PDA

View Full Version : If you had 20 seconds, what would you say to your 15 year old self?

captain swoop
2011-Nov-30, 12:51 PM
These are the numbers for the 100 Million Rollover on the Euro Lottery

and

Forget Christine H*****, she isn't interested but Jane P**** wants to go out with you!

AndreH
2011-Nov-30, 01:17 PM
"Go ahead and ask her, stupid!"

HenrikOlsen
2011-Nov-30, 01:29 PM
I only need 2: "Beer Bad."

The Backroad Astronomer
2011-Nov-30, 01:50 PM
Skip UNB go striaght to St. Mary's.

LookingSkyward
2011-Nov-30, 01:53 PM
Study more math

The Backroad Astronomer
2011-Nov-30, 01:55 PM
Another one would be don't study in places where people tend to socialize.

MAPNUT
2011-Nov-30, 02:01 PM
When you get to college, think long and hard about what courses you sign up for and what will be useful in a practical career. In your sophomore year, be sure to take . . . Bzzzzzt! . . .Dang.

Doodler
2011-Nov-30, 02:15 PM
Go ahead and kill the SOB. The needle ride to Hell will be worth it.

Swift
2011-Nov-30, 02:17 PM

and

Forget Christine H*****, she isn't interested but Jane P**** wants to go out with you!
Great minds think alike. :lol:

I was thinking: "there is going to be this company called Apple, buy some stock" and "go ahead, ask Debbie Brown on a date"

Buttercup
2011-Nov-30, 02:20 PM
"You're more astute than you realize, and totally correct about certain people around you. Also, take the Legal Secretary course after you've finished Medical Secretary; it's only another 1 year."

Perikles
2011-Nov-30, 02:21 PM
When you get to college, think long and hard about what courses you sign up for and forget what will be useful in a practical career. Choose what inspires you. Are you listening? Turn that #$%@# music off!

jfribrg
2011-Nov-30, 02:42 PM
If you want any girls to go out with you, you need to cut your hair (or at least comb it once in a while). Also, all that stuff they are teaching you in religion class is pure superstition. BTW, you have a great life ahead of you. You're gonna enjoy it.

SeanF
2011-Nov-30, 04:30 PM
For anyone thinking about actually doing this, here (http://basicinstructions.net/basic-instructions/2010/12/30/how-to-travel-back-in-time-to-deliver-a-dire-warning-to-your.html) is some helpful advice, courtesy of Scott Meyer.

kevin1981
2011-Nov-30, 04:39 PM
Don't drink or take substances, go to collage and study computers, get a job in the computer
industry and invent a website called facebook !

The Backroad Astronomer
2011-Nov-30, 04:44 PM
42, always carry a towel

jfribrg
2011-Nov-30, 05:19 PM
For anyone thinking about actually doing this, here (http://basicinstructions.net/basic-instructions/2010/12/30/how-to-travel-back-in-time-to-deliver-a-dire-warning-to-your.html) is some helpful advice, courtesy of Scott Meyer.

And Here (http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/paisley-brad/letter-to-me-22298.html) is how Brad Paisley did it.

Trebuchet
2011-Nov-30, 05:29 PM
"Tension Sheet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tension_sheet)"

Paul Beardsley
2011-Nov-30, 06:24 PM
Learn to speak more quickly - then you might be able to tell your past self something useful!

redshifter
2011-Nov-30, 06:54 PM
1) Save 10 grand, invest in Microsoft stock the minute it goes public in a few years, sell it all Dec 1999.

2) Girls LIKE dancing...so if you want to meet lots of girls...

Gillianren
2011-Nov-30, 07:18 PM
You know, I wouldn't. The point is to change your life for the better, but any of the changes I might like to have made would mean that I wouldn't be living the life I'm now living. Telling myself about my daughter's father would eliminate a real twit from my life--but it would eliminate her as well. Any changes that would have me get through college faster (I took six years) or end up with more money would mean that I wouldn't end up in Olympia or working for the company where I met Graham. I'm not perfectly happy in my life, but I think perfect happiness is a faulty concept, and there are things in my life I wouldn't trade. Maybe I'd take a page from Dan Savage's book and assure myself that it gets better, but that's about it.

Buttercup
2011-Nov-30, 07:32 PM
Maybe I'd take a page from Dan Savage's book and assure myself that it gets better, but that's about it.

I'm still hoping it gets better.

Two other things I'd tell myself (within 20 seconds, in addition to my first response): Skip that 2nd college. Wasn't worth time and $$$. And stay out of debt!!

KaiYeves
2011-Nov-30, 09:40 PM
(Disclaimer: I am 18, so I was 15 only three years ago.)

Don't click the link to the shock site, don't even bother applying to Yale because you get rejected, and don't get so attached to Constellation, and even though you're probably not going to listen to me about that last one, you really should.

profloater
2011-Nov-30, 10:58 PM
1. Don't panic, there are thousands of women and you won't meet them all this year.
2.Choose a subject you really like ( OK you did already)
3 (the important one) ask you parents about their youth, ask you grandparents too, make notes, later when they are dead you will want t know more I guarantee),
4. Use the holidays you have now to get some travel in, you can learn about timeclocks later.
5 learn to dance it will prove useful in relation to 1.
6 learn to think for yourself by questioning what your peers say but keep quiet about it.
7 listen to what old people say and make sure you don't make their mistakes.
8. Girls do not make clear signals, learn to ask them what they want, it, pays off.
9 get drunk only once and with real friends, and never again.

Van Rijn
2011-Nov-30, 11:12 PM
By far, the biggest message I'd have:

1 - Your future nephew will die by a drunk driver if he goes to the river on July 4th.

After that, a quick stock tip. No doubt that would have unintended consequences, but some of those could be great consequences.

In 20 seconds there isn't much I'd want to tell myself about my future self, so I think I'd just avoid that.

I'd be tempted to warn about 9/11 but I can think of a lot of ways that could go wrong, so I think I'd avoid that.

Gillianren
2011-Nov-30, 11:33 PM
Okay, possibly "record Grandma's stories now" would do.

Nicolas
2011-Dec-01, 08:15 AM
Apart from the obvious lottery numbers and "buy all the Apple shares you can get NOW but avoid their products", I'd warn about a certain girl and hint about another certain girl. And give the advice to buy those oldtimer sportscars and instruments NOW. Loan money to buy them. If you think they're expensive now, think again in 15 years. :)

Oh, and somehow buy a house now. You'll be rich in 15 years.

jfribrg
2011-Dec-01, 02:44 PM
Oh, and somehow buy a house now. You'll be rich in 15 years.

Remember to emphasize that that it is extremely important to sell said house in 2007.

dastardly
2011-Dec-01, 02:51 PM
I would hit on. The girls I liked and say don't get drunk. Then I proved Apollo landings were in a car

ToSeek
2011-Dec-01, 03:54 PM
"It gets better. It gets a whole lot better. Oh, and buy Apple stock, but only after Steve Jobs comes back."

Paracelsus
2011-Dec-01, 04:07 PM
"Get your hair our of your face, wax your eyebrows, and lose the glasses. Also, go for a run once in a while."

closetgeek
2011-Dec-01, 04:36 PM
Yes, it's more difficult to learn now but it's no excuse for your grades. Don't wait till third quarter of your senior year to try because you will kick yourself.

Swift
2011-Dec-01, 04:42 PM
Realistically, if somehow one was put in this situation, you would probably spend the entire 20 seconds going "... no really, I am you from about 40 years in the future... no really, look, no, just listen... look, I only have about 15 seconds left so please pay attention, no I don't have time to prove it, just listen for 10 seconds, I want to tell you about this company called Apple, no it has nothing to do with the fruit, listen this is going to make you a lot of money..." <puff>

Paul Beardsley
2011-Dec-01, 04:58 PM
"I am you from 33 years in the future. You haven't heard of Novikov yet, but you've already worked out the principle of self-consistency, so ask yourself this: why do I have no recollection of this meeting? Oh, and you will get fiction published professionally, but it will be hard work and it won't make you rich."

Paul Beardsley
2011-Dec-01, 05:08 PM
Realistically, if somehow one was put in this situation, you would probably spend the entire 20 seconds going "... no really, I am you from about 40 years in the future...

Speak for yourself.

When I was 12 I had two maths teachers who wore identical clothes and looked very alike except that one was older than the other. I spent some time believing they were the same person, and one had travelled in time.

I say "believing" - more accurately, it was simply the explanation I preferred. If they'd merely been related, they'd have had the same surname. They were obviously the same person and one was using an alias to allay suspicion. They - or rather he - had no idea that I was on to them/him.

starcanuck64
2011-Dec-01, 05:53 PM
"It's not always going to be like this, hang in there...Oh and buy Microsoft"

Gillianren
2011-Dec-01, 07:55 PM
You know, the advice to buy Apple or Microsoft was already a no-brainer when some of us were fifteen.

AndreH
2011-Dec-01, 08:14 PM
You know, the advice to buy Apple or Microsoft was already a no-brainer when some of us were fifteen.
Maybe for them some stocks of a former Finnish paper and rubber product producer named Nokia would do.

KaiYeves
2011-Dec-01, 09:38 PM
Realistically, if somehow one was put in this situation, you would probably spend the entire 20 seconds going "... no really, I am you from about 40 years in the future... no really, look, no, just listen...
I hope this doesn't sound crazy, but I do have a procedure worked out in the event that this ever happens, although I only thought of it last year, so it wouldn't work for proving who I was to my past self at any age younger than 17.

starcanuck64
2011-Dec-02, 02:17 AM

Ahh... to be young again.

Swift
2011-Dec-02, 03:47 AM
Originally Posted by Swift
Realistically, if somehow one was put in this situation, you would probably spend the entire 20 seconds going "... no really, I am you from about 40 years in the future... no really, look, no, just listen...I hope this doesn't sound crazy, but I do have a procedure worked out in the event that this ever happens, although I only thought of it last year, so it wouldn't work for proving who I was to my past self at any age younger than 17.
:D A little crazy, but a good kind of crazy. Brilliant, but crazy. But heck, this place is filled with those of us who are "a little bit crazy", myself included.

R.A.F.
2011-Dec-02, 03:55 AM
If I had 20 seconds, I would tell my younger self to be by my Dad's side the day of September 5th, 2008...

Perhaps if I had been there, he might not have died...at the very least, he wouldn't have died alone...

R.A.F.
2011-Dec-02, 03:57 AM
But heck, this place is filled with those of us who are "a little bit crazy", myself included.

Nonsense...your moderation isn't that bad...

RAF exits...stage right...in a hurry. :)

swampyankee
2011-Dec-02, 10:56 AM

and

No lottery when I was 15, so that wouldn't help :-(

In any case, it wouldn't help to tell my 15 year-old self anything. I wouldn't listen.

HenrikOlsen
2011-Dec-02, 12:00 PM
"It won't kill you if she says no, so ask even if you expect rejection."

Actually that's one I'm still trying to convince myself of, perhaps of I told me then, with 20 added years of trying it'll start working RealSoonNowTM

MAPNUT
2011-Dec-02, 01:44 PM
You're all forgetting to add to your Buy Apple and Buy Microsoft advice, "and SELL it by.....(do research, insert date)"

AndreH
2011-Dec-02, 02:05 PM
You're all forgetting to add to your Buy Apple and Buy Microsoft advice, "and SELL it by.....(do research, insert date)"

If you would have bought early enough it would not matter.

The Backroad Astronomer
2011-Dec-02, 02:07 PM
:D A little crazy, but a good kind of crazy. Brilliant, but crazy. But heck, this place is filled with those of us who are "a little bit crazy", myself included.

Speak for yourself, I am the King of England.

a1call
2011-Dec-05, 05:16 AM
*- The secret to happiness is to under schedule.
*- "No pain, no gain" is the biggest setback to mankind, so take it easy and enjoy yourself.

DonM435
2011-Dec-05, 05:37 AM
"Don't believe anything just because you're told to."

jrkeller
2011-Dec-05, 04:28 PM
Make sure your glasses are new before you take the astronaut physical.

Take Jan to the prom

Don't marry Patricia

Solfe
2011-Dec-05, 06:45 PM
Me (now): "Do not give up oil painting. Do not buy a motorcycle; chicks DO dig a great ride however they get annoyed with guys who complain about back injuries. The following teachers and people are important <insert list here>, the following people and teachers are NOT important <insert list here>. Learn programing and keep up with math. Dress nicely every day, smile and be kind to everyone."
15 year old Me: "Huh?"
Me (now): "Oh Jesus, I should have simply asked my High School Principal to have the 15 year old Me tested again."

schlaugh
2011-Dec-05, 07:01 PM
(Assuming the buy Apple, etc. advice)
Find a good math tutor. Exercise daily. Take voice lessons. Learn to wear contact lenses and when something called lasik comes along, do it.. Go hug mom, tell her you'll be fine and she'll be proud. Beware of father figure surrogates. Consume beer in college instead of...other stuff.

Gillianren
2011-Dec-05, 08:32 PM
" . . . Chicks DO dig a great ride however they get annoyed with guys who complain about back injuries."

Um . . . I'm much more interested in the person than the car they're driving, and so are all the "chicks" who are my friends.

jrkeller
2011-Dec-05, 08:35 PM
I just timed myself. You can say a lot in 20 seconds.

Additional ones.

You have dyslexia.

Place a bet on a guy named Obama to be president.

KaiYeves
2011-Dec-05, 10:11 PM
Go to the events celebrating the Phoenix touchdown on Mars or to the Apollo 11 40th anniversary gala. Get in there any way you can. Find the blond congresswoman from Arizona and WARN her.

swampyankee
2011-Dec-06, 12:26 AM

Youngster!

One of my college roommates had the very first PC, built before the Apple I, so I could not recommend either Apple or Microsoft as neither existed when I was 15. I'd probably suggest investing in Chinese-language instruction schools.

Romanus
2011-Dec-06, 12:32 AM
Get a job as soon as you're able, don't drink, and stick with geology in college, no matter what people say.

Solfe
2011-Dec-06, 05:27 AM
Um . . . I'm much more interested in the person than the car they're driving, and so are all the "chicks" who are my friends.

There was an evening where I had to make a choice between driving my future wife home or her friend because of the bike. Since I bought the bike to rebel against adults, using a reasonable (to a fifteen year old) argument guarantees 15 year old me would buy a bike some day. If I had said, "If you HAVE buy a motorcycle to meet your future-wife" 15 year old me would have bought a hang glider or something really stupid and wrecked my life.

Gillianren
2011-Dec-06, 07:08 AM
And that, boys and girls, is why you wouldn't actually want to give your fifteen-year-old self a lot of advice; it means you might not have the parts of your life that you want.

Githyanki
2011-Dec-06, 05:19 PM
I'd be tempted to kill my 15 year-old self. If I died when I was fifteen, how could my future-self go back and kill myself?

Secondly, going back in time would be creating matter that already exists; wouldn't there be a lot of energy released if I did? Something like a nuclear explosion?

"Trademark / Copyright every thing in this format, example, "www.Windows95.com" etc." and wait for them to contact you with checks."

redshifter
2011-Dec-06, 09:53 PM

Hmm...you must've not read my earlier post on this thread...

mfumbesi
2011-Dec-07, 07:10 AM
Everything will be ok. Focus on your Math and Physics. In University choose Physics (and some Software Engineering courses) and finally buy a house as soon as you can.... and sell it in 2007.

Mr Q
2011-Dec-12, 08:16 PM
Think and behave accordingly using the organ inside your skull - NOT the one in your pants or dress:rolleyes:

flynjack1
2011-Dec-13, 04:25 AM
1. Dont be intimidated by anyone and I mean anyone.

swampyankee
2011-Dec-13, 10:27 PM
Do something resembling a sport, even golf.

Inclusa
2011-Dec-14, 08:22 AM
Give up games and your life will never be the same.

Nicolas
2011-Dec-14, 05:21 PM
1. Dont be intimidated by anyone and I mean anyone.

You risk imploding the Universe here.

Because if your 15 year old follows your advice, he was intimidated by his older self. And if he doesn't follow your advice, he indeed wasn't intimidated as asked.

My brain hurts.

Solfe
2011-Dec-15, 12:11 AM
There is this tiny evil part of me that likes to mess with people. Especially young people.

"No one will believe this now, but the Canadians will invade. They want their Winnipeg Jets back. I strongly suggest you get yourself a Tim Horton's franchise."

Nicolas
2011-Dec-16, 01:35 PM
the Canadians will invade.

When the Canadians park their tank accidentally at the wrong side of the border, is it a full force invasion?

Gomar
2011-Dec-19, 03:12 AM
dont waste $$$ on a car in NYC
dont waste $$$ and time on those girls
dont waste time chillin' with the homeboys
apply to a better college
watch less TV
invest in Google

darkhunter
2011-Dec-19, 02:38 PM
Hi, I'm future you. [Tell me my secret time travel password]. Things work out OK eventually--these will make sense when the time comes:
1. Put the truck engine and transmission into the maverick and sell the truck instead of just getting a new one when the clutch goes and you can't afford a new one.
2. Fix the windshield on the Plymouth and take it with you instead of the Explorer when you go to England the second time.
3. Mail you CDs to yourself and get a different moving company than what the Air Force sends when you leave England the second time--the first one steals you knife collection.

KaiYeves
2011-Dec-22, 12:39 AM
Hi, I'm future you. [Tell me my secret time travel password].
Phew, somebody else on here has one!

mike alexander
2011-Dec-29, 03:08 PM
Don't bother.

Fazor
2011-Dec-29, 04:23 PM
It'd likely be one of the few chances I'd get to make fun of someone less cool than myself, so I'd probably just call me names and beat me up a little.

a1call
2011-Dec-30, 01:38 AM
Phew, somebody else on here has one!
Or does he?
Was the meeting set to be on Baut? :)

snowcelt
2012-Jan-04, 04:02 PM
Stay calm
Be brave
Wait for the signs