PDA

View Full Version : A nice little astronomy add-on...

Charlie in Dayton
2004-Jul-20, 08:36 PM
The "WeatherBug" program is a little bitty dealybopper that sits down on the taskbar...gives you the current local temperature, and when you bring the program to the foreground you can get the forecast, the radar image, live cameras, weather alerts, and more for just about anywhere...it's set to run off zip codes.

My co-worker showed me something in the latest version (6.0), and I immediately upgraded (it's advertiser supported, so it's free, although if you want to you can drop a few bucks for an ad-free version). It's an interactive sky map, settable for date and time and location (via zip code). It shows planets&names, major stars&names, constellation lines & labels, selected deep sky objects (M31, Double Cluster) and special events...you can click and drag the image to pan the sky...this is just so neato...yer own little bitty interactive sky map at your fingertips, no browser need be enabled...this is just flat cool...

http://www.weatherbug.com/aws/60home.asp

You can even preview it on your browser before downloading.

I've had WeatherBug on my machine now for at least two years (and several different versions). It's a useful little program, to keep track of what's happening on the other side of the concrete blocks...and now, it's even better...it shows me what's happening after the sun goes down.

Check it out. This one gets two thumbs up from me...

Did I mention it was free?

DigitalKnight
2004-Jul-20, 08:56 PM
Charlie,

I know that this is off topic but you might want to check your computer for spyware after updating Weatherbug, I had a nasty little bit hitchhike its way on my work computer after installing Weatherbug a couple of versions ago.

Charlie in Dayton
2004-Jul-20, 09:42 PM
Not a bad idea...

I ran Ad Aware and SpyBot, and didn't find anything out of the ordinary (considering how much surfing I do). Still, better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks for the tip!

Brendan
2004-Jul-20, 10:29 PM
I remember reading somewhere that there are two Weatherbugs, one with spyware and the one discussed here.

Brendan

Morrolan
2004-Jul-21, 02:16 AM
but it only works in the US... :(