PDA

View Full Version : Is there a dentist in the house

Sticks
2011-Dec-03, 06:13 PM
For over a week I have been having dental pain, related to a tooth that was third from the back in my upper left jaw. This was one that a while back had been a deep root filling with a crown and post.

Today I finally managed to get to the dentist, and it seemed that somehow an infection started and that tooth had to be extracted.

I have attached the X-Ray taken from before the extraction. The middle tooth on the image is the problem tooth and the shadow at the root is the infection.

I am now experiencing post op pain. I was not proscribed antibiotics so what happens to the infection now that tooth is gone.

How long will this post op pain be? I have been on Ibuprofen and Codine since Thursday evening. The box says I should only use this for three days, my sister who is a pharmacist says I should be ok to take them until Sunday

swampyankee
2011-Dec-03, 07:00 PM
First suggestion? Call dentist. Report pain. Ask about antibiotics.

Sticks
2011-Dec-03, 07:14 PM
At the time I asked about antibiotics and she did not believe they were required and she must have had a reason. There has been reported recently in the UK press an issue with the over prescribing of antibiotics. I got some fact sheet and it does mention taking pain killers if necessary, only as needed.

It does mention if there is persistent swelling, discomfort or bleeding then contact the dental surgery, but how long should persistent be? Someone on another forum says theirs lasted for 24 hours and a faint ache for another two days

PraedSt
2011-Dec-03, 07:43 PM
Assuming that your codeine is non-prescription strength, do what your pharmacist says and take them till Sunday. You can take Ibuprofen or Aspirin until the pain goes away (but don't exceed daily dose).

publius
2011-Dec-03, 09:29 PM
Sticks,

I've had a lot of tooth experience, mainly because of my own stupidity as young man. It has cost me dearly. :)

What you had happened to me, and that X-ray looks familiar. A persistant infection down in the bone around a root canal. They saved the tooth, but it cost money (All in all, it was a smidge over $2K to save it). They did what they call an "apicoectomy", an oral surgery procedure where they cut it open and expose the root tips and clean out the area and cut out the root tips and replace it with some filling material.

Even after that, infection persisted. I didn't feel a thing, but it showed up on X-ray at a follow up visit. They then did a root canal on an adjacent tooth, which they thought might have been damaged by all the previous infection (another $800). That solved the problem and killed the persistant infection.

If all of that hadn't worked, the tooth (and maybe more than one) would've had to come out, and that's what they told me. You can spend a bunch and try to save it with a decent chance of failure, or we can just pull it to begin with. I figured in for a penny, in for a pound.

Watch that tooth extraction site and have them take a look at it again. There is a condition called "dry socket" that can develop, which is very painful, and if the infection continues, things can get serious, affecting adjacent teeth.

-Richard

starcanuck64
2011-Dec-03, 09:34 PM
I had a problem with a molar in the same position earlier this year that was extracted. I was put on a course of Clarithromycin to clear up the infection and Tylenol 3 for three days for the pain. The pain was the worst the second day and fairly serious for about a week. After that it was more of a nusiance.

closetgeek
2011-Dec-04, 03:07 AM
At the time I asked about antibiotics and she did not believe they were required and she must have had a reason. There has been reported recently in the UK press an issue with the over prescribing of antibiotics. I got some fact sheet and it does mention taking pain killers if necessary, only as needed.

It does mention if there is persistent swelling, discomfort or bleeding then contact the dental surgery, but how long should persistent be? Someone on another forum says theirs lasted for 24 hours and a faint ache for another two days

It will probably be tender for a few days, depending on the method of extraction; did your dentist just grab hold and work it loose by moving it back and forth or did he push the gums back first? If the bleeding (beyond light streaks in your saliva, persists for more than 24 hours, call your dentist. If you had an infection below the gum line, it may take a little longer for the tenderness to go away. Generally, the infection will drain out after the tooth has been removed but if you are feeling fullon throbbing, you may need antibiotics. You should just call your dentist to be sure, though.

Sticks
2011-Dec-04, 05:58 AM
The first bit she removed by working it loose was the post and crown, then she somehow removed the root. It seemed to be quite quick, so not sure how it was done. Was told that it claim out cleanly.

This morning, the gum in the area feels bruised and hurts.

The left side of the lower jaw feels strained

closetgeek
2011-Dec-06, 02:17 PM
The first bit she removed by working it loose was the post and crown, then she somehow removed the root. It seemed to be quite quick, so not sure how it was done. Was told that it claim out cleanly.

This morning, the gum in the area feels bruised and hurts.

The left side of the lower jaw feels strained

I am not trying to sound like an expert but I've had two molars and a wisdom tooth extracted and this is just my experience. The first dentist just grabbed hold of the tooth and rocked it back and forth until it came loose. The second dentist to got the other molar and the wisdom tooth (sorry if this gives you the same chills it gives me) separates the gums from the tooth, first. It sounds like the second should be more painful but he does it when I am numb and seems to cause less trauma to the surrounding gums. When he does it, it feels creepy and literally makes me squirm in the chair but the recovery is drastically shorter. Working it loose sounds like your dentist did it the first way so the tenderness seems pretty typical. The strain; are you feeling muscle strain?

Sticks
2011-Dec-06, 02:59 PM
The strain seems to be diminishing and am off the pain killers

captain swoop
2011-Dec-06, 04:51 PM
Sounds like normal post extraction pain to me. Your gum and jaw is torn and bruised. It will hurt for a few days.

SeanF
2011-Dec-07, 03:58 PM
I've wondered about this, because people always say that extractions are so sore afterwards. I had all four wisdom teeth out a year or so ago, and didn't really have any pain at all afterwards. Maybe the infection contributes to the residual pain?

It's also, I suppose, possible that my jaw wasn't sore afterwards because I wasn't tensing up at all during the procedure. I was so very, very relaxed, if you take my meaning.

Trebuchet
2011-Dec-07, 09:19 PM
I've wondered about this, because people always say that extractions are so sore afterwards. I had all four wisdom teeth out a year or so ago, and didn't really have any pain at all afterwards. Maybe the infection contributes to the residual pain?

It's also, I suppose, possible that my jaw wasn't sore afterwards because I wasn't tensing up at all during the procedure. I was so very, very relaxed, if you take my meaning.

You must have had pretty easy wisdom teath. Mine were so impacted they couldn't be extracted intact. The oral surgeon literally had to take a hammer and chisel to them. I had massive swelling and was in a codeine haze for several days.

Van Rijn
2011-Dec-07, 09:50 PM
You must have had pretty easy wisdom teath. Mine were so impacted they couldn't be extracted intact. The oral surgeon literally had to take a hammer and chisel to them.

Mine were impacted too. They gave me conscious sedation, so I don't remember the procedure at all. What I do remember is that soon after the operation, there wasn't much pain or swelling. It took a couple of days for it to swell up after the operation. Just like when you bash your thumb, it can take awhile to get the full effects of bruising and irritated tissue. Even though I didn't have dry socket, there was a fair amount of discomfort for a week or so. Nothing compared to when I had an infection in a capped tooth, though. I had one of those that was almost as painful as kidney stones. When you get to that level of pain, codeine is pretty much irrelevant (as is ibuprofen).

DoggerDan
2011-Dec-07, 10:04 PM
I had a similar problem, having put off a needed root canal for more than a year. My infection looked almost exactly like yours on the x-rays, and hurt a little bit day 1, but by day 3 it hurt like a moo!

They got me in on Day 3, did the root canal, and proscribed antibiotics. The pain took about a day to subside, the discomfort took about a week. X-rays a month later showed the infection was gone.

I assume they gave me antibiotics because they left the tooth in place. They may not have given you antibiotics because they removed your tooth, allowing the area to drain. Even if the pain fully subsides, I'd still ask them about antibiotics. That's your head, you're talking about! Don't want an infection, there!

Sticks
2011-Dec-07, 10:35 PM
Am still apprehensive about eating on the side where the tooth was, and as soon as I eat anything,I use the mouthwash

Which reminds me I need to go and use the mouthwash as I was eating out tonight and clean forgot...

DoggerDan
2011-Dec-12, 06:06 AM
You clean forgot? Or forgot to clean? !

SeanF
2011-Dec-12, 11:16 AM
You must have had pretty easy wisdom teath. Mine were so impacted they couldn't be extracted intact.
Well, I don't know about easy - the dentist who was doing the procedure had to take me to an oral surgeon because she couldn't get the teeth out. But they weren't impacted.

They gave me conscious sedation, so I don't remember the procedure at all.
Same here. That's why I mentioned that I wasn't tensed up during the procedure. :)

Which reminds me I need to go and use the mouthwash as I was eating out tonight and clean forgot...
Ah, yes, the mouthwash. I was rinsing out with the mouthwash a day or two after the procedure, and found out there was a small hole in one of the sockets. I realized it when I felt some of the mouthwash squirt up through into my nasal cavity. Didn't exactly hurt, but, man, did it feel wrong. :lol: