PDA

View Full Version : Solar Crisis:over 270 sunspots?

Prince
2002-May-10, 05:08 PM
http://urbansurvival.com/week.htm

ToSeek
2002-May-10, 05:34 PM
If you look at the charts on the NASA site, we should be in the range of 150 to 175. But today (5/5) we are at 271 - and every time I have checked recently, I've been seeing 200+ numbers. Very strange - and of strategic importance to investors.

Somehow my investments wouldn't be the first thing I'd consider if I thought something were up with the Sun.

Apparently, the sunspot numbers are unusually high, though: todays' number is 244 (http://www.spaceweather.com/), while the usual high is more like 200 (http://www.sunspotcycle.com/), and we're not even at the peak of the cycle any more - that was two years ago.

Hale_Bopp
2002-May-10, 07:31 PM
Yes, this cycle has been an odd one. We seem to have had two peaks in activitiy and maybe we will have a third before it really goes down. Unusual? Yes, for the relatively short time we have good records.

Nature is not always nice and predictable and orderly. That doesn't mean anything unusual is going on. If you look at the Earth as a whole, you can almost always find a few weather extremes going on at some place on the planet, so anecdotal evidence doesn't hold much clout with me. Remember, weather is a chaotic system. Caause and effect are very difficult to tie together.

Rob

beskeptical
2002-May-11, 03:03 AM
I've been checking the Sun's activity almost daily for at least a year. The number of spots only jumped up recently, like a week or two, (unless my memory is completely dead, which is possible). Solar activity, though, didn't go sky high with the spot numbers. It seems more like a lot of smaller spots, and certainly not great flare activity. We've only had 1 or 2 M1s in the last two weeks. There was a CME on the far side after a bigger spot rotated out of view, but still not anything extraordinary.

2002-May-12, 10:47 AM
<a name="20020512.2:41"> page 20020512.2:41 aka The Sky's falling
On 2002-05-10 23:03, beskeptical wrote:
I've been checking the Sun's activity almost daily for at least a year. The number of spots only jumped up recently, like a week or two, (unless my memory is completely dead, which is possible). Solar activity, though, didn't go sky high with the spot numbers. It seems more like a lot of smaller spots, and certainly not great flare activity. We've only had 1 or 2 M1s in the last two weeks. There was a CME on the far side after a bigger spot rotated out of view, but still not anything extraordinary.
[/quote]
2:42 A.M. HUb' Well? I consider Cycle 23 over
and would rather believe that its just more
Political Popp-Cock rather than anything
actually happening: HOWEVER: When this thread
arives at the fifth page I will recheck
"this thread",, that is IF i still can! Boo.. # 20020512 & # JD2452407 also!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUb' on 2002-05-12 06:50 ]</font>

beskeptical
2002-May-15, 05:58 AM
Sunspot number is back to the mid-hundreds today, still no big flare activity. I don't think the total number is significant without other measurements.