PDA

View Full Version : Coming Attraction: Geminid Meteor Shower 2011

Fraser
2011-Dec-07, 02:40 AM
Its the finale of this year’s meteor showers: The Geminids will start appearing on Dec. 7 and should reach peak activity around the 13th and 14th. This shower could put on a display of up to 100+ meteors (shooting stars) per hour under good viewing conditions. However, conditions this year are not ideal with the [...]

More... (http://www.universetoday.com/91600/coming-attraction-geminid-meteor-shower-2011/)

Buzz-Lite-Punch
2011-Dec-13, 07:55 PM
I heard about this early today and I was wondering around what time at night over the southern coast of Dorset UK?
I’ll take peek outside I can clear see Jupiter is visible and I seen it before with telescope and its a bit cold outside tonight to stand around for hours.

So what time is the peak for the Geminids?
Cheers

Buzz-Lite-Punch
2011-Dec-13, 08:38 PM
I took a look around 20:00 hours and within 15mins I counted 5 Geminids that appeared to be coming from the south east around the same direction to where the moon is tonight.

Around 20:15 it started to cloud up with a misty few miles high, it always does and it spoils the event!:doh:

Buzz-Lite-Punch
2011-Dec-14, 12:05 AM
I just looked out the window and nothing but cloud, cloud, cloud SIGH sodden cloud! Oh I hope its cloudy in the morning and pissing down with rain because its messed up my, evening for some stargazing.