PDA

View Full Version : Don't Feed the Troll

SciFi Chick
2004-Jul-19, 12:51 PM
I know you're going to be tempted to, but just don't give in. A friendly public service announcement. :D

Ut
2004-Jul-19, 12:52 PM
*yawn*
So, how about that local sports team?

SciFi Chick
2004-Jul-19, 12:55 PM
*yawn*

Funny, you should mention a yawn and sports in the same breath, since sports generally illicits a yawn from me. :lol:

HellRaiser!
2004-Jul-19, 12:56 PM
YEA, BECAUSE THE MORE YOU SPOILD, RICH WEALTHY COLLEGE GEEKS "DONT FEED" ME..(((THE TOUGHER I GET!!))) :evil: *SPITS A BEER IN YOUR FACE LITTLE RICH DADDY'S GIRL!!!!

Ut
2004-Jul-19, 01:01 PM
*yawn*

Funny, you should mention a yawn and sports in the same breath, since sports generally illicits a yawn from me. :lol:

I get a good kick out of a few innings of baseball, and playoff hockey. The rest of it's just wasted space, though.

kucharek
2004-Jul-19, 01:07 PM
One of the most boring movies I've ever seen. Just saw it by accident, as the movie before was also boring and until I managed to get out of my seat in the cinema, they already started the next one.

Harald

Moose
2004-Jul-19, 01:07 PM
I'm thinking of doing an astronomy trip in a couple of weeks. There are some dark skies to be had up my way, in some valleys down the local river (http://www.chrs.ca/Rivers/UpperResti/UpperResti-F_e.htm). Tricky to get to em though (although a canoe motor certainly helps. :) ). Even trickier to schedule time from work that coincides with clear weather.

Anybody (with a decent scope) care to join me?

Ut
2004-Jul-19, 01:10 PM
That reminds me. I have to head out to my uncle's cottage sometime soon, and bring my friend's scope with me. My current plan is to stare upwards as long as possible, hopefully burning the Milky Way into my retnas...

SciFi Chick
2004-Jul-19, 01:12 PM
Speaking of astronomy, I'm starting my first observational astronomy class on September 1. I'm very excited. :D

Ut
2004-Jul-19, 01:14 PM
Way to go! I'm hoping that at least one of the courses I picked out for this year coming will involve observations.

The funny thing is going to be, though, that I'm taking an intro level astro elective (because I've learned jack about the Solar System over the past 3 years, and figure I could stand to have another class I can cruise through while writing my thesis). This class does tours of the telescope on campus. I GIVE tours of the telescope on campus... Hrmm...

Swift
2004-Jul-19, 01:14 PM
Speaking of astronomy, I'm starting my first observational astronomy class on September 1. I'm very excited. :D
That is very cool 8) . You will have to keep us up to date.

kucharek
2004-Jul-19, 01:15 PM
Speaking of astronomy, ...

A rare subject on this board... :D

BTW, is it "on this board" or "at this board"?

StarStuff
2004-Jul-19, 01:22 PM
I say "on this board".... How about everyone else?

SciFiChick, that course sound fabulous. Enjoy it! :D

I usually don't spend too much time watching sports either, but come Olympic time, I know I'll find myself glued to the TV....

Ut
2004-Jul-19, 01:26 PM
I also say "on this board".

I love how this thread is completely directionless.

You know, I need to vacuum.

milli360
2004-Jul-19, 01:28 PM
SciFi Chick:
Funny, you should mention a yawn and sports in the same breath, since sports generally illicits a yawn from me.
Is that a troll? :)

Ut
2004-Jul-19, 01:31 PM
I see the BA's up and around. Good morning, Phil.

Did anyone else get a HAL moment out of this?

Good morning, Dave...

Actually, where did it go?
My brain hurts. No more waking up at 8am for me.

ToSeek
2004-Jul-19, 01:32 PM

Good morning, Dave...

The post was there and then it wasn't, if that's what you mean. I don't think the BA is online yet - not surprising considering it's around 6.30 in the morning in California.

SciFi Chick
2004-Jul-19, 01:33 PM
The funny thing is going to be, though, that I'm taking an intro level astro elective (because I've learned jack about the Solar System over the past 3 years, and figure I could stand to have another class I can cruise through while writing my thesis). This class does tours of the telescope on campus. I GIVE tours of the telescope on campus... Hrmm...

You'll just have to do a comparison of the two then won't you? 8)

ToSeek
2004-Jul-19, 01:35 PM
SciFi Chick:
Funny, you should mention a yawn and sports in the same breath, since sports generally illicits a yawn from me.

If it were a troll like our current one, it would be more like:

SPORTS IS FOR LUSERS WITH NO BRAINS!!! I COULD BEAT YOU GUYS AT ANY SPORT WITH ONE HAND TIED BEHIND MY BACK!!

SciFi Chick
2004-Jul-19, 01:36 PM
SciFi Chick:

If it were a troll like our current one, it would be more like:

SPORTS IS FOR LUSERS WITH NO BRAINS!!! I COULD BEAT YOU GUYS AT ANY SPORT WITH ONE HAND TIED BEHIND MY BACK!!

HANDZ? I DONT NEED NO STINKIN HANDXS11!1!!

kucharek
2004-Jul-19, 01:38 PM

Good morning, Dave...

I guess the BA's first job of today will be some lobotomy on parts of the board's brain.
"My SPAM is going, Phil, I can feel it! I can feel it! There's no doubt about it!
Thank you, Phil!"

8)

Moose
2004-Jul-19, 02:14 PM

Good morning, Dave...

The post was there and then it wasn't, if that's what you mean. I don't think the BA is online yet - not surprising considering it's around 6.30 in the morning in California.

Agh, the post was up for fifteen seconds. Just long enough for me to notice that those posts were falling off the page and hadn't actually been removed yet like I'd originally thought.

So yes, Good morning, Phil, when you (eventually) get yourself out of bed, anyway....

*sigh* *chuckle*

Good morning all.

Parrothead
2004-Jul-19, 02:15 PM
I say "on this board", "at this board" does not sound right at all.

SciFi Chick: Enjoy the observational astronomy course! All I ever took was an introductory course to astronomy. The prof. I had for the course was great, with a weird sense of humour (made 9am classes enjoyable). We were all encouraged to visit the university's two scopes (60 and 40 cm diameter), on viewing nights set aside for students. Although I didn't major in astronomy or any sciences, close to 20 years later, it is that prof. I mostly remember from my university days.

kucharek
2004-Jul-19, 02:18 PM

Good morning, Dave...

Agh, the post was up for fifteen seconds. Just long enough for me to notice that those posts were falling off the page and hadn't actually been removed yet like I'd originally thought.

So yes, Good morning, Phil, when you (eventually) get yourself out of bed, anyway....

*sigh* *chuckle*

Good morning all.
Anyone has his phone number? I've no problem giving him an alarm start when it's 6.30 am PST 8)

Harald

Moose
2004-Jul-19, 02:21 PM
Anyone has his phone number? I've no problem giving him an alarm start when it's 6.30 am PST 8)

It's rarely a good idea to wake someone with banning power. Let sleeping admins lie.

Spacewriter
2004-Jul-19, 02:21 PM
You know, I WAS having trouble sleeping last night and now I know why. Somebody came stomping through like a two-year-old with a wet diaper, yelling and screaming. OH well. Happens every once in a while. I rolled over and went back to sleep. Perhaps if we just ignore the tantrums they'll go away.

Now, as for the observational astronomy: I'm in envy. We here in the NE are having a Nor'easter -- in rain form. Been raining all night, will do so this morning. It's like a rain forest out in our yard. So, I doubt I'll be doing any astronomy tonight. Maybe tomorrow... it's been a while since I saw the night sky what with all the clouds and rain.

Captain Kidd
2004-Jul-19, 02:22 PM

Good morning, Dave...

*sigh* *chuckle*

Good morning all.

HaraldBah, mine goes off at 5AM Eastern, I'm on the road at 6, walking into work at 6:30. So, yea, let's wake 'em.

Tensor
2004-Jul-19, 02:29 PM
Bah, mine goes off at 5AM Eastern, I'm on the road at 6, walking into work at 6:30. So, yea, let's wake 'em.

The problem there is, he may decide to call you just before he goes to bed, say somewhere around 1AM to 3 AM EST.

Spacewriter
2004-Jul-19, 02:32 PM
Bah, mine goes off at 5AM Eastern, I'm on the road at 6, walking into work at 6:30. So, yea, let's wake 'em.

The problem there is, he may decide to call you just before he goes to bed, say somewhere around 1AM to 3 AM EST.

that's why answering machines were invented.

[-( =D> :P

Tensor
2004-Jul-19, 02:40 PM

Heheheh, I suppose so, but in that case, Phil could use one to offset any call to him before he gets up.

mid
2004-Jul-19, 03:00 PM
One of the most boring movies I've ever seen.

Really? I think its a classic of 80's horror; the way it goes straight for the terror working wonderfully in the context of all the silly comedy horror films (Elm Street, Friday 13th etc.) released around the same time. Barker's use of metaphor is wonderful.

Unfortunately, he became less and less involved with the sequels, and they turned into everything they were a reaction against. Oh well.

xbck1
2004-Jul-19, 03:00 PM
I know (or at least know how to get) Phil's phone number, address, place of work (not hard :D ), and other interesting things. Y'see, there's this website that...

I actually do know how to. In fact, I have the page up right now with his phone number and address on it. I could be a stalker! Muahhahahahhhahaaaahahhahhahaaaa!

'Course, if I called him I'd risk him having Caller ID. Then he'd probably get back at me by calling collect and posing as some scientist or something. Sheesh!

Argos
2004-Jul-19, 03:09 PM
After years, the difference between at this, on this, still intrigues me. :roll:

ToSeek
2004-Jul-19, 03:12 PM
After years, the difference between at this, on this, still intrigues me. :roll:

You are easily amused. ;)

Laser Jock
2004-Jul-19, 03:15 PM
I see the BA is now browsing this forum.

Things should clear up shortly.

StarStuff
2004-Jul-19, 03:16 PM
All done. Thanks, BA! =D>

Argos
2004-Jul-19, 03:16 PM
It took less than three minutes...

Laser Jock
2004-Jul-19, 03:21 PM

Almost. This (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=15109) thread is still here. Did the BA intentionally leave it?

Captain Kidd
2004-Jul-19, 03:25 PM

Heheheh, I suppose so, but in that case, Phil could use one to offset any call to him before he gets up.

I'm usually awake at 1am anyways either changing a diaper or making sure I'm sticking the bottle in the right end of a hungry infant.
Otherwise, that's what the "ringer off" option is for. ;)

Edit: Amazing what 1 letter wrong can do to a word and sentence.

Captain Kidd
2004-Jul-19, 03:27 PM

Almost. This (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=15109) thread is still here. Did the BA intentionally leave it?

Where'd that link go anyways? I'm at work and was afraid to check.

SciFi Chick
2004-Jul-19, 03:30 PM

Where'd that link go anyways? I'm at work and was afraid to check.

Some sort of message board devoted to mayhem. The language was such that I quickly grew bored and chose not to look at any of the actual threads.

Argos
2004-Jul-19, 03:34 PM
This thread is still here. Did the BA intentionally leave it?

BA and his unfathomable designs

Spacewriter
2004-Jul-19, 03:53 PM
This thread is still here. Did the BA intentionally leave it?

BA and his unfathomable designs

Wise are the ways of the great and mighty BA! All hail the BA. or was that "Aw hell the BA..."

;)

beskeptical
2004-Jul-20, 04:54 PM
Could someone explain to me the pieces of this thread I can't put together? :-?

I get the troll guy. Was the topic bait? And if it was how did it relate to the on or at question?

Perhaps I'm too literal. :P

SciFi Chick
2004-Jul-20, 05:05 PM
Could someone explain to me the pieces of this thread I can't put together? :-?

I get the troll guy. Was the topic bait? And if it was how did it relate to the on or at question?

Perhaps I'm too literal. :P

The topic was to stop everyone from answering his posts, which were numerous. Inevitably, people have trouble resisting, so I put up the warning as a reminder.

As we chatted, the subject of on or at came up, and on a whim, I decided to make it into a poll.

I hope that clears up the chronology for you. And, yes, you are definitely too literal. :wink:

beskeptical
2004-Jul-21, 08:58 AM
Thankyou, dear.http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/3/happy04.gif