PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Invitation

Buttercup
2011-Nov-09, 02:38 PM
My sister (Iowa) is going to pick up an elderly aunt (Peoria, Illinois) and drive her to east Texas, to surprise our mother and aunt's daughter (Debbie) for Thanksgiving. Mom's previous plans were for Thanksgiving Dinner with Debbie and her family. Mother, at this point, only knows my sister and nephew are coming, so notified Debbie, who says she cannot accommodate 2 extra people (my nephew is very obese and has "issues" -- which is probably why Debbie "can't" accommodate).

But now Debbie's mother (my aunt) will be arriving too. Will they "magically" be able to accommodate 3 extra people?

My sister is grousing about this. She's also fuming about driving down with elderly aunt (although it was her idea), when others are allegedly quite wealthy enough to fly aunt (their mother and grandmother) down.

On top of this, my nephew has -- besides the Thanksgiving feast he's going to help devour -- put in special requests with grandma (my mother) for koomla, chicken & homemade noodles, etc. :doh: :rolleyes: Grandma will be happy to cook all that EXTRA food for him, "because he doesn't get those dishes at home." :lol: As if he needs them on top of heaps of mashed potatoes, wedges of pumpkin pie... :hand:

Well, I'm so glad we CANNOT make it to east Texas to share in "the fun." In a tiny cramped apartment.

Husband and I will make do quite nicely in our quiet home on Thanksgiving Day. Alone. Just us and a fabulous little feast.

Noclevername
2011-Nov-09, 03:00 PM
What's koomla?

Buttercup
2011-Nov-09, 03:10 PM
What's koomla?

Potato & onion dumplings (2 parts potato to 1 part onion finely ground together, then mixed with flour to bind) cooked in ham broth. Best served with a bit of butter, salt & pepper. :)

Those dumplings are a lot of work.

The Backroad Astronomer
2011-Nov-09, 04:47 PM
Family can't choose them, can't shot them.

Noclevername
2011-Nov-09, 04:49 PM
Not with my bad aim, anyway.

Buttercup
2011-Nov-09, 04:55 PM
Family can't choose them, can't shot them.

Yeah. :(

Considering my sister already has a bad attitude in all this, she should just stay home. She offered to drive our elderly aunt to Texas; why then complain that aunt's daughter (whose long-time boyfriend is rather wealthy) won't purchase an airline ticket for her?

And my nephew...who I love...who doesn't need homemade noodles and koomla and whatever else Grandma will cook for him (besides a big Thanksgiving meal).

I have a hunch they'll all wind up at the home of Debbie's daughter. Which will include strangers (cousin's in-laws), dogs, little kids running around, a stuffy cramped house, and all those other things my sister JUST LOVES (not). :lol:

And she invited us to come over? Guess misery loves company. :hand:

Home sweet home. It's where I'm staying!

Fazor
2011-Nov-09, 05:02 PM
We usually get pulled to 3 or 4 different family dinners on the same day, with the people at each one acting insulted if you don't eat a heaping 12lb plate of food (because, you know, the other three dinners they know you're having aren't as important as *theirs*)

This year, me and Tara bluntly told the family that we are not going to their places for dinner. We've been together for seven years and never had a holiday to ourselves, so that is what we're doing.

Currently, I'm contemplating a cranberry soda glaze for a small turkey breast. Haven't thought about the rest of the fix'ns yet.

Buttercup
2011-Nov-09, 05:22 PM
We usually get pulled to 3 or 4 different family dinners on the same day, with the people at each one acting insulted if you don't eat a heaping 12lb plate of food (because, you know, the other three dinners they know you're having aren't as important as *theirs*)

:o Ohhhhh...what a dilemma. :(

This year, me and Tara bluntly told the family that we are not going to their places for dinner. We've been together for seven years and never had a holiday to ourselves, so that is what we're doing.

We've grown accustomed to it (husband's family are not emotionally close), and it has definite charms of its own. I like to putter around in the kitchen on that day.

Currently, I'm contemplating a cranberry soda glaze for a small turkey breast. Haven't thought about the rest of the fix'ns yet.

:) Despite being vegetarian, I might buy a small turkey to slow-bake overnight. Love awakening to the mingled scents of turkey and the seasonings it's baking in. Husband has a hearty appetite anyway; that bird will be quickly demolished. Have my side dishes and desserts already planned. :D

HenrikOlsen
2011-Nov-09, 06:23 PM
Thanksgiving:
The time to see the family and give thanks for how far you live from them the rest of the year.

Disclaimer: the previous statement is the result of carefully reading multiple statements made by multiple Americans about multiple thanksgivings and extracting the essence.

PraedSt
2011-Nov-09, 06:57 PM
Couldn't imagine spending the hols without my family. Sure they're annoying at times, but I imagine I'm the same to them.

grapes
2011-Nov-09, 07:12 PM
Thanksgiving:
The time to see the family and give thanks for how far you live from them the rest of the year.

Disclaimer: the previous statement is the result of carefully reading multiple statements made by multiple Americans about multiple thanksgivings and extracting the essence.Like All In The Family, and other shows, I think we borrowed it from the Mother Country. What's it called there, I forget? I'm not necessarily asking you, Henrik.

Buttercup
2011-Nov-09, 07:47 PM
PraedSt: Normally I'd agree. And I do love and miss my family otherwise. But in THAT setting? My aunt, mother, sister, and cousin are all "Queen Bees" in the worst sense of that term. The four of them together is a true "too many hens in the hen-house."

Which I am very sorry to say. My father and I could never keep the peace between them.

I wouldn't mind seeing them individually. :)

PraedSt
2011-Nov-09, 08:41 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing them individually. :)
Yep, same here. During family gatherings I tend to keep to myself, or talk to one or two people at a time. But I do enjoy the organized chaos in the background. Wouldn't be the same without it.

p.s Hens in the hen-house? I thought it was testosterone fueled roosters. Hens are supposed to get along!

Noclevername
2011-Nov-09, 08:46 PM
Bees and hens? No wonder they have so many problems!

Githyanki
2011-Nov-09, 09:03 PM
Me: I have Thanksgiving with them(my family) and then I leave to hung out with friends.
Coworker: You're allowed to leave?

Buttercup
2011-Nov-09, 09:40 PM
Bees and hens? No wonder they have so many problems!

Not to mention 2 of them are religious fanatics. :) You know, the sort who will INSIST on saying a prayer prior to the meal. And injecting their beliefs into the conversation at some point.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Nov-09, 10:52 PM
Like All In The Family, and other shows, I think we borrowed it from the Mother Country. What's it called there, I forget? I'm not necessarily asking you, Henrik.
I think we use Christmas for that. :)

Trebuchet
2011-Nov-10, 01:58 AM
For years we celebrated twice: Thanksgiving day with my family, and the following Saturday at our house for hers. Same thing for Christmas, sort of: Christmas Eve at our house for her family, Christmas Day with my parents at their house.

My parents are gone now; last year we just had the three of us (Self, Wife, and her mom) for Thanksgiving. Her mom, a very sweet lady, has been living with us for close to five years. She's in the hospital now, expected to pass away within the next two or three days. I'm not enthused about doing Thanksgiving at all.

We've been looking after ailing parents for more than 10 years now. We haven't been away for a vacation since 2003. Last week, after a long night at the hospital I find myself thinking "I want my life back." Well, it looks like I'm getting my wish. Be careful what you wish for.

Sorry for raining on everyone's parade.

Trebuchet
2011-Nov-10, 04:56 PM
I want to apologize for the last post, and especially to Buttercup for hijacking the thread. It had been another long and emotional day but I really shouldn't have inflicted my troubles on everyone else. Hope you all have a great Turkey Day. Unless you're Canadian, in which case I hope you had one!

Buttercup
2011-Nov-10, 05:09 PM
I want to apologize for the last post, and especially to Buttercup for hijacking the thread. It had been another long and emotional day but I really shouldn't have inflicted my troubles on everyone else. Hope you all have a great Turkey Day. Unless you're Canadian, in which case I hope you had one!

No need to apologize! :)

We all have times when we need to express ourselves.

nosbig5
2011-Nov-10, 08:24 PM
When our kids were younger, our thanksgiving was always lunch at one set of parents' house, supper at the others.

Now that the boys are older (oldest in high school - good grief!) we've devolved into alternating years, with a visit on the weekend to the losing (or winning, depending on your perspective) parental units.

We reclaimed christmas ~5 years ago. It's at our house, and it's just us. We have never regretted that decision.

PraedSt
2011-Nov-10, 08:31 PM
My parents are gone now; last year we just had the three of us (Self, Wife, and her mom) for Thanksgiving. Her mom, a very sweet lady, has been living with us for close to five years. She's in the hospital now, expected to pass away within the next two or three days. I'm not enthused about doing Thanksgiving at all.Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. Hope your wife's ok.

jfribrg
2011-Nov-10, 08:45 PM
I used to enjoy Thanksgiving. I would cook a decent sized turkey and have a decent number of relatives over. After all of these years, almost all of these relatives are now dead. The only one left is my father who lives with me, so there is nothing special about having dinner with him. On top of that, none of my kids like turkey. Last year we had a couple of friends of the family come over for a small turkey dinner. It was the first enjoyable thanksgiving dinner for me in years.

Trebuchet
2011-Nov-10, 11:45 PM
No need to apologize! :)

We all have times when we need to express ourselves.

Thanks Buttercup. I appreciate that.

Nick Theodorakis
2011-Nov-11, 12:08 PM
From the thread title I thought you were inviting BAUT to your place for Thanksgiving!

This will be our first post-divorce Thanksgiving.

Nick

Buttercup
2011-Nov-11, 02:38 PM
From the thread title I thought you were inviting BAUT to your place for Thanksgiving!

This will be our first post-divorce Thanksgiving.

Nick

Oh my poor little kitchen!! And the living room would be so crowded! ;) We do have a sizeable yard (especially back) though. And our 2 spare bedrooms could be converted into dining spaces. :p

Tobin Dax
2011-Nov-12, 03:37 AM

Do what my parents decided to do 20 years ago: go out to eat. Make reservations at a nice restaurant for lunch or dinner, and make as much of a day of it as you want. We had lunch out, then went to see a movie as a family, then stopped by relatives' places later in the day if at all. (The last part was probably mostly for us kids and only when we lived in the same town.)

I'll probably do something similar this year, since I really want to see the new Muppet movie. I'm not sure what I'll do about dinner if I'm not invited over by anyone. I'm considering finding a nice restaurant in Nashville and getting out of town for a day.

Swift
2011-Nov-12, 03:38 AM
For years we celebrated twice: Thanksgiving day with my family, and the following Saturday at our house for hers. Same thing for Christmas, sort of: Christmas Eve at our house for her family, Christmas Day with my parents at their house.

My parents are gone now; last year we just had the three of us (Self, Wife, and her mom) for Thanksgiving. Her mom, a very sweet lady, has been living with us for close to five years. She's in the hospital now, expected to pass away within the next two or three days. I'm not enthused about doing Thanksgiving at all.

We've been looking after ailing parents for more than 10 years now. We haven't been away for a vacation since 2003. Last week, after a long night at the hospital I find myself thinking "I want my life back." Well, it looks like I'm getting my wish. Be careful what you wish for.

Sorry for raining on everyone's parade.
Trebuchet, I wish you and your wife peace and strength and the thanks for all the lives you shared and what you gave to them.

Trebuchet
2011-Nov-12, 09:27 PM
Trebuchet, I wish you and your wife peace and strength and the thanks for all the lives you shared and what you gave to them.

Thanks so much for that. She passed away very peacefully this morning. She had a good long life and was doing very well until just the past two months. We had just had her 87th Birthday party two weeks ago and she had a great time and got to see all but one of her brothers and sister. I'm so glad we were able to do that.

PraedSt
2011-Nov-12, 09:49 PM
My condolences Trebuchet. I recently lost an uncle who was over 90. It sucks.

swampyankee
2011-Nov-13, 12:00 AM
Thanksgiving:

Disclaimer: the previous statement is the result of carefully reading multiple statements made by multiple Americans about multiple thanksgivings and extracting the essence.

We tend to have relatives -- even immediate family -- we don't see very often, and drift apart from. We also tend to whine about them a lot ;)

Buttercup
2011-Nov-13, 12:05 AM
I'm sorry for your loss, Trebuchet.

As for dining out ... nope. Like to have leftovers to snack on. And spending a couple of hours cooking, and making related preparations. ;)

The only down-side are doing the dishes. :p

Trebuchet
2011-Nov-13, 04:52 PM
I certainly agree on the leftovers! They're the best thing about Thanksgiving dinner.

Buttercup
2011-Nov-18, 07:21 PM
The title of my thread has become a nice irony: We have been invited to Thanksgiving Dinner with friends! :) They have a lovely home. We've been dinner guests many times, including Thanksgiving 2010. Food is always delicious and homemade.

I'll be taking cole slaw with mandarin oranges, and a vanilla coconut-pecan cake. :D

And I'm also going to plan on a little backup menu of our own, just in case the unforeseen happens and our friends have to cancel dinner (which actually happened Easter 2010).

Flat Handle
2011-Nov-19, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the invitation, how do I get there?