I live in a city of about a hundred thousand people, and that's as big as I'd want.

Bigger than I want. I live on the outskirts of one that size and hardly ever go downtown, except lately since my M-I-L has been in the hospital. Our plan for a long time has been to move to a lovely small town, Port Townsend, WA. Even there, our house is on the outskirts.

Since I mentioned the hospital, however, I will allow this: Access to first-rate medical care is a major example of an advantage of being in, or at least very near, a big city. If we had been in Port Townsend when my wife got sick in 2010 she likely would not have survived. It's something that worries me.

Githyanki
2011-Oct-16, 03:33 PM
As someone who as lived in foreign cities, I would say go down there and check it out first; spend a few months there and see of you like it. It took me about two weeks before I got sick of Buenos Aires; too much traffic, people, noise etc. I was so happy when I went to Rosario. As of now, the Patagonia and Bariloche are my favorite places to live.

Jim
2011-Oct-17, 12:01 PM
Grew up there, still have family, city park named after my Dad. ...

He must be quite famous. There's a soccer complex down the road from us that's named after him. Dad's Fields.

Oh, wait ... I may have the apostrophe wrong.

BigDon
2011-Oct-17, 01:40 PM
Yay, a judge told San Francisco to pull their heads out! California law specifically forbids individual municipalities from regulating the medical profession.

shriram
2011-Oct-17, 05:28 PM

I am seriously thinking of moving out of that crowded, over-populated concrete jungle!

The Backroad Astronomer
2011-Oct-17, 06:50 PM
One persons crowded, over-populated jungle is anothers paradise.

Nicolas
2011-Oct-17, 07:26 PM
Not Mumbai. Seriously. :)

Grey
2011-Oct-17, 08:53 PM
I'd like to live surrounded by forest, with no major cities nearby, but with smallish towns within a half hour drive or so. Fortunately for me, that's exactly where I do live. :)

BigDon
2011-Oct-18, 12:16 AM
Welcome to BAUT Shriram!

Some people are lonely, some have had enough company to last a life time.

Ivan Viehoff
2011-Oct-18, 11:03 AM
In terms of lovely climate and beautiful scenery, I came across several places in Bolivia that were just wonderful. Not on the altiplano, and and not in the lowlands, but places in between. Altitudes between 2000m and 3000m keep it not to hot year round, and close enough to the equator that it warms up nicely during the day even in winter. Of the cities, I think Sucre was my favourite. The living is very cheap. Wonderful range of produce available - tropical fruit from the nearby lowlands. In terms of the practical day-to-day existence, I can see some disadvantages.