PDA

View Full Version : Unidentified celestial body?

MasterI
2011-Nov-20, 01:43 AM
Hello everybody, on the 19th of November about 7 20 pm (in Indonesia Bali, by local time) i noticed very bright and big celestial body which has disappeared in about 40 minutes, never seen like this before. Help me to recognize what it could be please, thank you.

Peter B
2011-Nov-20, 01:55 AM
Hello MasterI, and welcome to the BAUT Forum.

Can I ask in which direction you were facing, please?

My first thought is that you've photographed Jupiter. Jupiter rises in the east around sunset, and is very bright at the moment. I can't tell you why it disappeared, but would Bali be cloudy at the moment? I notice there appear to be clouds on the right hand side of the picture.

By the way, it's a lovely picture.

Nowhere Man
2011-Nov-20, 01:55 AM
A good start is to visit www.heavens-above.com. Give it your location, and the date and time, and it will show you what's in the sky right then. Odds are it's Jupiter. Get some binoculars and see if you can see the Galilean moons

Fred

MasterI
2011-Nov-20, 02:02 AM
i was facing west, but the point is that it disappeared immediately, and didnt appear anymore.

Centaur
2011-Nov-20, 02:17 AM
Hello everybody, on the 19th of November about 7 20 pm (in Indonesia Bali, by local time) i noticed very bright and big celestial body which has disappeared in about 40 minutes, never seen like this before. Help me to recognize what it could be please, thank you.

Welcome to the discussion group, MasterI.

You say it was big. How big? A Full Moon is 0.5 wide. Did it appear bigger than that? In which direction were you facing? Was the object moving quickly, or simply at the same speed that all celestial objects appear to move due to the rotation of the Earth? If the object was quite bright but not really big, and you were facing west-southwest shortly after sunset, then it was Venus. The brightness of the sky near the horizon indicates that the Sun had recently set in that vicinity. In that case you were facing west-southwest. It appears to me that your photo is of Venus with Mercury beneath it. Check out my Venus webpage for confirmation: www.CurtRenz.com/venus

Centaur
2011-Nov-20, 02:19 AM
i was facing west, but the point is that it disappeared immediately, and didnt appear anymore.

If it disappeared immediately, it was probably covered by a cloud. I'm still betting it was Venus.

tony873004
2011-Nov-20, 04:34 AM
Looks like Curt is right, it's Venus with Mercury below it. Here's your picture with a Stellarium screenshot from Bali at 7:20pm superimposed.
http://orbitsimulator.com/BA/venusMercury.GIF

Peter B
2011-Nov-20, 04:49 AM
Nice piece of work, tony873004.

I was definitely wrong...!

Nowhere Man
2011-Nov-20, 05:36 AM
:clap: That's what I get for guessing.

This question comes up all the time, and the answer is inevitably either Venus or Jupiter. Far more often it's Venus, probably because it's only visible near sunrise or sunset, when people are more likely to be outside.

Since it's Venus, get some binoculars and see if you can tell what phase it's in.

Fred

Jeff Root
2011-Nov-20, 09:51 AM
I was really lucky in coming up with Venus and Mercury almost
immediately. I'm still using a very old program that I've had for
many years, but I haven't learned how to set it for an arbitrary
latitude and longitude. The built-in list of locations doesn't
include Bali, so I had to settle for Djakarta. I moved along the
horizon, saw Venus and Mercury in the right orientation in the
south-southwest, and saw that the stars in the upper part of
Scorpius match beautifully.

So, Bali is a real place, huh? :)