PDA

View Full Version : The Real Terra Nova Expedition---Robert Falconer Scott

John Jaksich
2011-Nov-07, 06:23 PM
It saddens me when powers that may be greater than most plebbians such as myself are able to misuse mass media in the name of greed (and make a big fool of many). The present TV season has a show which has been discussed in the forum but (I am unaware if Scott is even mentioned) the name has been shamelessly ripped off from an early 20th century expedition to the South Pole.

The New York Times has posted "lost images" taken by Commander Scott during their trek to the South Pole. For some reason---the images laid undisturbed for generations in an archive.

A "book" has also appeared that tells the tale of the expedition (it also purportedly has more of the images from the Antarctica.)

The Terra Nova was the name of Commander Scott's vessel.

John Jaksich
2011-Nov-07, 06:36 PM
By the way the book seems to have been published in October of this year.

Title:

The Lost Photographs of Captain Scott: Unseen Images from the Legendary Antarctic Expedition [Hardcover]

The author is David M. Wilson

ISBN:

978-0316178501

The reviews paint the book as mediocre---

traceur
2011-Nov-09, 07:08 AM
there was also an MMO called terra nova that released a few years ago (i'm pretty sure it got canceled)....

i am pretty sure its just an ancient Latin phrase that happens to have a nice ring and inspires awesome fantasize when explained on a conceptual level...

so its probably has being and is going to be the name of a lot of things.

Noclevername
2011-Nov-09, 07:12 AM
IIRC It's what the Romans called any unexplored land. Later it was adopted by the colonizing powers during the Renaissance.

KaiYeves
2011-Nov-10, 01:56 AM
His name was Robert Falcon Scott, not Falconer.

But he was indisputably awesome.

John Jaksich
2011-Nov-10, 10:27 AM
His name was Robert Falcon Scott, not Falconer.

But he was indisputably awesome.

Thanks for correcting me.

KaiYeves