PDA

View Full Version : October New Moon Spotting

Centaur
2011-Oct-24, 01:12 AM
It’s nearly time for the monthly New Moon spotting challenge. My detailed article previewing the waxing crescent Moon’s first appearance of the coming lunar month appears under the links for my related graphics at www.CurtRenz.com/moon

Photos and descriptions of the young Moon would be welcome additions to this thread. Please include your location, date, time and time zone.

Below is a photo I took from Arlington Heights, Illinois of the Moon aged 2.5 days on 2007 SEP 13 at 19:36 CDT. That Moon was positioned similarly to what you might expect to see on 2011 OCT 28.

http://www.curtrenz.com/NM070913.JPG

astromark
2011-Oct-24, 07:50 PM
Its a question well enough to be answered.. but with a ask for a graph.. Hours after moment of new moon.

We see and can image the new moon some hours after the lunar disk passes near the sun..

If you are in the right place with a clear western horizon and a nice clear sky you can get this...

and no its not my photo.. other than telling you its the moon and Venus.. and its still in daylight. but its very good..

and I note.. that if you know who took this and where and with what.. thank them and do tell.

How long into the new moon is it ? and thankyou...who ever you were.

Centaur
2011-Oct-24, 10:53 PM
Thanks for providing the photo, Astromark. The location of the photographer and possible inversions by the optical equipment remain unknown. If that photo is fairly recent, the shapes of the Moon and Venus most closely resemble that on 2009 APR 22. There was a daylight occultation of Venus on that date for many North American observers. The waning crescent Moon would have been about 33° west of the Sun about 2.6 days prior to solar conjunction. So if my guess is correct, it would have been an “Old” Moon and not a “New” Moon. BTW, I use the term New Moon in the classical sense of its first appearance as a crescent in the evening western sky after solar conjunction. For the day of conjunction I use the older term Dark Moon.

Swift
2011-Oct-26, 04:53 PM
I did have a lovely spotting of the last of the old moon yesterday, as I was driving to work in the morning.

Hellobozos
2011-Oct-26, 05:56 PM
I caught this 10-25-11,7am Est,Orlando,FL,USA

Centaur
2011-Oct-29, 12:44 AM
Nice rendering of "The New Moon in the Old Moon's Arms", Hellobozos.

I got a shot of the 2.1-day old Moon amidst clouds this evening. It was taken from Arlington Heights, Illinois on 2011 OCT 28 at 18:18 CDT.

http://www.curtrenz.com/NM111028.jpg

tony873004
2011-Oct-29, 04:27 PM
I snapped this one from San Francisco ~2011 Oct 28, 18:30 PDT. 2 hours makes a big difference. You moon is much thinner than mine. I managed to catch Venus in the bottom right of the shot. The night before this shot, I could not find the Moon at all, even though I knew it was sitting directly below Venus. Australia or NZ was probably the best place to catch the youngest Moon this time around.
http://orbitsimulator.com/BA/moonvenus.JPG

Centaur
2011-Oct-29, 05:00 PM
Nice catch of the Moon and Venus, Tony. I suspect that the difference in crescent widths was more due to camera movement, focal setting or exposure time than the two-hour separation. My camera was on a tripod with a remote trigger and set for a tenth of a second and infinite focal distance. Your Venus image appears to be streaking and foreground objects are not sharp. For me the Moon would have appeared 6.6% illuminated and 7.1% for you. Due to the Earth’s rotation the Moon appears to shift by its own diameter in about two minutes, and last evening would have traversed its lighted portion in about eight seconds.