PDA

View Full Version : Paul Spudisí Plan for a Sustainable and Affordable Lunar Base

Fraser
2011-Oct-20, 07:10 PM
Itís long been a dream to have a human settlement on the Moon, but in this age of budget cuts and indecisive plans for NASAís future, a Moon base may seem too costly and beyond our reach. However, noted lunar scientist Dr. Paul Spudis from the Lunar and Planetary Institute and a colleague, Tony Lavoie [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/90097/paul-spudis-plan-for-a-sustainable-and-affordable-lunar-base/)

Ronald Brak
2011-Oct-21, 08:04 AM
I like that it works with the strengths of our current level of technology, robotics and teleoperation. I also like how they have given consideration to how funding may not be constant. What I don't understand is what humans are going to do once they get to the moon. What can their physical presence contribute that is worth the cost of human rated spacecraft and life support? Unless perhaps they are paying tourists or colonists.

ravens_cry
2011-Oct-21, 08:26 AM
Expanding human knowledge and sphere of influence are to some of us simply priceless.
To others they are worthless.
I guess it depends on ones priorities.

IsaacKuo
2011-Oct-21, 09:57 AM
I like that it works with the strengths of our current level of technology, robotics and teleoperation. I also like how they have given consideration to how funding may not be constant. What I don't understand is what humans are going to do once they get to the moon. What can their physical presence contribute that is worth the cost of human rated spacecraft and life support? Unless perhaps they are paying tourists or colonists.

For people like Spudis, putting people on the moon and other planets is the whole point. It doesn't matter whether manned spaceflight contributes anything to anyone. It's an end in and of itself. If you don't think that manned spaceflight is its own justification...well then poo poo on you!

Personally, I am interested in exploiting space resources for purposes that will benefit humanity here on Earth. Three potential beneficial purposes are NEO deflection, global high speed internet, and space based solar power. All three of these could be done with unmanned factories mass producing unmanned radio transceiver drones. None of these would directly benefit from a manned presence on the Moon.

As a side benefit, these SBSP drones could also power cheap SSTOs, which would bring us mass market space tourism--but that's only a minor side benefit compared to he primary mission of providing clean energy to people on Earth.