PDA

View Full Version : Dark matter lost in hyperspace?

PhantomWolf
2004-Jul-18, 07:00 AM
I was washing some dishes and came up with an idea for a Cosmology. No idea if it would actually work, but it sounded good to me. ;)

What if our Universe is really two planes of existence, sort of like oil and water?

Okay, let me try and explain it in understandable terms. ;)

There are two layers to our Universe that overlap each other. The lower layer is what we can call a hyperspace, and when first coming into existence was filled with protomatter. The second layer is the space we know and love and originally had no matter.

So, if we then add a way of the protomatter "leaking" from hyperspace to real space, just like globs of oil melting and floating up to settle onto water. Perhaps an area of great vacuum or gravity could cause these leaks to occur. In the first few years of the universe's expansion, these globs of protomatter would have boiled from the hyperspace to form swirling areas of matter, quickly creating stars and galaxies. Then as the protomatter waned in its amounts, these leaks would have slowed down, almost stopping meaning that there would be a period of low new galaxy counts as the protomatter started drawing itself into new globs that would be big enough to break through into real space again.

Because this protomatter could only interact with our layer through gravity before it breaks though, it would undetectable to us and would be "dark matter." Now days this dark protomatter would be leaking into real space in certain areas, round Black Holes, or in stellar birth chambers, going into the nucleus of new stars.

Jerry
2004-Jul-20, 05:45 PM
I was washing some dishes...
I like this idea! It makes a great theme for a SF book, it creates portals: If the center of our galaxy is where hyperspace is pouring through, we could find a nearby crease and end up at M-83 in no time flat!

Any theory plunking into new dimensions, including string theory, is a provisional violation of the Cosmological Principle. Nice tool, but only if we can tie it to some physical handle. Aside from that, and the danger inherant in running into a pot scrubber, I'm ready for the voyage!

Gullible Jones
2004-Jul-20, 06:02 PM
I agree with Jerry - it would be a pretty good theme for a sci-fi story. Of course, if you're putting it forward as an actual explanation for DM, it will need some evidence... ;)

soupdragon2
2004-Jul-20, 06:19 PM
I agree with Jerry - it would be a pretty good theme for a sci-fi story. Of course, if you're putting it forward as an actual explanation for DM, it will need some evidence... ;)
I've heard similar theories, but the oil and water is a good analogy.