PDA

View Full Version : Bright Green Fireball

Mr Q
2011-Nov-07, 02:21 AM
About 6 weeks ago, while I was living in north central NM, I was tossing and turning in my sleep and at one point I was awake with my eyes closed and saw a bright green light through my eyelids. I opened my eyes and found the bedroom brightly lit with a green light. Looking at the window, I caught a few seconds of a very bright green fireball traveling to the NNE horizon. Though I've seen many fireballs in my life, none were as spectacular as this one. Its 'body' was very bright green (lighter at the center) with a darker green towards the outsides. The trail was about the size of my 4 fingers side by side at arm's length and the head of it was the size of my thumb nail at arm's length. I never saw such a 'large' fireball and was wondering if anyone saw it over the SW U.S at 2:55 AM. I listened to radio and TV and heard nothing about it in the next few days. It was bright enough to light up the room and penetrate my closed eyelids. Was I the only one who saw it???:confused: Mr Q

Jeff Root
2011-Nov-07, 11:04 AM
Six weeks ago would be circa September 25.

The following link should take you to a very long page at the
American Meteor Society listing reports from this year. I don't
see any major reports from the region of northern New Mexico
in the second half of September or early October. The brightness
of your object would make it a major bolide. Note that although
they apparently tried to put reports of the same meteor together
in the same group, many are clearly in groups where they don't
belong. Also, below the September 2011 reports, I see many
dates which inexplcably say "2010" and are mixed in with the
2011 reports.

Click on the report ID in the FIRST column for full details of
that individual report. The links in the last column, which say
"Show more", are NOT useful.

http://www.amsmeteors.org/fireball2/public.php?start_date=2010-01-01&end_date=2011-12-31&state=&event_id=&submit=Find+Reports

I wonder if northern NM and southern CO are so sparsely
populated that nobody from that region reported it.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

trinitree88
2011-Nov-07, 07:20 PM
About 6 weeks ago, while I was living in north central NM, I was tossing and turning in my sleep and at one point I was awake with my eyes closed and saw a bright green light through my eyelids. I opened my eyes and found the bedroom brightly lit with a green light. Looking at the window, I caught a few seconds of a very bright green fireball traveling to the NNE horizon. Though I've seen many fireballs in my life, none were as spectacular as this one. Its 'body' was very bright green (lighter at the center) with a darker green towards the outsides. The trail was about the size of my 4 fingers side by side at arm's length and the head of it was the size of my thumb nail at arm's length. I never saw such a 'large' fireball and was wondering if anyone saw it over the SW U.S at 2:55 AM. I listened to radio and TV and heard nothing about it in the next few days. It was bright enough to light up the room and penetrate my closed eyelids. Was I the only one who saw it???:confused: Mr Q

Mr. Q. When my son was small. ~ 4, I sat out one night watching for Perseids in August in a fairly dark neighborhood. Unexpectedly, a very bright bolide appeared for ~ 10 seconds, illuminating the sky bright enough to easily read a book comfortably by. It was yellowish-white, hissing and crackling, and exploded into fragments, but without an enormous bang, and they all left distinct smoke trails which disappeared in a few minutes. Never saw another in thousands of peeks at the sky. None of my neighbors noticed anything. No reports appeared in the media, or the local astronomy clubs. When he remarked" Are we going to see a lot like that?...I laughed. I don't think so. It's been thirty-two years. Enjoy your sighting. pete

Mr Q
2011-Nov-07, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the info Jeff. I'll check it out.

And Pete - I've seen many fireballs and bolides since I was a kid (now 64) but never saw anything as spectacular as this one. This observation ties with the Perseid meteor storm a decade or so ago - the sky was ablaze with dozens of bright yellow and white meteors with long trails at any instant of time and the peak lasted almost an hour. Sometimes we have to be patient for many years before being treated to such awesome sights. :dance:

Wishing you both many clear, dark nights to come. Mr Q