PDA

View Full Version : The gadfly Grote Reber.... any relevance?

DataPlumber
2011-Oct-17, 05:54 PM
I have not read his book, "Endless, Boundless, Stable Universe", but I wonder what the more educated among us have to say about Grote Reber. This is someone who apparently pioneered radio astronomy and made landmark observations, but unlike Hoyle, seems to have little street cred in physics nor astronomy.

I tend to get into debates with friends who gravitate to the "gadflys" simply because like themselves, they have not done the work in the appropriate trenches to have much theoretical credibility.

StupendousMan
2011-Oct-17, 07:28 PM
When Hoyle wrote about stellar nucleosynthesis, he was right -- and founded an entire field. When he wrote about cosmology, he was wrong. Nobody's perfect.

When Greber described his radio observations, he was right -- and far ahead of the curve. When he wrote about cosmology, he was wrong. Nobody's perfect.

One might make a general claim that when scientists grow old and write about cosmology, they usually end up being wrong.

ngc3314
2011-Oct-17, 08:03 PM
One might make a general claim that when scientists grow old and write about cosmology, they usually end up being wrong.

Duly noted...

DataPlumber
2011-Oct-19, 12:15 AM
In 1977, Reber called current cosmology "mysticism". I'll try to collect some of his other words of "wisdom"...