PDA

View Full Version : One smart squirrel

Jim
2011-Nov-14, 01:10 PM
As preface, let me explain that I take my black Lab to the local dog park every Saturday and Sunday, weather permitting. I have developed the opinion that what goes on at dog park is a metaphor for Life in general. With that in mind...

Last Sunday, among other goings on, I noticed that three dogs - a German shepherd, a chocolate Lab, and another dog (can't recall the breed) - at trapped a squirrel in a tree. The nearest other tree was too far away for it to leap between branches. The dogs sat at the base of the tree, in rapt attention, as the squirrel looked down from above, twitching its tail. After a few minutes, the chocolate Lab evidently decided he was bored and wandered off.

This left two dogs, on opposite sides of the tree, staring up at the squirrel in complete concentration. The squirrel inched down the trunk above one of the dogs, tail twitching enticingly. It then moved around the trunk and did the same "dance" above the other dog. The squirrel inched closer.

Someone noticed this and made a comment that the squirrel was crazy. One of those dogs was going to get it.

The squirrel continued his circling. One side of the tree over one dog, then the other side over the other dog. Finally, it made its move.

With the dogs locked on where the squirrel had been, it darted down the trunk, between the two dogs, and scampered across the ground.

The dogs reacted, belatedly, and gave chase. Other dogs joined in (including mine, who was disinterested until now). But, the squirrel had gained enough of a head start that it made the next tree and scurried up the trunk, safely ahead of the dogs. Two of whom (guess which ones) took up a vigil at the base of the new tree.

About that time, the chocolate Lab came trotting back, looking around as if to say, "What did I miss? What did I miss?"

korjik
2011-Nov-14, 03:56 PM
And your ATM is?

:D

Stubby Boardman
2011-Nov-14, 04:20 PM
I believe the accepted mainstream position is that squirrels are invisible to dogs.

Jim has fearlessly subverted this paradigm, with a bold claim that squirrels actually exist within a dog's zone of perception ("ZOP" as it's often referred to in the literature).

Jim
2011-Nov-14, 05:45 PM
I was gonna say the thread somehow got into the wrong forum, but I like that "fearlessly subverted ... bold claim" bit.

Anyway, I moved it.

NEOWatcher
2011-Nov-15, 06:29 PM
Ironically this sounds a little bit like Frazz from the day before (http://www.gocomics.com/frazz/2011/11/13).

Jim
2011-Nov-16, 12:54 PM
You can still see the low spots around the crape myrtle made by our Brittany where she circled the tree as the birds and squirrels toyed with her.