PDA

View Full Version : Question about Perception of Time and Relative Size....

AutoBoof
2011-Oct-24, 06:04 PM
Please correct me if I am wrong, my understanding is that time perception varies depending on relative size.

For instance, Say we experience time at 1x. So in a world exactly the same as our world except they are larger by a scale of 100. so 1inch in the 100x scale world equals 100 inches in our normal 1x world.

Is there a ratio that describes the change in time perception as size increases?

This sounds little crazy, but I am curious....
My ultimate goal of posing this question is to figure out how long 13.4 billion years is to a being if each sun and planet is an atom (or quark) that makes up that being.

Thank you for reading,
Chris

Cougar
2011-Oct-24, 07:32 PM
Please correct me if I am wrong, my understanding is that time perception varies depending on relative size.

On what is your understanding based?

BigDon
2011-Oct-24, 08:20 PM
The only thing I ever read that mentioned something like this was the novel version of Fantastic Voyage.

And I think Asimov may have written a article stating something to the effect that human beings shrunk to near subatomic level would percieve time differently.

But that's all I got.

(Now if you could explain why the Apollo astronauts are three and a half seconds younger that if they hadn't gone to the Moon I'd be happier...)

Strange
2011-Oct-24, 08:38 PM
Well, there is an effect of scale. It takes something large longer to fall or pass by than something small (ceteris paribus) which is why if you film a model ship on a pond with little waves, you can slow it down to make it look life size (roughly). But this is just an effect of our perception, not a physical effect.

AutoBoof
2011-Oct-24, 08:43 PM
I read that cockroaches react faster than humans because the perceive time faster. To them we move in slow motion...Maybe it has something to do with the shorter distance information has to travel in the body?

If someone has a 1 Light Year inseam, I would think that it would take what we would perceive as a long time, just for the information to passed along the spinal chord. based on the limit of light speed.

Am I wrong in this? It seems very logical to me that the bigger you are the slower you would perceive time (relative to something smaller)

astromark
2011-Oct-24, 09:01 PM
Metabolic rate is not time itself.. but maybe the perception of it.

'If you drive like there's no tomorrow.. one day you will be right.'

and more to the point... Only humanity measures time as we are all that can care to.. or have a want for it.

BigDon
2011-Oct-24, 09:14 PM
Billions and triillions of corals would disagree with you Mr. Mark.

(They have sex every 30 days based on lunar cycles.)

BigDon
2011-Oct-24, 09:30 PM
I read that cockroaches react faster than humans because the perceive time faster. To them we move in slow motion...Maybe it has something to do with the shorter distance information has to travel in the body?

If someone has a 1 Light Year inseam, I would think that it would take what we would perceive as a long time, just for the information to passed along the spinal chord. based on the limit of light speed.

Am I wrong in this? It seems very logical to me that the bigger you are the slower you would perceive time (relative to something smaller)

Nerves do not operate at light speed. Only at roughly 110 mph

The perception of time slowing in a crises is caused by your brain increasing the speed at which it operates. 32 hertz is normal, and it doubles to 64 hertz with adreniline in some cases.

I've experienced it myself on several occasions when it was "go time".

kevin1981
2011-Oct-25, 02:50 AM
my understanding is that time perception varies depending on relative size.

I don't know how we could test this as perception of time is subjective(without looking at clocks). If two people were told to close there
eyes and without counting got told to open them when a minute had passed, person A could open there eyes 10 seconds before person B.
But both persons would perceive there time to be a minute. So doing this same test with other animals would be near impossible.

Paul Wally
2011-Oct-25, 10:31 AM

We can define the speed of light as 300 000 km/sec and we can say that the speed of light is the same no matter what your particular measure of a kilometer is. So a being 1000x bigger will have a measure of a kilometer 1000x our measure of a kilometer, let's call it a G-kilometer (giant's kilometer). Now if the speed of light remains the same for the giant, then it must be 300 000 G-km/G-sec. Thus 1 G-sec is 1000sec, so time slows down by the same factor as the size of the being. This is if we make the assumption that the measured speed of light must be the same for all sizes of beings.

Hornblower
2011-Oct-25, 12:52 PM
I have heard of suggestions that a mouse would have a sensation of the passage of one second that is similar to our sensation of ten seconds or so. That would seem to be consistent with the rapid heartbeat and short life span. What I do not know is whether or not mice "think" like I do in the sense of what we think of as consciousness and awareness. See the concurrent thread that is addressing these topics.

Micheal
2015-Apr-03, 10:32 AM

For instance, Say we experience time at 1x. So in a world exactly the same as our world except they are larger by a scale of 100. so 1inch in the 100x scale world equals 100 inches in our normal 1x world.

Is there a ratio that describes the change in time perception as size increases?

This sounds little crazy, but I am curious....
My ultimate goal of posing this question is to figure out how long 13.4 billion years is to a being if each sun and planet is an atom (or quark) that makes up that being.

Thank you for reading,
Chris

I found a way to increase the Mass of a Hydrogen Atom to equal the Mass of the Sun and Jupiter. I just wanted to find out what the relative size of a Hydrogen Atom is to something I could relate to. When I did this I found the large Atom looked like this. The Proton was the same mass as the Su n. The Electron was very close to the mass of Jupiter. What really spiked my curiosity was the distance the Electron was from the Sun. The distance was close to the distance of the Moon from our Sun? I have read where other people have described a large Atom and the Electron is miles away from the Proton. So I investigated further. I found a way to increase the mass of the Atom to exactly equal the Gravitational Force and the Kinetic Energy. The only way I could do this is to keep the speed of light the same and therefore change TIME. I have a PDF file that I can only transfer by email. Ref...Berkley series on Physics, The Riddle of Gravity by Peter Bergmann, and Relativity Physics Books.

Micheal
2015-Apr-03, 11:34 AM
I found a way to increase the Mass of a Hydrogen Atom to equal the Mass of the Sun and Jupiter. I just wanted to find out what the relative size of a Hydrogen Atom is to something I could relate to. When I did this I found the large Atom looked like this. The Proton was the same mass as the Sun. The Electron was very close to the mass of Jupiter. What really spiked my curiosity was the distance the Electron was from the Sun. The distance was close to the distance of the Moon from our Sun. I have read where other people have described a large Atom and the Electron is miles away from the Proton. So I investigated further. I found a way to increase the mass of a Hydrogen Atom so the small Electromagnetic Force and the Kinetic Energy are exactly equal on the large scale. The mass of a sphere increases by the cube of the radius but the distance they are separated is linear. The only way I could do this is to keep the speed of light the same and therefore change TIME. I have a PDF file that I can only transfer by email. This PDF file explains how time would have to change with a change in size. For example, What do we mean by Size? If you wanted to change your size or should we say mass how would you imagine doing that? If you wanted to be smaller relative to your surrounding you could remove atoms from your body to make yourself smaller. But if you did this when you were as small as an atom your would not have enough parts to make you. This was a lot of fun. I used Ref...Berkley series on Physics, The Riddle of Gravity by Peter Bergmann, and Relativity Physics Books. Michael kn7dvr@comcast.net