PDA

View Full Version : Information?

HAL 9000
2004-Jul-20, 07:22 AM
Hello I am new here. I am Math/Physics student in the United States. I wanted to ask a question. What does an Cosmologists or Astrophysicists mean by "Information" Like "Information" in a blackhole. Can anyone provide any clues.

Thanks HAL 9000

Morrolan
2004-Jul-20, 07:39 AM
good morning, HAL... ;) welcome to the Board.

i think that the answer you seek can be found here (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=15016)...

Chip
2004-Jul-20, 07:50 AM
Hello I am new here. I am Math/Physics student in the United States. I wanted to ask a question. What does an Cosmologists or Astrophysicists mean by "Information" Like "Information" in a blackhole. Can anyone provide any clues. Thanks HAL 9000

"Information" is data. Information could be (for example) the detection of quantum processes in strong gravitational fields.

Stephen Hawking has stated that black holes leak "meaningful information."

Information is the detectable data in patterns or processes related to the physical nature of the object being studied.
Not to be too philosophical - patterns of radiation detected from an exploding star are "information" which relates to the star itself. Others may wish to add better examples.

Welcome to the board. (Open the pod bay doors Hal...I said open the pod bay doors Hal...) :wink:

Philistine
2004-Jul-20, 07:56 AM
My understanding is that information, in the general physical sense, is the properties incorporated in particles. Some examples: the spin of an electron, the wavelength of a photon, or the speed of a proton.

When a particle passes the event horizon of a black hole, the information it carries is lost, because the particle has no way of returning to the rest of the universe. The mass of it may return as other, smaller particles (Hawking Radiation), but the original particle will not.

That's the standard concept. There is debate over whether or not it's entirely true.

I suspect the cleverer members of this board are about to give you a mountain of information on this topic. :D

Philistine
2004-Jul-20, 07:59 AM
:oops: I need to stop lingering over my posts...

Argos
2004-Jul-20, 01:28 PM
Quoting Jim, from the "Hawking will solve riddle of the black holes" thread:

"The information is C-P-T (charge, parity, time) which Quantum Theory says must be mainatined. Hawking initially said this information was irretrievably lost in the black hole, a major violation of QM which he explained by saying massive gravity destroyed QM. "

Charlie in Dayton
2004-Jul-20, 08:08 PM
Hello I am new here. I am Math/Physics student in the United States. I wanted to ask a question. What does an Cosmologists or Astrophysicists mean by "Information" Like "Information" in a blackhole. Can anyone provide any clues.

Thanks HAL 9000

Math/physics student? Not bad for someone who's only seven... :o

HAL 9000
2004-Jul-21, 06:38 AM
Thanks for the post. I really apreciate it.

Math/physics student? Not bad for someone who's only seven...

Thanks for the complement. I guess I have at least a 2-5 decades lead over you.

Yorkshireman
2004-Jul-21, 11:27 AM

Just to defuse things here - I reckon Charlie was light-heartedly referring to the birthday of HAL 9000. Which was 12 January 1997 in the book (but 1992 in the film for some reason...)

Rob

HAL 9000
2004-Jul-21, 05:36 PM

Just to defuse things here - I reckon Charlie was light-heartedly referring to the birthday of HAL 9000. Which was 12 January 1997 in the book (but 1992 in the film for some reason...)

Rob

Then I apolgize for my misunderstanding then. Sorry Charlie from Dayton