PDA

View Full Version : Corpse talk

Inclusa
2011-Nov-06, 03:11 AM
Cremation and burials are still the mainstream, but body liquefaction is gaining popularity as well.
Another process is described here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14114555
I believe it is called promession.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promession

Proper treatments of human bodies may become huge issues because of aging population. Even with the popular cremation methods, space for human remains remind a huge issue (especially in land-tight areas such as Hong Kong.)

PraedSt
2011-Nov-06, 07:10 AM
If I don't get cremated my folks would kill me. :D

Nowhere Man
2011-Nov-06, 12:45 PM
Thermal depolimerization for me!

Fred

Noclevername
2011-Nov-06, 03:10 PM
I'm not planning to die, but if I do, cryo my brain and harvest my organs, cremate the rest and scatter my ashes over a pine forest (I want to smell nice when I'm gone).

Trebuchet
2011-Nov-07, 03:50 PM
I'd like to have my ashes scattered over Protection Island NWR (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protection_Island_(Washington)). I see it all the time but that's the only way I'm ever going to get there.

elizabeth25
2011-Nov-07, 04:17 PM
Im an organ donor, so once eveything that is wanted has been taken, i would like to be cremated,not sure what to do with the ashes though, couple of ideas...
1. hopefully by the time i go, i could have my ashes in a rocket and sent into space, that would be so cool.
2.or even in to a diamond, i know they can do that, make 2 diamonds, one each for my kids.
3. or find a beautiful place, where i can be scattered, hopefully my husband will join me.

Hal37214
2011-Nov-07, 04:54 PM
I've always liked the idea of being abandoned in the wilderness to be "recycled" by the wildlife.

Jim
2011-Nov-07, 05:46 PM
I've already told me wife that I want to be cremated and my ashes scattered. (One of my sons seems all too eager to comply.)

She's kinda against it. It's okay for me, but she prefers a mausoleum for her final resting place.

I got a big stir from her when I said she'd better hope I go first, 'cause otherwise I'm gonna arrange to have my ashes put in a brown paper bag, have her mausoleum opened, and she'll be clutching that bag for eternity.

PraedSt
2011-Nov-07, 06:06 PM
I've always liked the idea of being abandoned in the wilderness to be "recycled" by the wildlife.Zoroastrians do something like that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_Silence

Hal37214
2011-Nov-07, 06:23 PM
Zoroastrians do something like that.

I remember hearing a rumor a while back that this was starting to become problematic - apparently there just aren't enough carrion birds any more?

Ara Pacis
2011-Nov-07, 06:35 PM
I'm thinking I should be buried really deep, with lots of stone-age tools... and an iPhone, just mess with future anthropologists.

PraedSt
2011-Nov-07, 06:46 PM
I remember hearing a rumor a while back that this was starting to become problematic - apparently there just aren't enough carrion birds any more?In India yes. Most got poisoning after eating cows that had been treated with a certain painkiller. They're trying to restore the population but it's slow going by all accounts.

PraedSt
2011-Nov-07, 06:46 PM
I'm thinking I should be buried really deep, with lots of stone-age tools... and an iPhone, just mess with future anthropologists.But future anthropologists will find this post and then you'll be busted. :)

HenrikOlsen
2011-Nov-08, 08:35 AM
Zoroastrians do something like that.
It's a funerary practice also found in Tibet and other similar mountainous regions with rocky ground which prevents burial and not enough firewood for cremation.

Personally I expect to be cremated and put in the plot with the rest of the close family. It already has my paternal grandparents, my sister, one of my mother's sisters and one of my grandmother's sisters and there's room for me and both my parents.

Jim
2011-Nov-08, 01:15 PM
Elaine May and Mike Nichols were comic geniuses. They had a great skit about funerals. If you've never seen it - and especially if you have - enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0vSLIO7m20

starcanuck64
2011-Nov-08, 06:44 PM
After intensive study of the Force(I watched every epidode of Star Wars many times) I fully intend to simply fade away to a higher plane when I go...leaving my clothes to goodwill of course.

ravens_cry
2011-Nov-08, 08:33 PM
Goodwill has enough bathrobes, 'Ben'.:p
I plan to be buried on the moon, and to clone myself so someone who is not me, but could have been, will experience more of The Story.

starcanuck64
2011-Nov-08, 09:29 PM
I hear they're great at repairing lightsabre burns.:D

Nowhere Man
2011-Nov-09, 01:20 AM
I've always liked the idea of being abandoned in the wilderness to be "recycled" by the wildlife.
Next best thing would be to contact a body farm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_farm) and see if "arrangements" can be made.

(Should I be disturbed that the term "body farm" rose to the top of my memory so quickly?)

Fred

Jim
2011-Nov-09, 02:09 AM
(Should I be disturbed that the term "body farm" rose to the top of my memory so quickly?)

No... but the rest of us probably should.

swampyankee
2011-Nov-09, 02:52 AM
Recycle as many of the useful bits as they can (I'm an organ donor) or donate my body to science. I do not, however, want anybody anything like Meredith Grey or her coworkers (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0413573/) anywhere near me.

Cougar
2011-Nov-09, 03:12 AM

You should be asking, "Am I disturbed...."

Solfe
2011-Nov-09, 04:15 AM

No... but the rest of us probably should.

"Doctor, why I am taking these pills? I don't have anxiety, I cause it in others."

(Dang I wish I could remember where I heard that.)

ravens_cry
2011-Nov-09, 04:30 AM
Next best thing would be to contact a body farm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_farm) and see if "arrangements" can be made.

Fred
You know, I never found body farms that disturbing. I probably wouldn't want to visit one, but it is a service to the community by helping forensic scientists learn how to identify how a body *ahem* matures in different circumstances. It's another way to donate ones body to science and honestly is kind of cool.
The knowledge gleaned from your decomposing corpse could give a family peace of mind, jail a guilty party or free an innocent one.
That's pretty awesome when you think about it.
Now that Japanese forest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_forest) where people go to commit suicide, that <expletive redacted/> freaks me out.

ggremlin
2011-Nov-09, 08:27 AM
Interesting side question, "What does science do with the left-overs?"
Personally, I want cremation, but a funeral barge to the sun sounds like the coolest (or the hottest) way to go, after I'm gone of course.

starcanuck64
2011-Nov-09, 05:58 PM
"Soylent Green is people!"

In a world of dwindling resources and increasing population something like this isn't unthinkable.

ravens_cry
2011-Nov-10, 03:26 AM
"Soylent Green is people!"

In a world of dwindling resources and increasing population something like this isn't unthinkable.
It can't be nearly the only source though due to the ineffincies of the human metabolic process. Given how long it takes to raise a human to any kind of weight, I don't see it being very useful as a food source. You are probably better off turning the body into fertilizer and growing plants.

Noclevername
2011-Nov-10, 03:36 AM
You are probably better off turning the body into fertilizer and growing plants.

Soylent Brown is people!

elizabeth25
2011-Nov-10, 12:24 PM
I thought id google Soylent brown to see what it is, and this is what i found,

Mitsuyuki Ikeda, a researcher from the Okayama Laboratory, has developed steaks based on proteins from human excrement

The researchers then extracted those proteins, combined them with a reaction enhancer and put it in an exploder which created the artificial steak. The “meat” is 63% proteins, 25% carbohydrates, 3% lipids and 9% minerals. The researchers color the poop meat red with food coloring and enhance the flavor with soy protein. Initial tests have people saying it even tastes like beef.

Really??

that is disgusting, who would eat that, i think thats put me right of burgers.

soylent brown can be used as fertilizer too.

Noclevername
2011-Nov-10, 12:40 PM
I thought id google Soylent brown to see what it is, and this is what i found,

Yuck! And here I thought I made the name up, based off Soylent Green.

elizabeth25
2011-Nov-10, 04:28 PM
Noclevername You were right in saying soylent brown is people, it comes from people, but not in a nice way.

starcanuck64
2011-Nov-10, 06:18 PM
I apologize for taking the discussion down this road.

PraedSt
2011-Nov-10, 06:28 PM
The ecosystem recycles your poo and your urine. I have no problem with a lab doing the same thing :)

starcanuck64
2011-Nov-10, 06:32 PM
I don't care how good the marketing was, I doubt I'd ever eat soylent brown steaks.:)

Scriitor
2011-Nov-12, 10:12 AM
Cremation and burials are still the mainstream, but body liquefaction is gaining popularity as well.

If you're keen on turning into a human soup you can always take the traditional route and get buried in an airtight lead coffin, of the type archaeologists are sometimes unfortunate enough to uncover.

slang
2011-Nov-12, 10:21 AM
The ecosystem recycles your poo and your urine. I have no problem with a lab doing the same thing :)

Poor dog!

nosbig5
2011-Nov-14, 08:47 PM
Ha!

swampyankee
2011-Nov-19, 02:29 AM
I don't care how good the marketing was, I doubt I'd ever eat soylent brown steaks.:)

The simple marketing solution is to lie (at least by misdirection). Soylent brown is all-natural, completely organic, and has no trans-fats. I could also see fast food chains adopting it if it saves them a few cents per hundred burgers.

May even make them ask people to use their restrooms. :nausea:

elizabeth25
2011-Nov-19, 06:47 AM
The simple marketing solution is to lie (at least by misdirection). Soylent brown is all-natural, completely organic, and has no trans-fats. I could also see fast food chains adopting it if it saves them a few cents per hundred burgers.

May even make them ask people to use their restrooms. :nausea:

:sick::sick: oh dear, thats made me feel unwell now, :sick::sick:

thanks swampyankee :p

Inclusa
2011-Nov-20, 06:56 AM
Perhaps total disintegration is the future way to go.
With the growing regeneration medicines, there may not be needs for organ donors (perhaps NOT in the near future, but sooner or later.)
Creating "steaks" from human waste?! Sorry, the very idea turns people off; of course we can talk about growing meat with a few cells (without slaughtering.)

closetgeek
2011-Nov-21, 01:29 AM
Elaine May and Mike Nichols were comic geniuses. They had a great skit about funerals. If you've never seen it - and especially if you have - enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0vSLIO7m20

That was funny! The scary thing is funeral homes haven't changed their tactics, at all.

Since I can't be an organ donor, I would like to donate my whole body as a cadaver for medical students. I just have no idea how to do that and if missing a few parts makes me unqualified for that, as well. Either way I would like to leave little to no cost or fuss for my kids.

Tinaa
2011-Nov-21, 01:54 AM
I would like to leave my body for medical study. I have a rare disease and perhaps it could help others. If that's not possible, I'd like my body to go to a body farm. I am a registered organ donor but I am probably not able to donate since my diagnosis.

Jim
2011-Nov-21, 02:18 AM
... I could also see fast food chains adopting it ...

I'm sure it's just coincidence, but... The McRib is back!

Inclusa
2011-Nov-21, 02:56 AM
McRib? Does it contain bones or just the meat between bones.

Noclevername
2011-Nov-21, 03:03 AM
McRib? Does it contain bones or just the meat between bones.

It's basically spam with barbecue sauce.

Inclusa
2011-Dec-14, 08:43 AM
It's basically spam with barbecue sauce.

McRib sounds like a marketing name. We often consider "ribs" to be the premium meats, at least for mammals: lamb ribs, prime ribs, pock ribs, etc.