PDA

View Full Version : There is no turning back

aliensdidit
2011-Nov-10, 05:26 PM
http://www.thereisnoturningback.com/

http://www.facebook.com/thereisnoturningback#!/thereisnoturningback?sk=wall

This website has been doing the rounds recently bu stating that something big will be revealed to us tommorrow, and that there is no turning back when the story starts.

More information about it can be read on this news article

http://mashable.com/2011/11/04/no-turning-back-matrix-inspired-mystery-site/

Mystery site with no explanaition claiming to reveal something - advetising of some kind?

Space Chimp
2011-Nov-10, 06:08 PM
There is no going forward either, as I am not interested in a trio of blind links.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Nov-10, 06:12 PM
See There is no turning back (http://www.plognark.com/?q=node/1129) for the real info.

Mod note: The linked page contains language offensive to or unsuitable for some BAUT members/visitors.

tusenfem
2011-Nov-10, 06:18 PM
Yawn!
Everything is scary I guess.
Get off the internet!

Rhaedas
2011-Nov-10, 06:32 PM
It's true that as far as we understand it, time travel to the past is not possible.

Paul Beardsley
2011-Nov-10, 06:44 PM
Shouldn't this be in the Fun And Games section?

starcanuck64
2011-Nov-10, 06:48 PM
See There is no turning back (http://www.plognark.com/?q=node/1129) for the real info.

Thanks for this.

When you get down to it, and no matter how fervently people wish to deny it, we're all just angry, horny apes with oversized brains

LaurelHS
2011-Nov-10, 08:18 PM
Mystery site with no explanaition claiming to reveal something - advetising of some kind?
Yes, this type of thing is usually advertising. It wouldn't be the first time an enigmatic ad scared people, see below.
http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/archive/permalink/the_sibuxiang_beast/

Paul Beardsley
2011-Nov-10, 08:27 PM
This website has been doing the rounds recently bu stating that something big will be revealed to us tommorrow, and that there is no turning back when the story starts.

Ooh! I've just noticed this bit! (I normally read everything in aliensdididit's threads except for aliensdididit's posts and links.)

Yes, after tomorrow, none of us will ever get to see 11/11/11 11:11.11 again.

Day after tomorrow, nobody will remember the world-changing event.

NEOWatcher
2011-Nov-10, 08:47 PM
Almost none. There might be some preteens here that may live well into the hundreds.

For some reason I can't get the scene out of my head where Bender dreams in binary and says "ones and zeroes <?> and I think I saw a two".
11/11/2011 11:11:11

Stubby Boardman
2011-Nov-10, 08:57 PM
Next year we'll get a 12/12/12.

But there'll never be a 13/13/13, unless we get around to adopting Smarch.

Van Rijn
2011-Nov-10, 09:27 PM
Ooh! I've just noticed this bit! (I normally read everything in aliensdididit's threads except for aliensdididit's posts and links.)

Just set your clock and you can! If it's on a programable device, just program it so it always shows the same time! Or just draw it on a piece of paper that looks a little like a clock! Every second of every day can be 11/11/11 11:11:11!!! Sure, it defeats the purpose of having a clock, but what is that compared to the incredible importance of numerology?!? And it would be life changing, with everything always happening at 11/11/11 11:11:11!

And why stop there???? Why not have more ones? Why can't it be 1111/1111/1111 1111:1111:1111?!?1?!?!? THAT WILL mAKE it EVEN MORE IMPORTANT!! The possibilities are ENDLESS!!!!1111!!!!

Rhaedas
2011-Nov-10, 10:41 PM
Can't be as meaningful as June 6, 2006.

closetgeek
2011-Nov-10, 11:48 PM

Silly, there can't be a 13/13/13 because the calendar ends in 2012. :D

Noclevername
2011-Nov-11, 01:49 AM
Oh noes! I turned back! Now what will happen??

P.S., there can be a 13/13/13 on a lunar calendar.

KaiYeves
2011-Nov-11, 02:14 AM

It's going to be weird not having "matching" days after next year! There's been one every year except 2000 since I was six.

Whatever will I look forward to to spice up my boring life?

Noclevername
2011-Nov-11, 02:42 AM
Isn't there supposed to be a movie coming out on 11/11/11? I'll bet all my Monopoly money that that's it.

Luckmeister
2011-Nov-11, 02:48 AM
It's going to be weird not having "matching" days after next year! There's been one every year except 2000 since I was six.

The next doomsday prediction. I'm sure aliensdidit will keep us informed. :p

KaiYeves
2011-Nov-11, 12:35 PM
The next doomsday prediction. I'm sure aliensdidit will keep us informed. :p
I don't find those amusing, I find them annoying. I'm just sad I won't get that little thrill from writing the date on a school assignmentcand getting to see the same number 3 times. It always gives me a little smile.

Strange
2011-Nov-11, 01:16 PM
something big will be revealed to us tommorrow

Well, that was even duller than I expected.

AndreH
2011-Nov-11, 01:42 PM

Wait until 2/2/22 22:22

Space Chimp
2011-Nov-11, 01:48 PM
It's funny. I remember living through the date 7/7/77. All those lucky numbers. Other than a small blurb in the paper I didn't see a thing about it.

Oh yeah. We didn't have the internet in it's full froth and glory then. :D

AndreH
2011-Nov-11, 01:56 PM
It's funny. I remember living through the date 7/7/77. All those lucky numbers. Other than a small blurb in the paper I didn't see a thing about it.

Sigh.....wasn't live so much easier then? The bliss of ignorance......

Stubby Boardman
2011-Nov-11, 01:57 PM

Huh, good point. I was 18 then. I remember a lot of things from 1977 better than I remember what happened last year, and I don't even remember a small blurb in the paper.

I love the Internet, but it sure has led to a wider dispersion of the crazy.

AndreH
2011-Nov-11, 02:11 PM
Huh, good point. I was 18 then. I remember a lot of things from 1977 better than I remember what happened last year, and I don't even remember a small blurb in the paper.

I love the Internet, but it sure has led to a wider dispersion of the crazy.

I agree, the good thing in the net is you have a choice to ignore certain things. Whereas if you aren't blind and deaf even the reputed media spill all kind information over you you don't need and especially don't want to know.

Over here the papers (in 1977) were full of "Standesamt* needs to work overhours", and "all places were marriage parties could be hold are fully booked". Maybe that is only because my dad happened to have birthday on 7/7/33 and was making fun of all those people running to get their marriage scheduled on that day.

*Standesamt: The place in the local commuity administration were you get your marriage certificate.

NEOWatcher
2011-Nov-11, 02:58 PM

And we only had 30 minute news programs where they actually worked on presenting news rather than try to fill time and make it entertaining.
Now we have 24 hour news stations, and local stations that turn the news into a whole morning show.

Noclevername
2011-Nov-11, 06:05 PM
I don't find those amusing, I find them annoying. I'm just sad I won't get that little thrill from writing the date on a school assignmentcand getting to see the same number 3 times. It always gives me a little smile.

In a couple of years you'll be writing 11/12/13/ :)

Hal37214
2011-Nov-11, 06:21 PM

And in the US, we'll get to do it a month (minus a day) earlier than most of the world!

Gillianren
2011-Nov-11, 06:42 PM
And we only had 30 minute news programs where they actually worked on presenting news rather than try to fill time and make it entertaining.
Now we have 24 hour news stations, and local stations that turn the news into a whole morning show.

The Today Show first aired in 1952. When I was a child in the '80s, admittedly after CNN debuted, my mother turned on the local news at four in the afternoon and watched it, plus half an hour of national news, until seven. And there were always stupid human interest stories.

grapes
2011-Nov-11, 07:13 PM
This website has been doing the rounds recently bu stating that something big will be revealed to us tommorrow, and that there is no turning back when the story starts.Anything yet? Anyone?

mike alexander
2011-Nov-11, 07:26 PM
I think Lee Iacocca announced the cab-forward design, saying, "This changes EVERYTHING."

NEOWatcher
2011-Nov-11, 07:33 PM
The Today Show first aired in 1952. When I was a child in the '80s, admittedly after CNN debuted, my mother turned on the local news at four in the afternoon and watched it, plus half an hour of national news, until seven. And there were always stupid human interest stories.
Yes; it was around the CNN debut that they all started to blur the lines between news and entertainment.
I'm not sure what the Today show had in the early days, but we had something similar on the local level on a few channels.
We had one called "the Morning Exchange" and another called "PM Magazine" with all that human interest stuff. But; they did make a clear distinction between that and the regular news. It's just that the lines are blurred more now.

Gillianren
2011-Nov-11, 07:46 PM
The Today Show, which is network, has always blurred the lines. They did some news, but they also had a chimp as a co-anchor.

KaiYeves
2011-Nov-11, 07:48 PM
Wait until 2/2/22 22:22
That's not "truly" matching, but it's definitely something to look forward to. Wow, I'll be *does math* ...29! That's exciting! I can't even imagine where I'll be!

Oooh, and I can look forward to that, too!

I love you guys.

Van Rijn
2011-Nov-11, 07:52 PM
Anything yet? Anyone?

I bumped my toe. Lightly. That must be it.

Strange
2011-Nov-11, 07:54 PM
Anything yet? Anyone?

It is some useless piece of "web 2.0" software. Not even a proper release, an announcement of an alpha test program.

LaurelHS
2011-Nov-11, 08:54 PM
Anything yet? Anyone?
My hometown got its first snow of the season (although it was just a few flurries), does that count?

Paul Beardsley
2011-Nov-11, 08:56 PM
Anything yet? Anyone?

A day in which nothing remarkable happened? Which is, of course, remarkable in its own right! Do you know how rare that is? Look, here are some links to the last time we had a non-remarkable day!

287 links removed

pumpkinpie
2011-Nov-11, 09:31 PM
I bit.

This is a new beginning. StormDriver is now entering the alpha testing stage.

StormDriver is a web app that provides a single interactive overlay for the whole Web without the need to install anything. For the first time ever, social interaction is not restricted to the walled garden of a social network. In StormDriver you can instantly see who else is on the same website as you, where people came from and where they are going.

http://www.thereisnoturningback.com/Home/Start

Paul Beardsley
2011-Nov-11, 09:41 PM
Doesn't this suggest the first post in this thread was actual spam, then?

redshifter
2011-Nov-11, 11:24 PM
Anything yet? Anyone?

Every Friday the cafeteria at work does an omlette/egg scramble which I enjoy. Today however, there was no cheddar cheese for my omelette, only swiss. Must be because of the date....and, I was in the cafeteria at 11:11:11 on 11/11/11...that's gotta be it.

Donnie B.
2011-Nov-11, 11:55 PM
Kai -- even sooner, there's 10/11/12.

Papelbon may be signing with the Phillies... that could be big. No turning back.

Stubby Boardman
2011-Nov-12, 12:45 AM

Papelbon may be signing with the Phillies... that could be big. No turning back.

And word is, Posada is leaving the Yankees.

That's it, we're through the looking glass, people.

Noclevername
2011-Nov-12, 12:54 AM
We've still got a few hours left before the Magic Time ends.

Githyanki
2011-Nov-12, 12:59 AM
There's no turning back! Because it's illegal!

LaurelHS
2011-Nov-12, 02:46 AM
There's no turning back! Because it's illegal!
But I'm a pedestrian, so that doesn't apply to me, so I could turn back! Ha!

Swift
2011-Nov-12, 03:32 AM
Originally Posted by aliensdidit
Anything yet? Anyone?
I bet it is this:

...I have an announcement to make. As of approximately 4:48 this afternoon, yours truly is officially engaged to be married. You may now resume your regularly scheduled awesomeness.

Noclevername
2011-Nov-12, 05:17 AM
Well, That Day is over, and the world will never be the same.

closetgeek
2011-Nov-13, 12:29 AM
I bet it is this:

Awe! On Nigel Tufnel day, even...

Nowhere Man
2011-Nov-14, 12:29 AM
[thereisnoturningback url]

[facebook thereisnoturningback url]

Well, what do they have to say now?

More information about it can be read on this news article

[mashable no-turning-back-matrix-inspired-mystery-site url]

No doubt. Do you have any more of such stuff? If so...

Fred

HenrikOlsen
2011-Nov-14, 12:56 AM
It's an advert for a software product that went alpha on that day.

Basically, aliensdidit got pwned, badly.

AndreH
2011-Nov-14, 04:29 PM

:eek: Just noticed I have missed 9/10/11

Strange
2011-Nov-14, 04:42 PM
:eek: Just noticed I have missed 9/10/11

That's a shame. It was really good. Everything changed.