PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Supergiant Sne progenitors

trinitree88
2011-Dec-04, 04:53 PM
According to author, Cyril Georgy, a problem occurs when archived images are searched for some supernovae progenitors. Yellow supergiants, (YSG), come up that are in a position in the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram inconsistent with most theoretical progenitors....unless they evolved from red supergiants (RSG), that experienced an as yet physically inexplicable, but clearly model-able increase in mass rate loss by a factor of between 3 and 10 times the normal rate. That's a mystery worth seeking out. pete

SEE:http://arxiv.org/abs/1111.7003

antoniseb
2011-Dec-04, 04:55 PM
Somehow the excitement (or threat) of nearby Supernovae makes paper like this very interesting to me.

chornedsnorkack
2011-Dec-04, 08:00 PM
Is Canopus an imminent supernova progenitor?

Cougar
2011-Dec-05, 01:24 AM
According to author, Cyril Georgy, a problem occurs when archived images are searched for some supernovae progenitors. Yellow supergiants, (YSG), come up that are in a position in the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram inconsistent with most theoretical progenitors....unless they evolved from red supergiants (RSG), that experienced an as yet physically inexplicable, but clearly model-able increase in mass rate loss by a factor of between 3 and 10 times the normal rate. That's a mystery worth seeking out.

Did the author actually say "physically inexplicable"? Aren't supergiants prodigious losers of mass? Was our understanding of their lifecycles that precise, particularly on the question of lifetime mass loss? I'm glad these guys modeled the solution.

trinitree88
2011-Dec-05, 06:24 PM
Did the author actually say "physically inexplicable"? Aren't supergiants prodigious losers of mass? Was our understanding of their lifecycles that precise, particularly on the question of lifetime mass loss? I'm glad these guys modeled the solution.

Cougar. In the conclusions...."even if the mechanism for these high mass loss rates has still to be determined..."says that it's unexplained why at this point. pete