PDA

View Full Version : Telescope Review: Orion SkyQuest XT8 Classic Dobsonian Reflector

Fraser
2011-Nov-28, 04:50 PM
Orion SkyQuest XT8 Classic Dobsonian Telescope, (MSRP $349.99) Orion Telescopes. For many astronomers who are just getting started, dobsonian reflector telescopes are a popular choice. While many newcomers to Astronomy seek out computerized “go-to” telescopes, some prefer the “no-frills” setup a dobsonian telescope offers. The Orion XT8 dobsonian is a mid-range reflector telescope. There are [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/91221/telescope-review-orion-skyquest-xt8-classic-dobsonian-reflector/)

redshifter
2011-Nov-28, 06:47 PM
This was the first scope I've owned, and I've since upgraded to the XT 10. Both great scopes and highly recommended. The XT8 would be great as a 'first scope'. I agree about the 'red dot' finder. I don't know if it has changed over the years, but when I bought one in 2001, it was utterly useless. A Telrad is far superior. There are quite a few simple modifications you can perform on the XT scopes that enhance their usability, though they are fine out of the box.