PDA

View Full Version : Weight loss

canopuss
2011-Nov-27, 02:40 AM
I have lost 16 kg in 11 weeks, this is what I have done.

Weekdays Breakfast – Cereal (lowest in salt and sugar that I can find) and milk (somtimes low fat).
Weekend Breakfast – Egg and broccoli
Weekdays lunch – Tin fish and sweet-yogurt ( or sometimes Strawberry and yoghurt).
Weekdays and weekend dinner – Tomato, cucumber and meat
Weekends lunch - Tomato, spinach and meat

In between the meals or after a meal when I am hungry at any time until I am full I eat one or more of the following:
Celery, Grapefruit, Apple, Pear, Brussels sprouts, Broccoli, Mandarin (Tangerine ?), Blueberries, Strawberries, Cherry & Peanuts.

Once in a while I still eat small amount of chocolate biscuits, cake, processed-meat etc but not as many as I used to eat.

Exercise per day – 15 mins stationary-bike-speed 16 km/h, 20 mins moderate-speed walking.

This what I don’t do:
No mango, grapes, banana, potato or pumpkin. No eating out.

Interesting after I have started eating more of fruits and vegetables I don’t get the craving for sweets-items, oil-cooked food, junkfood etc.

Hope this helps.

I need to loose another 9 kg to be in the healthy weight, any advice is welcome.

kevin1981
2011-Nov-27, 10:55 PM
Well done in losing that weight, hope you can keep it up. I need to start eating healthier and sticking with it. But at the moment it is
not the right time, as if i am going to do it, i want to stick with it.

canopuss
2011-Nov-28, 12:11 AM
...... hope you can keep it up. I need to start eating healthier and sticking with it......

Well, that is one of the reason I don't go to Gym as I may not be able to keep it up.
Also I don't go hungry as I may not be able to keep it up. Each time I am hungry I eat lowe sugar fruits and raw vegies.

IsaacKuo
2011-Nov-28, 04:32 PM
At first blush, your diet sounds relatively lacking in variety, although the variety of snacks is good.

But the proof is in the pudding. Since you're able to live with this diet on the long term, the level of variety is sufficient!

My only question is portion control. You don't mention portions, but clearly you are limiting portions on the main meals since you refer to eating the "snack" options to fill you up if necessary after a meal. I infer that you are limiting the portion on the cereal, egg, and meat. This is a good thing.

In my own weight loss journey, I started off controlling portions on everything--but that probably wasn't really necessary. About halfway through, I let myself eat and snack on non-starchy uncooked vegetables and fruits, while still restricting portions on high calorie foods.

At some point, you could let yourself eat out every once in a while. It takes practice and discipline to moderate portions when eating out, but it's possible. It's a skill like any other. You'll only learn it after you try it. I found that eating out would set me back about a week's worth of weight loss, on average, at first. Then, I found that I could eat out maybe once a week and still lose weight.

Now that I have reached my goal weight, I can eat out pretty regularly, and even eat as much as I like every once in a while. It takes about a week to make up for it, but it's worth it.

canopuss
2011-Nov-29, 06:01 AM
Thanks IsaacKuo.

Question for all :

1) There are number of weight based on height calculators on the Internet - on this my target weight is approximately 88kg-90kg.

2) There are a few weight based on height & frame calculators - on this one my target weight is approx 93kg-94kg. In here I checked by wrist circumference and decided my frame to be large.

Which one should I be following ?

IsaacKuo
2011-Nov-29, 10:15 AM
A target weight calculator is only going to give you a ballpark figure anyway. Good enough for averages and statistical studies, but your individual ideal will depend on more than just a few simple numbers could encompass. If you keep on losing weight, then at some point you're going to lose muscle mass and strength rather than body fat. That's what happened to me when I dropped below 140lbs (64kg). So that's when I decided my target weight range would be 140lbs - 145lbs.

The thing is, I still have a bit of a belly and I could really use more muscle mass if only I could somehow build it up. I figure that if I could maintain my current level of musculature--which is quite scrawny--my ideal weight would probably be closer to 130lbs or 135lbs. I figure that if I could build up my musculature, then my ideal weight would be perhaps 150lbs to 155lbs. (I'm not talking about a body builder physique, I mean just enough to look healthy.)

So, it's not so simple as just a target number.

canopuss
2011-Nov-29, 11:09 PM
Thanks.

closetgeek
2011-Dec-03, 09:29 PM
I have lost 16 kg in 11 weeks, this is what I have done.

Weekdays Breakfast – Cereal (lowest in salt and sugar that I can find) and milk (somtimes low fat).
Weekend Breakfast – Egg and broccoli
Weekdays lunch – Tin fish and sweet-yogurt ( or sometimes Strawberry and yoghurt).
Weekdays and weekend dinner – Tomato, cucumber and meat
Weekends lunch - Tomato, spinach and meat

In between the meals or after a meal when I am hungry at any time until I am full I eat one or more of the following:
Celery, Grapefruit, Apple, Pear, Brussels sprouts, Broccoli, Mandarin (Tangerine ?), Blueberries, Strawberries, Cherry & Peanuts.

Once in a while I still eat small amount of chocolate biscuits, cake, processed-meat etc but not as many as I used to eat.

Exercise per day – 15 mins stationary-bike-speed 16 km/h, 20 mins moderate-speed walking.

This what I don’t do:
No mango, grapes, banana, potato or pumpkin. No eating out.

Interesting after I have started eating more of fruits and vegetables I don’t get the craving for sweets-items, oil-cooked food, junkfood etc.

Hope this helps.

I need to loose another 9 kg to be in the healthy weight, any advice is welcome.

It really doesn't sound like you need much advice. If after 11 weeks, you haven't burned out, actually developed a palate for your diet, and you are actually making good progress, keep up the good work. The only thing I would add, based on what I've learned is, depending on your age (generally over 30's), you might want to add some resistance training.

DoggerDan
2011-Dec-07, 10:24 PM

About ten years ago, when my bulge started hanging over my belt, I started cycling. I found that long, steady distances didn't do all that much, while varying my cycling, even with shorter distances, worked a whole lot better. Thus, I'll be pedaling for a few minutes, then give it all I've got for thirty seconds (anaerobic) before backing off until I catch my breath. Had to do that in Florida, as there weren't any hills! Every since I moved to Colorado this summer, I've found plenty of hills!

I've since learned this sort of training is called "interval." Read more (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interval_training). Now that it's colder, I've been hitting the elliptical at the gym, and I do this with a heart monitor, varying the resistance from that which will allow my heart to remain around 130 bpm to that which would ramp it past my maximum, if I let it. I don't, and reduce the resistance as it reaches 150 bpm.

My resting heart rate used to hover around 80, but since I started training this way, it's dropped to about 65.

Obviously, eating the right foods helps! You don't want to starve, though, as that can negatively affect your metabolism. 10 lbs a month is what my doctor recommended back then.