PDA

View Full Version : I..am...tired.

Buttercup
2011-Oct-29, 06:26 PM
As in "dead dog" tired.

It's been 11 years since I had a vacation. I mean a REAL getaway. Otherwise have been out of state (150 miles) for the weekend, 3 times. With in-laws. Which isn't "a vacation" the way I need one.

Haven't seen my sister since 2004. Haven't visited my hometown since June 2000.

Am grateful for full-time employment with benefits in this terrible economy, but ... I am just TIRED.

Husband and I wanted to visit Oceanside, California in April; and then I got a cut in pay due to a new software program (different rate of pay). So we had to nix that plan.

I want to visit France. Want to see Cape May, New Jersey. And still go to California! But those plans are still out of reach. And meanwhile most everything else seems like "the regular old grind."

You?

Doodler
2011-Oct-29, 06:48 PM
I've managed to get a couple weekend escapes in before the end of summer (Colonial Williamsburg and New York City/Liberty Island), but I would love at least a week away somewhere.

Buttercup
2011-Oct-29, 06:58 PM
I've managed to get a couple weekend escapes in before the end of summer (Colonial Williamsburg and New York City/Liberty Island), but I would love at least a week away somewhere.

What makes my situation a bit more difficult are long-time friends of my husband's (an older retired couple) who have lots of loot, have been around the globe more than once. They are very nice, unassuming, humble people by the way; no preening or gloating. They worked for what they've got, but I must admit at this point it's getting a wee bit exasperating to know they're going to Hawaii for the week AGAIN. As in "the 3rd time this year." They have daughter and grandchild there.

Gee. I'd just like to get to Oceanside, Calif for a week.

I'm getting kinda tired of being happy for them. And then their daughter (my age) pipes up with, "They're entitled to it." (She's a bit slow and doesn't always realize the full import of what she says). Well so I am!! Entitlement has nothing to do with it...you ain't got the $$$, you're staying home.

BigDon
2011-Oct-29, 06:59 PM
Well, if you're asking...

I have the opposite problem.

I've been living on disability for three years now. I'd be hosed, but my kid brother shares the apartment with me. He's the one that's a contractor to NASA.

I'm so bored I made a terrarium to study pillbugs! (Learned a lot actually.)

Now my imaginary problems are almost outpacing my real ones.

jfribrg
2011-Oct-29, 07:03 PM
Its been a while since I've been on vacation too. In 2006 I took a 15 state tour of the midwest. It was a wonderful trip. I am looking forward to the day a few years from now when the kids are out of the house so I can sell it and move to some other part of the country. I want to live a nomadic life for a while. Find a consulting job with a 12 month term and move there. Then a year later, I would find another consulting assignment in yet another part of the country. If I can do that until I retire in the year 2030, that would be great.

BTW Buttercup, I like your list of places. I live 99 miles from Cape May. It is a very nice place especially if you happen to be a birdwatcher like me. Seems that there are plenty of birds that show up there which are not supposed to be found in this part of the country. Also, I was in Oceanside CA once in 1990. I was only passing through but I stopped in a McDonalds there. I remember the manager kicking some homeless guy out of the place. Why I remember that I have no idea, but it is my only memory of Oceanside. I'm sure if I had stayed for a few days, I would have other more interesting memories.

Buttercup
2011-Oct-29, 07:10 PM
BigDon, I hope your situation improves. I know it's not good of me to complain in some respects, considering...but then, lots of other people WERE traveling prior to the economy crashing (and meanwhile I've been still in the daily grind).

BTW Buttercup, I like your list of places. I live 99 miles from Cape May. It is a very nice place especially if you happen to be a birdwatcher like me. Seems that there are plenty of birds that show up there which are not supposed to be found in this part of the country.

I happened to come across a book about Cape May a few months ago. Included photos. I'm sure I'd heard of it before, but now I'm really interested in visiting. :)

I'd also love to visit Cardiff, Wales.

publiusr
2011-Oct-29, 07:15 PM
Going to websites like this one, and my dreams at night, are about all I enjoy thse days as for the rest it's

work eat sleep
work eat sleep
red yellow green
work eat sleep

TJMac
2011-Oct-30, 02:25 PM
Last July, I went to CA for a week. The trick was, that a good friend was house sitting, and I got to stay for free in a REALLY nice house. (We had permission from the owner, that I would be a 'guest' of the house-sitter.) We spent a lot of time on the beach, watching the surfers, dolphins, and just soaking up rays. Spent quite a bit of time hiking in some rather nice places. Did a little wine tasting.

That was my first real vacation since my spouses stroke about 16 years ago. She is quite handicapped, and is very reluctant to go out at all. Everyone I work with has been on at least one cruise, most of them have been on 2 or 3 since then. I would love to go, but going on a cruise solo seems like it just may be lacking something.

And, like the OP, finances always rears it's ugly head....

TJ

Inclusa
2011-Oct-31, 04:19 PM
Sometimes traveling and vacation make people rather tired; probably what we need to do is upgrading the bed and have better sleep.
(Being used to sleep on wooden boards and foam for nearly 20 years, any coil mattresses just mean discomfort.)

Githyanki
2011-Nov-01, 06:04 PM
in '09 I got sort of demoted at my job, so in May of '10 I decided enough was enough, I have the money so why not spend a few months living aboard, so I went to Buenos Aires, and traveled around Argentina for a few months. I got into a routine; I wasn't quite on vacation, as I spent most of my time learning the culture and Spanish, but I wasn't working as I had the money and I didn't need to. Boy, was I glad to get back to the US and working again. I was working within a week and a half from getting back to the US making nine an hour, which, when you can expect to make about $25USD a day in Buenos Aires, $9 is good money. And the cost of living is about the same except a bit higher due to car maintainance etc. I got a better paying job, but I still feel I can make more so I'm continuously looking for a better job.

Githyanki
2011-Nov-01, 06:17 PM
Well, if you're asking...

I have the opposite problem.

I've been living on disability for three years now. I'd be hosed, but my kid brother shares the apartment with me. He's the one that's a contractor to NASA.

I'm so bored I made a terrarium to study pillbugs! (Learned a lot actually.)

Now my imaginary problems are almost outpacing my real ones.

Can you walk / move? If you can, there's no reason why you can't get a part-time job doing something that won't interfere with your disability payments. One of my coworkers is on disability, but she works only 24 hours a week and accepts no more hours as they interfere with her payments.

ToSeek
2011-Nov-01, 06:39 PM
Sometimes traveling and vacation make people rather tired;

In my younger days, I took vacations that I felt as if I needed a vacation to recover from. I've learned to pace myself better since.

Tensor
2011-Nov-01, 10:36 PM
Can you walk / move? If you can, there's no reason why you can't get a part-time job doing something that won't interfere with your disability payments. One of my coworkers is on disability, but she works only 24 hours a week and accepts no more hours as they interfere with her payments.

If you're saying she's turning down hours or not working hours because she would lose money from her disability payments, then she's not disabled. Period. She's gaming the system. After the struggle I had and the comments I endured, hearing something like this really angers me.

Noclevername
2011-Nov-01, 10:42 PM
I'm on disability for reasons that have nothing to do with walking or moving. If I could work, I'd be working.

BigDon
2011-Nov-02, 12:05 AM
If you're saying she's turning down hours or not working hours because she would lose money from her disability payments, then she's not disabled. Period. She's gaming the system. After the struggle I had and the comments I endured, hearing something like this really angers me.

Easy Tens.

I know a lot of older people who work at pretty much the good grace of their employers for one reason or another. Both disabilty and social security payments can be impacted by hours worked. Even if it's what'
s known as a "boat race".

Githyanki
2011-Nov-02, 05:33 AM

Um, she's got cancer, the terminal-kind.

Mellow
2011-Nov-02, 09:23 AM
Buttercup, it was mentioned earlier, but you should consider the House sitting option....

http://www.mindmyhouse.com/
http://www.housecarers.com/

It would make your dollar go a bit further maybe?

Noclevername
2011-Nov-02, 09:47 AM
I've had insomnia since early childhood, and I'm now on meds that make me bone-deep tired all the time; and if I forget to take them I start to go into withdrawal which is not fun. I also have sleep apnea (I use a CPAP machine but it's not currently working and Medicaid won't pay for a replacement so I have to save up for out-of-pocket). I haven't felt well rested in years, even on vacation.

Buttercup
2011-Nov-02, 12:53 PM
Buttercup, it was mentioned earlier, but you should consider the House sitting option....

http://www.mindmyhouse.com/
http://www.housecarers.com/

It would make your dollar go a bit further maybe?

I apparently missed the previous reference/suggestion. Thank you, and especially for the links! I'll check them out. :D

Tensor
2011-Nov-03, 02:18 AM
Um, she's got cancer, the terminal-kind.

Thank you for the clarification, the difference between this post and your first is huge, and gives me information i didn't have from the first post. I'll remove my foot from my mouth. My apologies to your and her. And please send my condolences to her. She may want to talk to a disability lawyer. The hours worked laws may be different depending on where her illnesses is medically, than for an on going disability (at least it was in my mother's case). She may be able to work more hours than she thinks (although it may be an open question on whether she is able to).

Inclusa
2011-Nov-03, 03:28 AM
I've had insomnia since early childhood, and I'm now on meds that make me bone-deep tired all the time; and if I forget to take them I start to go into withdrawal which is not fun. I also have sleep apnea (I use a CPAP machine but it's not currently working and Medicaid won't pay for a replacement so I have to save up for out-of-pocket). I haven't felt well rested in years, even on vacation.

I don't know if the sleeping pose may help: Sleep on your left side; place your right hand under your ear (ear between the thumb and index finger); bent your right leg a little; the most important part: take a deep exhalation and count your exhalation (from 1 to 9) and repeat until you are asleep (do the counting silently, of course.)

(Hope this is clear enough.)

Githyanki
2011-Nov-03, 04:15 AM
Thank you for the clarification, the difference between this post and your first is huge, and gives me information i didn't have from the first post. I'll remove my foot from my mouth. My apologies to your and her. And please send my condolences to her. She may want to talk to a disability lawyer. The hours worked laws may be different depending on where her illnesses is medically, than for an on going disability (at least it was in my mother's case). She may be able to work more hours than she thinks (although it may be an open question on whether she is able to).

Understandable, but just don't jump the gun until you have clarifications. I asked her about her disability and she said her's was different than my potential, (work related tendonitis). And BTW, one of my friends is as you described. She was on disability for a work-related injury (I have no idea what it was), she got laid-off and accepted disability payments as they were higher. She's been "Disabled" for about a year now. I know there's nothing wrong with her.

Noclevername: if you have insomnia, then wine is the cure. In Buenos Aires, from six in the morning to 12 at midnight, there's a constant roar of traffic, people etc. Even when I closed my window, I could still hear everything; lo, when I drank wine, I was able to sleep through the whole night.

Tensor
2011-Nov-03, 05:06 AM
And BTW, one of my friends is as you described. She was on disability for a work-related injury (I have no idea what it was), she got laid-off and accepted disability payments as they were higher. She's been "Disabled" for about a year now. I know there's nothing wrong with her.

This is the kind of situation that causes reactions such as mine. No excuse, I should have either waited or asked for clarification. But you may understand the why, without (nor should you) condoning, my reaction.