PDA

View Full Version : a call to arms (or more precisely, keyboards)

likewhaaa
2011-Oct-15, 08:58 PM
Taking my chance posting (if it's even the right section?) here because I'm stuck in a quagmire and would benefit from a little or a lot of help.

I'm a layperson trying to do research for a fictional novel (whatever I say will you believe me that it's honestly NOT homework?!). This novel is not predominantly science based but happens to contain certain elements of astronomy, cosmology, quantum physics and taxonomy, which I'm having immense trouble finding answers to. I appreciate that you probably get a number of posters like myself, of whom you might very well be suspicious. Can't say anything in my defence other than repeat what I've already said :lol: (and if you don't believe me you can ask my teacher....whoops! :doh: )

I am not outright posting my questions in the forums because for a start they wouldn't contribute anything to the community here, and secondly they are hideously layperson-ish (obviously). I would prefer to discuss via PM. So, if anyone might be good natured and patient enough to dedicate just a few minutes (or hours; whatever you prefer) to answering some of my questions, or advising/correcting me, please send me a PM.

Thank you in advance.

Swift
2011-Oct-15, 11:16 PM
Hi likewhaaa, welcome to BAUT.

You can try to get people to start such a PM conversation with you, but really, there is no problem asking "hideously layperson-ish" questions on BAUT. To a great extent, that is the purpose of BAUT. We get such questions all the time and many active members are not professional scientists.

I would suggest that you ask such questions in our Q&A section (http://www.bautforum.com/forumdisplay.php/8-Space-Astronomy-Questions-and-Answers) and it is best to probably devote one thread to each question (or several closely related questions).

likewhaaa
2011-Oct-15, 11:25 PM
Thank you Swift! The layperson questions will be upon you like a plague of locusts :razz:

KaiYeves
2011-Oct-16, 01:03 AM
I've asked some pretty silly questions in my day, likewhaaa, so don't be intimidated.

John Jaksich
2011-Oct-16, 02:30 AM
I've asked some pretty silly questions in my day, likewhaaa, so don't be intimidated.

You ought to see some of my answers! Talk about hideous!

NEOWatcher
2011-Oct-17, 02:37 PM
You can try to get people to start such a PM conversation with you, but really, there is no problem asking "hideously layperson-ish" questions on BAUT. To a great extent, that is the purpose of BAUT. We get such questions all the time and many active members are not professional scientists.
To expand on that, there's probably plenty of people out there that might have the same or similar questions. So; hiding the discussions in PM's defeats both the interest of those people, and the possibility of collaboration on a subject within our own ranks.

BigDon
2011-Oct-17, 03:46 PM
Hideous layperson reporting as ordered.

Welcome to BAUT! That said...

Dude! I have left hemisphere brain damage, seizures and a community college education. So you know I have a LOT of questions.

(Sadly about half are of the nature of "Did anybody else see that!?")

BigDon
2011-Oct-17, 03:46 PM
There it goes again!

likewhaaa
2011-Oct-17, 06:33 PM
(Sadly about half are of the nature of "Did anybody else see that!?")

That's me to a T :lol:

likewhaaa
2011-Oct-17, 06:44 PM
To expand on that, there's probably plenty of people out there that might have the same or similar questions. So; hiding the discussions in PM's defeats both the interest of those people, and the possibility of collaboration on a subject within our own ranks.

I would actually welcome a collaboration (any offers?), but having had other stories, which were discussed publically, plajorized, I'm sure you can appreciate why I'd be cautious. Not that in principle you can trust anyone any more or less via PM (just generalizing here), but I'd much rather these ideas that I have not be in the public domain for all to see.

I will nevertheless post my questions in public but will have to be very limited on how much I give away. Not meaning to insult any forum members, but you never know who may be lurking...